Emmie's DIY CalMagPhos+ From Eggshells

420-magazine-mobile510034920.jpg

So I added about half a cup of this. It's 'whole' cane sugar. I figure since it's powder... I should let it ferment a little with the rest and then I'll probably just add water??? Probably get something distilled because my tap water is 315 ppm... sourced in the mountain springs nearby and already very high is call, lime, etc. I actually have had no need for added cal mag with my first grows but I have a group of jack Herar and amnesia haze which I expect to be a bit more demanding... hence the cal mag experiment.

Hoping that sugar does it... its as pure and unrefined as it gets.... do it's gotta be good I'm thinking. I only use stevia but I remembered I had a bag of this stuff for when my mom visits .

I'll probably let it ferment one more week and then use it in small amounts on my girl's in early veg. See how they like it... still think it's great my plants will be drinking chianti!!!!

Thanks so much!

XxKitty

That dirty ass thumbnail.... like my literal thumbnail ... not an internet thumbnail is obviously a growers thumbnail!!!! Bahahaha... girl clean your hands.... (I says to myself).

I like this thread. Im curious whats the purpose of cooking the shells? I just crushed up some egg shells and added apple cider vinegar just to see what happens.

I like this thread. Im curious whats the purpose of cooking the shells? I just crushed up some egg shells and added apple cider vinegar just to see what happens.
Hi Smokey... without burning the eggshells or charring the bone, you miss out on the phosphorus. I char mine so that it looks quite black, and then in a grinder I see that even so, there is still a large portion of the inner shell that remains white. Cook them pretty good, and then go a bit further... the phosphorus is quite important.

Emmie

Do you ever foliar feed with this solution? I have a ppm meter and Im wonderimg if anybody has a safe ppm amount if used as a foliar feed.

Yes, I foliar feed at the end of veg, right after bud set and again at weeks 4-5 of flower, but I use a lot more than just this solution. Please check out my dandelion nutrients in another thread and my thread on lactobacillus serum... all of that gets sprayed on the plants to increase their vigor.

Great post! Tried this myself with oyster shell, already in powder form. Put on stove on high for about half an hour. Couldn’t get it to turn black at all. Had to shut her down cause my woman was pissed with the smell, even with the microwave vent on high, kitchen window open, and floor fan on high. Lol.

Anyway, poured the apple cider vinegar in anyways. Will it be all Cal and little to no P? Or what am i going to get here?

Also i have some fish bone meal 3-16-0 & 14% Calcium. Could i just straight ferment that in acv? What would that get me cooked vs uncooked?

Great post! Tried this myself with oyster shell, already in powder form. Put on stove on high for about half an hour. Couldn't get it to turn black at all. Had to shut her down cause my woman was pissed with the smell, even with the microwave vent on high, kitchen window open, and floor fan on high. Lol.

Anyway, poured the apple cider vinegar in anyways. Will it be all Cal and little to no P? Or what am i going to get here?

Also i have some fish bone meal 3-16-0 & 14% Calcium. Could i just straight ferment that in acv? What would that get me cooked vs uncooked?

It would get you something new and untested, and most likely with very little phosphorus. I suggest getting very serious with the charring process, never mind the smell... or go back to the original recipe, and again never mind the smell. (it can be awful) The goal of this instructional was to replace calmag+ with a natural alternative... without phosphorus, the end result is not going to be where we wanted it.
Emmie

Would this be beneficial to add to my LOS as it Cooks?

sure... there are a lot of good things in there that will eventually break down in a living soil, but you are neglecting to consider the benefits of what happens in the fermentation process. If you let this process complete there will be a breakdown of the components that is much more complete than could be accomplished by months cooking in the soil, and some new products are produced as a result of that fermentation that will not occur in the soil.
Patience is called for dear Hustle Mode... good things happen to those who learn to wait.

Thanks for this super-informative post.

Right up my alley & I'm starting in on making some this week for the fall harvest.

DIY is not only usually better & cheaper, but it reduces the environmental toll...I don't like to buy a plastic bottle of anything.

Thanks again!

What heat setting prObably low heat ?
I need stuff like this because of where I live they don't sell calmag. So I have to rely on homemade products. This is especially helpful because I also us Reverse Osmosis water. I've made this once before but not like yours. I didn't clean them as good meaning I didn't remove the membranes and didn't I put in them a frying pan. I didn't know about those steps. Thank you![/QUOTE

Today is day 20 of our fermentation and our cal/phos mixture should be ready. Note the distinct layers that the calcium and the phosphorus have settled into:

DSCF5654.JPG

There seems to have been a little bit of fluid loss in this conversion process, but not much, and after filtering I ended up with this much in the bottle.
DSCF5655.JPG

Then, in order to make a good all around supplement, molasses was added to fill up the bottle.

DSCF5656.JPG

Here we have our complete, Cal-Phos-Mag-Plus supplement. I will start using this the watering before the flip, and will continue for weeks 1-2 of flower, and then again on weeks 5 and 6, along with the proper flowering or growth extract and fish emulsion. So far, results in both gardens, inside and out, show that the natural organic nutrients are working much better than anything I have ever bought commercially. It is more work producing your own, but along with the significant cost savings, the end products are better than what they can bottle and leave on the shelf to sell... our mixes are alive and active, theirs are cooked and dead by the time you get them. Try this. It is not hard, and I am betting that the results will leave you as stunned as I have been.

This is the end of the instructional part of this thread... from here on out will be any comments about the effectiveness or use of the product in my gardens. I will be using this product as I described for the next several rounds of gardens, and by that time I should have more info about how it works. Until then, I wish you luck in your own efforts to divorce yourself from the dependence on commercial companies to supply you your nutrients... everything you need is in your kitchen and your backyard or can be brewed up from common materials. All it takes is a little bit of science, faith in mother nature and a whole lot of love, and you can do this too!
The Greenest of all Blessings from my gardens to yours,
Sense Emilya
Any idea of potassium supplement i usually brew act once a week and feed but I know in flower it’s mostly calckum
And potassium needed so that is all I wasn’t to give them essentially

Been using this DIY recipe all during this years grow at the levels rec'd by Emilya & it's worked beautifully. I'm never using anything else, fantastic results!...and cheeeeeeeeeeeap.

Great post! Thank you!

I made a batch of this yesterday. I only had 4 eggs so went with a smaller amount. I never realized that molasses have a lot of magnesium, maybe that's a part of why they function well as a fertilizer? Also, if anyone could explain (like I'm five ;) ) what is the chemical reaction happening in this particular operation I would be very interested ( I smoked a joint yesterday before I started roasting the egg shells and I had some crazy theories pop up in my head about what was happening there, but yeah I was just stoned :cool:).

Back
Top Bottom