Emmie's DIY CalMagPhos+ From Eggshells

I had discover this post today. :( I'm running my grow with bio tabs for first time..I'm using cobs and always have problems with cal mag,..
I use tap water which is pretty bad 500pppm,8.6ph..
I tout that using egg shels is just let them dry and grind them in coffe grinder ..0
Then I sprinkle it on the soil.. :(

I had discover this post today. :( I'm running my grow with bio tabs for first time..I'm using cobs and always have problems with cal mag,..
I use tap water which is pretty bad 500pppm,8.6ph..
I tout that using egg shels is just let them dry and grind them in coffe grinder ..0
Then I sprinkle it on the soil.. :(
Glad you found me @diskokobaja and welcome to the forum! :welcome:
The problem with just sprinkling ground up eggshells is that it takes forever for the eggshells to break down and release all that calcium and phosphorus and all you end up in one grow is whatever is water soluble. Fermenting on the other hand, allows all of that goodness to be immediately available.

This is great, I've read a couple of pages on this thread, so excuse me if I'm asking a question that's already answered in here, can this calmag be used in coco? I have 2 clones in coco now and doing this recipe will be ready in time for flip.
I'm certainly going to share this thread with my local growing buddies! Thank you for this easy recipe!

This is great, I've read a couple of pages on this thread, so excuse me if I'm asking a question that's already answered in here, can this calmag be used in coco? I have 2 clones in coco now and doing this recipe will be ready in time for flip.
I'm certainly going to share this thread with my local growing buddies! Thank you for this easy recipe!
yes, I have had users of this recipe in all grow methods, from full hydro to organic soil.

I'm not so good with the"parts" type measurement, what would 5 parts vinegar be in cups to a dozen ground eggshells?

Hi Canuckush and welcome to 420 :welcome: (still new enough to welcome you I think), I’ll jump in on this one. 5parts vinegar to 1 part eggshells means however much eggshells you have add 5x that amount of vinegar. So if you have 1 cup full of crushed eggshells, for example, you’d add 5 cups of vinegar, half cup of eggshells, 2.5 cups of vinegar etc..

Hope that’s right - or that someone will correct me if it isn’t :Namaste:

Hi Canuckush and welcome to 420 :welcome: (still new enough to welcome you I think), I’ll jump in on this one. 5parts vinegar to 1 part eggshells means however much eggshells you have add 5x that amount of vinegar. So if you have 1 cup full of crushed eggshells, for example, you’d add 5 cups of vinegar, half cup of eggshells, 2.5 cups of vinegar etc..

Hope that’s right - or that someone will correct me if it isn’t :Namaste:
Ok, thanks for the welcome, yes still fairly new, and much appreciated for the explanation, that makes total sense, I'll be doing up this eggshell recipe this weekend!
We eat eggs like crazy around here then literally the day I read this recipe no one has eaten any eggs! I finally have a dozen eggshells ready to go!

I finally had a chance to get on this today, I have to say that I don't like the odor of roasted eggshells or the organic apple cider vinegar!
Haha!
Although there is an abundance of various seashells here there is no way I'd tolerate that roasted odor!
Oh well, it's done so now to wait 20 days which is good, I hope my clones are ready to flip by that time, thank you for this easy calmag recipe!

20190702_101235.jpg
20190702_101549.jpg
20190702_104925.jpg
20190702_111346.jpg
20190702_113242.jpg
20190702_183817.jpg

It looks the same so now we wait!

You have done well! You might get banned from the kitchen like I have, but your plants will love it!
I did wait until I had that part of the house to myself so I was the only one who suffered! Lol!

Happy growing!

Are you sure you have enough vinegar in that mixture? That was a lot of egg shells. Doesn't quite look 5:1 to me.

Are you sure you have enough vinegar in that mixture? That was a lot of egg shells. Doesn't quite look 5:1 to me.
Yes, had 100ml of eggshells and 500 ml of vinegar.

Today's settled product.

20190703_111549.jpg

Give it a shake and seal it up.

Yes indeed. Now it looks better. :thumb:

Yes indeed. Now it looks better. :thumb:
Thanks, yes it fizzes up quite a bit and gets foamy stink when the vinegar is first added.

Are there any other ways short of ordering calmag online that I can add calmag to plants with about 6 weeks left in flowering?

Gypsum and epsom salt. @Skybound can give you more info on that since he builds his nutes from scratch.
Ok thank you @InTheShed online ordering is a gamble here, it may arrive on time or it may take a month or it simply gets lost in the system!

Happy growing!

You can get epsom salt at any drug store here. And in a pinch, crushed drywall is gypsum. Available at any construction site!
Oh, I happen to have both at home, Epsom for a sore muscles soak and I always have drywall boards around, it's part of my own business I own and operate.
Interesting, I'm curious on how to mix it now.

Thanks again, much appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom