Emmie's DIY CalMagPhos+ From Eggshells

I roasted my shells outside in the fire pit outside. Crushed them up, added scented apple cider vinegar. I had homemade Rosemary vinegar and Mint vinegar for the fun of it. Will be ready in 10 more days. Thanks again, Emilya

This is an awesome product to use during the changeover period from growing to flowering/fruiting on all of your plants. For most of us, by using molasses we are able to get the magnesium that our plants need, but for our calcium needs, most of us have to fall back on a commercial product, and we end up buying one of the many versions of calmag supplement that are available. Because of a lock on the market by being the only source of an important nutrient, prices for this supplement, especially organic versions, are way overpriced.

I am going to show you how to make a superior calcium supplement that is cheap, easy to make and definitely cheaper than the commercial versions. By using organic materials, not only can calcium and magnesium be easily supplied, but also phosphorus, potassium and natural enzymes, making our homemade supplement just as "plus" as calmag+.

Any bones, sea shells, oysters, clam shells or egg shells can be used. Being severely landlocked in the midwest, I chose to use eggshells to create my calcium phosphate.

First collect about a dozen eggs and wash each egg out after use to get rid of the filaments and protein inside. I washed mine out and sat them on the windowsill for a couple of days to dry out, and then using my hands crumbled them up into a bowl.
DSCF56052.JPG

The next step is to pan fry the egg shells to the point that most of them are brown or even black, and there are just a few white ones left. Heat changes the shells, and the white ones will be your phosphorus source and the burned ones will be the calcium.

Here they are just starting to turn
DSCF56062.JPG

And here we have the eggshells burned just right.
DSCF5607.JPG

Next we put the cooked shells into a coffee grinder or in some other way grind them up into a powder.
DSCF56082.JPG

Next, add 5 parts vinegar to the pile of powdered eggshells. I used an organic organic apple cider vinegar in order to capture its natural goodness too. This step will fizz up quite dramatically, depending on how well you ground up the egg shells, and I suggest doing this in your kitchen sink. The vinegar is going to eat the egg shells, and it will fizz for a while.
DSCF5609.JPG

DSCF56101.JPG

After about half a day, the fizzing should mostly stop. Seal the jar up and let this ferment for 20 days. Filter into another jar, and you have homemade calcium phosphate. Use it by adding 1 tablespoon per gallon of water. Add 1 tablespoon of molasses to the gallon and you will have with the combination the equivalent of using calmag+ at the recommended dosages.

I spent $18 on my last quart of organic calmag. My homemade product costs pennies per gallon to produce. Guess what I will be using from now on?
Is it the liquid or the solid left over that is the CalMag? I'm thinking the solid...

Is it the liquid or the solid left over that is the CalMag? I'm thinking the solid...
Ideally there is not any solid left that will not easily shake up back into the solution. If you have solid, you didn't use enough vinegar. It is all calmag and phosphorus, with most of the mag coming in with the molasses.

Plz correct me if I got this wrong.
1 cup egg shells crushed
Cook em till black/tan/ some white left
Powderize eggs shells.
Use 5 to 1 ratio of shells with apple cider vinegar, sit for 20 days. Stran and now you have a concentrated solution that is mixed as 1 tablespoon per 1 gal of water yes? Can we add all the molasses in the concentrat only or it must be during dilution?

This is only for Magnesium and Potassium correct?

Any idea if we can also add in some boiled banana peels into the concentrate mix to give bigger PK boost to it?

Can we make this without molasses?
I use just regular calmag and would love to make an all natural one that does exactly the same thing.
you can make it without molasses and you will have calcium phosphate, which will be great at supplying calcium and phosphorus, but it will not have magnesium in it. Adding molasses does not make this product any less natural, but it does eliminate its effectiveness to fight a magnesium deficiency.
Plz correct me if I got this wrong.
1 cup egg shells crushed
Cook em till black/tan/ some white left
Powderize eggs shells.
Use 5 to 1 ratio of shells with apple cider vinegar, sit for 20 days. Stran and now you have a concentrated solution that is mixed as 1 tablespoon per 1 gal of water yes? Can we add all the molasses in the concentrat only or it must be during dilution?

This is only for Magnesium and Potassium correct?

Any idea if we can also add in some boiled banana peels into the concentrate mix to give bigger PK boost to it?
i would recommend going visually for more black and tan when you are cooking them... there will still be plenty of white that you can not see. I find that if I do this right I really don't have much to strain, so I do not... its all good stuff, right? I just shake it up and add it at 1tbl/gal. I add all the molasses immediately to the concentrate, but have also been known to give another tbls of molasses per gallon when I am watering just because I like using molasses... I use it in just about everything around here because it is the perfect food for microbes.
I am also a fan of banana extracts, and you will find that a fermentation frees up more potassium than boiling does. I see no harm in adding it to this mix, but be careful... both magnesium and calcium can be over applied and if this mixture is used more as a nute than a specific supplement for these two troublemakers, it is easy to get in trouble. I use the banana potassium more as a finishing nute than an overall supplement, and I would probably want to use more than would be used in this mixture anyway. I think it is probably best to keep these two supplements separate for those reasons, although like I said... its not going to hurt anything in the amounts that you use the calmagphos supplement.

I used this diluted at 5ml (1 tsp) per gallon of water as part of my regular feed routine - my plants seem to like it fine with no signs of deficiency nor toxicity. I also used this on my tomato garden this year and the tomatoes love it! Thanks Emilya :thanks:

I have used Emilya's calmagphos from oyster shell and my outdoor plants are 10' monsters. My 1 indoor ladies has super long pistils (thanks Amy Gardener or correct spelling). Also, using her Lab's recipe. I noticed a huge difference after starting the Lab's.
Thank you Emily's.:thanks::green_heart:

Any recommendations on level of heat being used on your stove or type of frying pan? Cast iron ect?

Ive collected 12 egg shells and cleaned them out. Letting them dry out for a few days now.

Also I got apple cider vinegar with the mother left inside. This would be good to use with your recipe yes?

Any recommendations on level of heat being used on your stove or type of frying pan? Cast iron ect?

Ive collected 12 egg shells and cleaned them out. Letting them dry out for a few days now.

Also I got apple cider vinegar with the mother left inside. This would be good to use with your recipe yes?
You will want a good amount of heat and a cast iron skillet would be perfect. Many people elect because of the smell to do this outside on a campfire or bbq grill.
The apple cider vinegar sounds perfect... use it with confidence.

You will want a good amount of heat and a cast iron skillet would be perfect. Many people elect because of the smell to do this outside on a campfire or bbq grill.
The apple cider vinegar sounds perfect... use it with confidence.

Ive got no choice but to this inside.
I will try med heat untill they burn up nice. Thank you

This is an awesome thread. I personally have a flock of chickens and all the egg shells go into the compost pile for our organic soil we use in our grows!

Not sure if you knew. But if you get burned in the kitchen, literally take a egg from the fridge and crack it open over the burn and rub it in for a min. It will almost instantly stop the pain and in fact will help prevent any kind of scarring because it soaks in through many layers of skin. Let it sit dry on your burn for about 1 hr and wash off. From experience of being a professional cook for close to 20yrs with many times Ive been burned with very little scars. Thanks to our eggs ;)

it seems to me that a dozen eggs makes about enough for one run, considering that the cal-mag-phos is given from late veg to mid flower only. I made one small batch to get started and then started saving up for a larger batch that I will store. My goal is to have enough natural organics made over the summer to last me all winter and spring.

A note on the eggshells...
are you peeling the inside membrane from the shells? It is a pain to do, but it really makes for a cleaner product in the end. No harm if you dont, but one thing I learned is that membrane is one of the best natural bandages known to humankind. Next time you get a cut or a scrape or burn that you need to deal with, peel out a membrane and put the sterile side down on the cut. You will be amazed. The nutrients and growth hormones in this bandage will cut the normal healing time by 66%.

Haven't attempt it yet lol

So ive got 14 eggs shells now, washed and dryed. Gonna smash them up into tiny peices and cook on stove over medium heat in a regular frying pan till I either gag from the stink or its almost completely black peices. So this is a 5 to 1 recipe correct? Lastly when I put it all in a Mason jar for fermentation, is the lid on tight? Or loose? Or I should use a cheesecloth style lid for 20 days?

So ive got 14 eggs shells now, washed and dryed. Gonna smash them up into tiny peices and cook on stove over medium heat in a regular frying pan till I either gag from the stink or its almost completely black peices. So this is a 5 to 1 recipe correct? Lastly when I put it all in a Mason jar for fermentation, is the lid on tight? Or loose? Or I should use a cheesecloth style lid for 20 days?
yes, 5:1 but don't stress over getting it exact. The first day or two there is a lot of pressure that builds up but the mason jar will be able to handle it just fine, but you might want to burp it a couple of times. I do keep it tight just to keep contaminants out. A cheesecloth lid would probably work too, but not necessary. Good luck!

yes, 5:1 but don't stress over getting it exact. The first day or two there is a lot of pressure that builds up but the mason jar will be able to handle it just fine, but you might want to burp it a couple of times. I do keep it tight just to keep contaminants out. A cheesecloth lid would probably work too, but not necessary. Good luck!

Nice. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom