EMERGENCY: Plants having to be without light - Landlord

marleyxc

Well, this is my first time posting because I've been kind of lurking around for awhile. I didn't really want to say much about my grow room just to be extra safe, but today, something bad has happened and I really need some ideas/help.

So, our landlord is trying to get insurance on the house we live in and because of that we had an inspection today. We had to move the grow room to a container somewhere safe where there is no light. The inspection was supposed to be early in the morning so we figured the plants would be without light for a few hours at most off of their normal light schedule. They have now been without light for almost the whole day and apparently when they came out to inspect the place, found we had a damanged floor joist that needs to be replace soon. They don't know when or how long it will take but the problem is, the plants are in the last 3-4 weeks of flowering now and this really isn't the best time to be moving them around. I need to know if they'll be ok without light for the rest of the day and possibly the next or what the deal is. Anyone have any ideas? They're in a Hydro container, so the roots are getting water, but the bubble disc isn't running, neither is the air pump, and they're not getting any light. Help!

Thanks man. I'm really hoping we can get this figured out. We were trying to see if we could get the repair pushed till the first or second week in January, but it's looking like a no-go. Still waiting to hear from the landlord. This is probably the worst time for this to happen. I don't think I could possibly be busier... haha. We're considering taking it to a friend's house, the problem is, it's not the most secure location which puts us at quite a risk. We're also considering cutting our losses and harvesting super early, but this seems like it's just throwing away all the time and effort put into these gorgeous plants. Especially when it's at a time where they're really thriving and budding great. I really hope we can figure something out. I'm trying to figure out what the longest is they can go without light, but not having much luck...

Hmm... man... this sucks... Well, we just got a call from the landlord and they're pushing to have this repaired as soon as possible. I guess we'll know more tomorrow since they're closing for the day now. The cabinet we have them in contains them all well and has room to mount a small flurescent. Is that an option? They're used to a 400watt HPS, so it's going to be quite a cutback but would this be better than nothing? The cabinet its in is a nice sized rubbermaid toolshed thing, so it's fairly well contained, we'd just need to rig up the fluro's to some batteries or run or cord or something. Ideas?

Well the only problem is their light cycle is up in less than 2 hrs and from what I've gathered it sounds like it's better to give them no light than a crazy ass cycle. How hard on them is it if we switch the cycle? It was going from 7am - 7pm. Will it really eff them up if we go from 7PM to 7AM?

Hello Marleyxc, my names Urdedpal. I am totally stoned right now but I am going to try and help LOL.
First and formost is security so I hope the girls don't put out heavy odors. If you think your security has been compromized you should cash out now.
If you have to put the girls in the dark for a period of time just keep them in the dark. What you don't want to do is give them a crazy light schedule, this really freaks out most pot plants and is well known to cause hermie problems. A hermie is a plant with both male and female flowers. So once you start the light cycle it is best to use all 12 hours of light then total darkness for 12 hours or more.

Hey Urdedpal,

Thanks for the tips. Right now our security hasn't been compromised, but we're having to take a lot of risks I'd really rather not have to take. I think the container will work for a few days as long as they can hold on with not getting any light. The thing that worries me is this could go on for another day or two. We're still waiting to see when they'll be out to fix the floor, so we'll see. If they decide to wait until next week since tomorrow is Friday, we could probably set them up for the weekend and then put them back in the box the day they come to repair. I don't know... this sucks... haha. Thanks everyone for all your input so far. Keep the ideas coming!

switch the light cycle so that your 12 hours of light is during the night time hours (when nobody will be working at your house). Then have it dark during the day. kinda simple actually. That's how my schedule has been since the beginning.

well, i was thinking about doing that, i just wonder how much it will screw with the plants. you sure that's not going to screw it up?

I really wouldn't change the light cycle at this stage unless you could do it a few hours at a time. I could be wrong, that is just what I have read.

I would agree. I have read the same info on these boards. However, If he has no idea when they are coming to fix the rafter I would recommend changing the light cycle immidately. Yeah, it is said that changing the light cycle during a grow can have an adverse affects on your plants such as Herm and or stunted growth. At this stage of the grow I would think he may suffer from a plant turning herm put not so much stunted growth. Even 1 herm plant won't fill all your buds with seeds. I've had a couple unseen herm plants in 2 of my grows. Only reason I knew it was because a "few" buds had seeds. It didn't affect my entire grow. So, basically what I'm saying is I wouldn't risk getting caught simply because you didn't wanna deal with a few seeds in the grow. Better to be safe then sorry IMO.

I've switched them before from day to night and it does stress the plants. I'm not saying you can't do it, but just make sure to compensate with good foliar feeding (maybe some of Moose's Sea Tea).

Back
Top Bottom