Emmie's Backyard Fermented Plant Extracts From Dandelions!

Hi Emilya Any thoughts or insights into the possible use of common plantain in these nutritional supplements?

I ask in part because I have a yard full of it so having a use for it would be great :dude-knocking:
I had to look it up, and yes, there are some nutrients that are being accumulated by your plantains. Let's compare it to Dandelion:

DandelionNaSiMgCaKPFeCu
PlantainsSiMgCaFe

and in addition to this, plantains also accumulate Sulphur (S) and Manganese (Mn), but do not accumulate Sodium (Na)

Thanks so much thats great info and comparison.

Bottom line then is 'of some value but not as good as dandelions'.

Is sulpher helpful in small quantities?
Yes, sulphur is one of the trace elements that are needed in our grows. Not much out there is as good as the dandelion, which is known because of this as a SUPERaccumulator.

Thank you so much for the reply , I will look into those products , I am starting my own supersoil soon , I gotta get all the ingredients together but I want to start recycling my used soil , I work full time and have 3 kids so money is tight in my family and the less I can spend on my grows the better off we all are , so in a way this is a blessing for me, so once I get my soil going and I get my dandelion enhancement going , I can cut out the gaja green?? The only reason I went to gaja was that I am so busy and barley have time to shower at night let alone mix nutes Ppms and other stuff , now I just keep a 5 gal pale with water in it , airstone and adjust ph when need be 6.5-6.8 is where I seem to have the best results , do you have any links on making your supersoil and the process’s you do ?? But I am defiantly going to start my dandelion fermentation soon as possible I have about 5 5 gal pales full of dandelions now so I am ready to go. I have actually heard of recharge but my local hydro stores don’t carry it . I also made my first online purchase the other day a ac infinity inline fan, and it’s been a nightmare it has cost me 140$ more then it should ( not knowing I have to pay a fee to cross the boarder ) I am a little old school and like to physically purchase things. I will have to hunt down the recharge and give it a shot, I would really like to learn how to make the fish fert . I have the space to do this stuff now and can’t wait to get on the “ self sustainable” organic ferts , in the end its all about getting a quality harvest on as little money spent as possible. But in all honesty I have to say you are one of the most knowledgeable people I have ever encountered in regards to the organic growing . I am so glad I found your material. Can’t wait to see how this grow turns out with the dandelions. Do you have any problems with pests in your indoor garden ? Have a nice day em @Emilya

Thank you so much for the reply , I will look into those products , I am starting my own supersoil soon , I gotta get all the ingredients together but I want to start recycling my used soil , I work full time and have 3 kids so money is tight in my family and the less I can spend on my grows the better off we all are , so in a way this is a blessing for me, so once I get my soil going and I get my dandelion enhancement going , I can cut out the gaja green?? The only reason I went to gaja was that I am so busy and barley have time to shower at night let alone mix nutes Ppms and other stuff , now I just keep a 5 gal pale with water in it , airstone and adjust ph when need be 6.5-6.8 is where I seem to have the best results , do you have any links on making your supersoil and the process’s you do ?? But I am defiantly going to start my dandelion fermentation soon as possible I have about 5 5 gal pales full of dandelions now so I am ready to go. I have actually heard of recharge but my local hydro stores don’t carry it . I also made my first online purchase the other day a ac infinity inline fan, and it’s been a nightmare it has cost me 140$ more then it should ( not knowing I have to pay a fee to cross the boarder ) I am a little old school and like to physically purchase things. I will have to hunt down the recharge and give it a shot, I would really like to learn how to make the fish fert . I have the space to do this stuff now and can’t wait to get on the “ self sustainable” organic ferts , in the end its all about getting a quality harvest on as little money spent as possible. But in all honesty I have to say you are one of the most knowledgeable people I have ever encountered in regards to the organic growing . I am so glad I found your material. Can’t wait to see how this grow turns out with the dandelions. Do you have any problems with pests in your indoor garden ? Have a nice day em @Emilya
Someone like you is exactly why I put all the effort into documenting all of this stuff. Growing pot doesn't have to be expensive. Everywhere you look, someone is trying to sell you something and seemingly the more you spend, the better your grow must become. I called BS on this years ago and decided that I was done making people rich by using and promoting grow systems designed to keep you on the dole.
Yes, dandelions and a bit of banana juice and some calmag made out of eggshells can be all the extra nutrients you could possibly need, given that you have a minerally rich and living rhizosphere. You will have no need for the GG. You will have no need to worry about pH or PPM either. Life will become much simpler and your grows will become much cheaper, especially considering that you can also reuse the soil. At the start you need to start buying some basics and some raw materials to keep your soil rich and to make effective compost teas. None of this is wasted though, and one purchase of a raw ingredient will last you several years... your cost per grow compared to any other method, will plummet and with each grow you get under your belt, your return on your investment will exponentially increase. Not to mention that by growing organically and naturally, you are growing the best pot that it is possible to get. If you do this right, every variety that you bring into your garden will be able to express itself to its fullest potential. There is no comparison.
I do not have troubles with pests indoors, but that is not without effort. Twice I have brought in something from outside and dealt with bugs for months afterwards. Nothing, absolutely nothing that didn't start with a seed in my tents belongs in there. I also use mulch on the top of my containers to eliminate gnat problems, and so far so good. As far as the myth goes that soil is more prone to pests, my answer is that they don't have to be in there. Be careful, sterilize any commercial soil brought in, and know that soil does not magically produce pests. Also, when you have extremely healthy plants and plants that have been foliar sprayed with beneficial bacteria, they can easily fight off pests and disease. One of the first things I do, starting in veg, is to regularly spray my plants with my lactobacillus serum.
The fish hydrosulfite recipe is sort of hidden in my lactobacillus tutorial... but that is good stuff too. Farmers have used fish parts as fertilizer forever, and this homemade stuff is better than anything you can buy, because it has never been cooked and made inert. True natural organic gardening is messy and alive and not for those afraid of gooey sticky living messes of slimy stuff, but it is soo soo good for our gardens.

Here is a list of dynamic accumulators and the elements they can provide to a fermentation:

Alfalfa: N, Fe
Apples: K
Arrowroot: Ca
Azolla: N
Bamboo: SiO2
Basswood: P, Ca, Mg
Beeches: K
Beeches, European: K, Ca
Birches: P
Birch, black: K, P, Ca
Bladderwreck: I, Mg, Fe
Borage: SiO2, K
Bracken, Eastern: K, P, Mn, Fe, Cu, Co
Brassicas, perennial: P, S
Bridal Bauer: P
Buckwheat: P
Burdock: Fe
Cabbage: B, Ca, Cr, Cu, Fe, N, K, S, Zn
Calamus: N, K, P
Caragreen: Na, N, Ca
Carraway: P
Carrot leaves: Mg, K
Cattail: N
Chamomile, corn: Ca, K
Chamomile, German: Ca, K, P
Chickweed, common: K, P, Mn
Chicory: Ca, K
Chives: Ca, Na
Cleavers: Na, Ca
Clovers: N, P
Coltsfoot: S, Mg, Ca, K, Fe, Cu
Comfrey: SiO2, N, Mg, Ca, K, Fe
Corn: K
Cornflower: P
Dandelion: Na, SiO2, Mg, Ca, K, P, Fe, Cu
Devil's Bit: I, Mg, Fe
Docks: Ca, K, P, Fe
Dogwood, flowering: K, P, Ca
Dulse: Na, I, Mg, Ca, Fe
Eyebright: S, K
Fat hen: Ca, Fe
Fennel: S, K, Na
Flax, seed: Ca
Garlic: F, S, P
Grasses: N, SiO2
Groundsel: Fe
Hickory: K, Ca
Hickory, shagbark: K, P, Ca
Horsetails: SiO2, Mg, Ca, Fe, Co
Iceland Moss: I
Kelp: Na, I, N, Mg, Ca, Fe
Lamb's Quarter: N, Ca, K, P, Mn
Legumes: N
Licorices: P, N2
Linden: P, Ca
Lemon Balm: P
Locust, black: K, Ca, N2
Lupine: N, P
Maples: K
Maple, sugar: K, Ca
Marigold, flowers: P
Meadow Sweet: Na, S, Mg, Ca, P, Fe
Mistletoe: Mg
Mullein, common: S, Mg, K, Fe
Mustards: S, P
Nettle, stinging: Na, S, N, Ca, K, Fe, Cu
Oak, bark: K
Oak, leaves: Ca
Oak, straw: SiO2
Oak, white: P
Parsley: Mg, Ca, K, Fe
Pecan: K, Ca
Pennycress: Zn
Peppermint: Mg, K
Pigweed, red root: Ca, K, P, Fe
Plantains: SiO2, S, Ca, K, Fe, Cu
Primrose: Mg
Pumpkin: K
Purslane: Ca, P, Fe
Rattan Palms: S, K, P
Salad burnet: Fe
Sanicle: K
Sarsaparilla: I
Savory: P
Scarlet pimpernel: Ca
Sheperd's purse: Na, S, Ca
Silverweed: K, Ca, Cu
Skunk Cabbage: Mg
Sorghum: K
Sorrel: Na, Ca, P
Sow thistle: Mg, K, Cu
Spurges: B
Squash: K
Strawberry leaves: Fe
Sugarcane: K
Sunflower: P
Tansy: K
Thistle, Canada: Fe
Thislte, creeping: Ca, K, Fe
Thistle, nodding: Fe
Thistle, Russian: Fe
Toadflax: Mg, Ca, Fe
Tobacco, stems/stalk: N
Two-grooved Milk Vetch: Se
Valerian: SiO2
Vetches: N, K, P, Cu, Co
Violets: P
Walnut: K, P
Walnut, black: K, P, Ca
Water Hyacinth: Cu
Watercress: Na, F, S, Mg, Ca, K, P, Fe
Willow, bark: Mg
Willow, black: Na
Wintergreen: Mg
Yarrow: N, K, P, Cu

B- Boron
Ca- Calcium
Co- Cobalt
Cr- Chromium
Cu- Copper
F- Fluorine
Fe- Iron
I- Iodine
K- Potassium
Mg- Magnesium
Mn- Manganese
Na- Sodium
P- Phosphorous
S- Sulfur
Se- Selenium
SiO2- Silica
Zn- Zinc

So I made some of this stuff in the spring and I only added some sugar once a month now mine smells kinda sweet but there’s still a lot of matter in the veg and bloom jugs , what do you suggest here . Is this stuff usable . It’s been sitting for 6 months almost .

also I have a about 8L of juice from my worm farm , can I store this stuff long term ?

So I made some of this stuff in the spring and I only added some sugar once a month now mine smells kinda sweet but there’s still a lot of matter in the veg and bloom jugs , what do you suggest here . Is this stuff usable . It’s been sitting for 6 months almost .

also I have a about 8L of juice from my worm farm , can I store this stuff long term ?
yes, you can dry it out and store it long term. The pulp that is left over in the dandylion extract can be used by just shaking it all up before applying, or simply strain it out of there and just use the liquid that is left over. I have a gallon jar that is still 2/3 full of the stuff, and it still has pulp in it, but it also has not gone bad in almost 3 years... still smells wonderful! I would have no fear in using it.

yes, you can dry it out and store it long term. The pulp that is left over in the dandylion extract can be used by just shaking it all up before applying, or simply strain it out of there and just use the liquid that is left over. I have a gallon jar that is still 2/3 full of the stuff, and it still has pulp in it, but it also has not gone bad in almost 3 years... still smells wonderful! I would have no fear in using it.
Thank you very much for this tutorial :):peace:

no worries, it is a very good question. Many people put bananas in their compost, because of the heavy K in them. Fermenting could unlock that nutrient into a potent supplement, although I think the eggshell fermentation produces a better all around product for our plants. If I were to ferment banana peels, I would be aware of fruit's natural byproduct, alcohol... and I would use a combination of fermentation with sugar, while also using lactobacillus serum to eat up the alcohol. Plants can stand a bit of alcohol, because it does occur in nature... but you wouldn't want to pour a large amount on them. Lacto can be used to create a more pure nutrient supplement and break down the organic components into their base elements in a container or in the compost pile, and deal with nasty odors and alcohol production. It is for this reason that lactobacillus serum is considered to be the workhorse of the natural organic gardener.
I really think lactobacillus serum needs to be my next project in teen to work with any fermentation I’m doing . So this is what you do here @Emilya add this to your fermentation process?

to the point of bribing a neighborhood kid to bring me a couple of buckets of dandelions.
Hi Emilya - I realize that this thread is reeeeaaaallly old but (so am I) - I have tons of dandelions but was wondering if I could use different weeds or plants along with the dandelions - does it need to be just dandelions???

Hi Emilya - I realize that this thread is reeeeaaaallly old but (so am I) - I have tons of dandelions but was wondering if I could use different weeds or plants along with the dandelions - does it need to be just dandelions???
Yes, you could use other plants along with the dandelions, but why? Stinging Nettles are good too, but there are not a lot of plants that can even come close to the nutrient super-accumulating abilities of the mighty dandelion. If you concentrate your efforts on just collecting a bucket of dandelions, you will end up with one of the best natural fertilizers that can be made, bar none. The ability to use just the roots, just the flowers or just the leaves also allows you to specialize that fertilizer to different phases of the grow too... it really is a remarkable plant.

OK - Gotcha - I figured that would be the answer. Stinging Nettles are not in short supply around here either - guess how I found out about them!!!! Man, my whole arm felt like it had been burned for a full 24 hours!! They scare the hell outta me!!!
Thanx for the info!!! :ciao:

Back
Top Bottom