Emmie's Feminised Seeds: Super Iced Grapefruit, 2016 Journal

Beautiful work. Congrats on the harvest.

Thanks! It is after 2am and we just got done trimming and hanging this girl in the drying bin. She did pretty well, and I was guessing that she would be the lightest one in the tent... now I am not so sure.

She weighed in at a healthy 387g, which should dry out to about 3.4 oz. Now I am going to see how slowly I can dry her... the humidity this week is going to help.

Any consensus on the darkness period augmenting trichomes production? Congrats on the harvest, are there any O.R table pictures... My mouth is watering thinking about it.

KiG :green_heart:cheers

Thanks for reminding me Snidrajsed, and yes, I believe that I see a marked improvement in the length, color and density of the trichomes compared to my analysis before going into the dark. Unfortunately, getting these same kinds of shots in the grow tent without a tripod can't be done, but I know what I saw in the loup... it wasn't this.

Sorry no O.R. pictures, the guys are conspiracy nuts and don't much like pictures anyway... and because of that they never seem to put the same emphasis on "good" pictures as I do. Ninety percent of what they take is blurry or tells me nothing... so I apologize for the help... you just can't get good help these days, I tell you. At least their rates are good, and for the most part, until they get tired, they do a good job trimming the harvests, and seem to enjoy the job.

Tonight I pulled a big bud out of the drying bin to take a close look at it. I am very pleased with what I saw. For now, she goes back to the slow dry... it still isn't ready for the paper sack stage... but maybe tomorrow, or the next day.

sig_bud.JPG
budshot5.JPG
Sig_tricomes_1.JPG
sig_tricomes_2.JPG

That's a good reinforcement of what I've come to observe after a preharvest darkness period. Thanks for the report, it will serve the members well to know the possibility of increasing trichs in the final stages of the grow. Great job I enjoyed this journal, thanks for sharing.

That's a good reinforcement of what I've come to observe after a preharvest darkness period. Thanks for the report, it will serve the members well to know the possibility of increasing trichs in the final stages of the grow. Great job I enjoyed this journal, thanks for sharing.

This is actually the 2nd run that I concentrated on the end like this, and I am convinced that it works very well to get them in the dark at the end, and that it is just as effective in its own way as water only for the last 2 weeks to let the plants know that the end is near. I will continue to do it every time... and as a matter of fact, I sort of ran out of room and was waiting a few days for my KO so that I could get her in the dark for a few days, without having to move what is drying in there right now. I think I have learned with her to be ultra patient, and wait for her to be ready to die... I strongly suspect that my KO will end up being the best pot I have ever grown, mostly because of the extra attention at the end.

Thanks for following my journal too; it is a joy to share my work when friends stop by and leave a few comments or are curious about the various things I am doing! I was told a long time ago that in the forum world, if there isn't a journal documenting it, it didn't happen. This one, definitely happened. :)

Hope all is well in your world.

Thanks for sharing this grow with us.

Please head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too.

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

You can use the Report Post feature found at the bottom left of every post and we'll move it for you right away.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

she also got four nutrient spikes, made by mixing dry nutrients, drilling a hole with a dowel down through the container, and then filling that hole up with the mix.
Hi Emilya, I really could use your help in putting together my scrambled thoughts. :passitleft:
Can you explain again your are you putting the spikes in pots but in different directions
What's the size of the spikes?
Following some of your ideas in a way I bought
Blood meal, Bone meal, Nitrogen bat guano, Wallace Organic Wonder, worm castings, Hydrolyzed Fish Fertilizer .
That all what my budget could afford, and I was hoping with these I covered a big part to make those girls happier :yummy:

Would you please please suggest me a recipe to my mix. My soil is fox farm ocean forest which is already a beautiful well nutrient soil lol
I believe Hydrolyzed Fish Fertilizer is used with the water as a treat from time to time, how much you suggest that I use?
I'm moving them to 3 gallons pots as soon as I get the fertilizers or maybe mix them with the soil and wait for 2 days or so to let it blend in.
The bottom of my plants leaves are turning yellow which I believe they are in need of nutrients. I have to mention tha I just corrected an inadequate method of watering. I'm following a much stricter one thanks to your post of how to water potted plants. :cheesygrinsmiley:
As always humbly appreciative of your guidance :nerd-with-glasses:

Attachments

• 20190520_192454.jpg
    20190520_192454.jpg
    692.9 KB · Views: 151
  • 20190520_192434.jpg
    20190520_192434.jpg
    656.4 KB · Views: 138
  • 20190520_192229.jpg
    20190520_192229.jpg
    679.7 KB · Views: 151
  • 20190520_192210.jpg
    20190520_192210.jpg
    606.2 KB · Views: 141
Hi Sarra, good questions! It is never good to mix all of those ingredients in with the soil because the raw nutrients can not be directly uptaken into the plant and that would add too much hotness... the plants would not like it. Spikes however can be handled by roots that happen to run across them. The plant then decides how to best handle that area and specializes roots to be in that area to attract the special microlife that breaks down those elements. You can burn a plant by forcing it into a strong mix, but if the roots "find" the strong stuff, it can be tolerated.
My spikes are about 1/2 inch in diameter and pretty much the vertical size of the container. Anything in the right dimensions will work to create the hole, and then just use a funnel to pour the spike elements in.
Regarding your yellowing leaves... it looks to be a combination of your former watering habits and the need for some N. The fish fertilizer is good stuff for this stage, I would add a tbs/gal to your watering. Also, if your intent is to go full organic at this point, get some microbes in there via an inoculation of one of those super packs. Voodoo Juice is good and so is FF Big Bloom, and my new favorite product is RealGrowers Recharge. Get those spikes in there to feed the microbes and then get some of that stuff in there, and this grow will take off! The rest of the stuff that you got is good for long term, and for spikes... but it takes several months to break down in the soil without microbial help.

yeah sweet az. You seem to grow a bit similar to me except more organic. One suggestion that I do is instead of writing down on each pot what strain it is. Just get some coloured sticky tape and have a legend with the colour corresponding to the strain on your legend. I just pick colours that fit the strain. Like Blue for my blueberry or silver for my skywalker, white for my white strain ect ect. So much easier, especially if you get coloured neoprene inserts for cloner and stuff.
IMG_20190526_193144.jpg

IMG_20190525_031817.jpgIMG_20190526_191800.jpg
Made my life so much easier just being able to lok down and see the colour and know what it is without reading.

looking forward to seeing your results.
:goodluck::Namaste::cheer:

Hi hydro! The Great White seems to make a huge difference every time I have remembered to use it. This time, everyone got it, so we should see some amazing results.

Nutrient spikes are apparently wonderful things. I have never tried it before, but it makes a lot of sense. I use those Jobe plant spikes in the outdoor garden on my tomatoes, and they seem to work really well. Thinking about using these in an organic soil seems to be a perfect idea since the soil is being used over and over again; it will help in keeping the soil alive for the next round since a lot of this stuff can't possibly break down in just one grow season.

I plan on putting new spikes in each new container I move to. I have labeled 2 new storage bins, Flower and Veg Spike Mix and will be sure to keep this mix on hand from now on. The next move for these plants will be to their final containers, and I will repeat the spike process over there, so essentially the final plant will have 8 spikes... 4 concentrating on veg, and the 4 or even 6 new ones providing nutrients for bloom.

for veg I used:
2 parts blood meal
1 part bone meal
1 part kelp meal
1 part high N bat guano
(Rev also suggests to use the following components that I did not have on hand: 1 part feather meal, 1/4 part oyster shell)

for bloom I will use:
1 part organic bulb food 3-8-8
2 parts high N bat guano
1 part bone meal
1 part kelp meal
1 part soft rock phosphate
1/4 part Azomite
and again, suggested by not available at this moment, and still working on getting it before flower:
2 parts feather meal
1/4 part oyster shell

Hope this helps! It is these little things, like understanding layering and spikes that really seem to be fine tuning my grows. I know what I want to see happen in my tents, and every week I get a little bit closer to actually making it happen. I might even get good at this one of these days! I hope you are enjoying this as much as I am!
Question whom may I ask is the rev?

Back
Top Bottom