Emmie's Organic 10 Week Durban Poison, 2020

Transition, Day 11
Still no flowers... there is just the slightest start at putting out pistils, but this is still transitioning. Imagine how far off I would be and how perplexed I would be at the end, if I had assumed the date of the flip to be the start of bloom! Already we would be 11 days early to harvest... possibly well over 2 weeks before we actually get going! Being able to judge the actual date of the start of bloom is a very valuable skill in the multi strain garden.

So you say there is just the slightest start at putting out pistils, does that mean this is day 1 or are you waiting still? How far does one go until it's day 1? Also the stretch... I`m assuming the stretch is well on it's way.

I`m just trying to determine where to call day 1. I`m at about 22 days of 12-12, my stretch ended at about 18 days I didnt mark down when I first noticed pistils but I`m well into bud now on 2 of the 3. One looks to be as sativa as it gets, I`m thinking it will take much longer plus it is getting less light (1 bulb setup).

So you say there is just the slightest start at putting out pistils, does that mean this is day 1 or are you waiting still? How far does one go until it's day 1? Also the stretch... I`m assuming the stretch is well on it's way.

I`m just trying to determine where to call day 1. I`m at about 22 days of 12-12, my stretch ended at about 18 days I didnt mark down when I first noticed pistils but I`m well into bud now on 2 of the 3. One looks to be as sativa as it gets, I`m thinking it will take much longer plus it is getting less light (1 bulb setup).
It is a perfect time to show you what I mean. I was just in the room taking these pictures, and in my judgement, she still isn't flowering, on day 12 of the transition.

Here is Kosher Daddy, who went into the flip on the same day... she started throwing out pistils on day 9, a day or two longer than most hybrids do it. Here is what she looks like today:
DSCF8575.JPG

Then here is Durban, today. There are no explosions of pistils, indeed it is still hard to even find one at the growth tips... just green leaf so far with about 3 of the leaves converting over to pistils, but not quite there yet. I will wake up one morning soon and this will have changed, and there will be a handful or more of new pistils where this green growth is right now.

DSCF8578.JPG

Tip growth pops white and turns green so quick. I've seen ghost pistols from two weeks on a few times, to many moons ago to fool me now. Those leaves are so symmetrical they hardly look real and the fibonacci twist..that's old genetics then?

Hello Em:
I read in one of your previous grows that you were using VLUX. How did that work out?
My computer crashed and I lost that link.
For my first grow next year I will be using Subcool's formula with Vlux and Stonington Blend Potting Soil.
Thank You, Keep up the good work.
Cape Cod 420

Hello Em:
I read in one of your previous grows that you were using VLUX. How did that work out?
My computer crashed and I lost that link.
For my first grow next year I will be using Subcool's formula with Vlux and Stonington Blend Potting Soil.
Thank You, Keep up the good work.
Cape Cod 420
I will be excited to learn if @Vulx is still around and is shipping product again. I have Vulx now mixed in with my supersoil and have a bit more than 2 quarts left to use in the future, but on this present run I have not used any... I am using Fox Farm Ocean Forest and Happy Frog in layers in my containers.

I do think that your plant to use Subcool's formula (be sure to cook it well for a few months) and the Stonington is a good one. If you are able to get Vulx, by all means use it as directed... the stuff really works!

Today we did some cross pollination. The resulting new variety will be named Durbin Daddy or Poison Daddy... we haven't decided yet.

The pollen was collected and half of it was placed into each of two baggies. This was documented about a week ago in the Kosher Daddy thread, and the pollen was stored for this evening in the refrigerator.

The pictures displayed here show the process being done to two plants, both a Durban Poison and a Kosher Daddy.

Today, the two plants were moved downstairs to the back mud room, an area not served by the house heating/air conditioning system so as to avoid any accidental pollen getting into the airflow and back upstairs to the bloom room. A healthy branch up top was picked out and labeled with a bright twisty tie so we can always keep track of that branch
DSCF8602.JPG
DSCF8599.JPG

Then the baggie was firmly attached the end of the branch by shoving the upper 3 or 4 bud sites into the baggie and securing it as best as we could at the open end with another twist-tie .
DSCF8600.JPG

Lastly, it was time to shake that branch all about in its little shake and bake baggie, distributing the pollen evenly on the buds, leaves and sides of the baggie. Carefully manipulating the pile of pollen within the baggie, it didn't take long to coat everything in the baggie and the sides of the baggie with pollen.
DSCF8601.JPG
DSCF8603.JPG

The timing on this was so that the plants went to the mud room around the same time that their nighttime would normally start, and now they are sitting comfortably in the dark, with nothing but the change in scenery to let them know anything is going on. In the morning we will check the buds and see if we can see signs of pollination and when we do, the baggies will be carefully removed outside on the back porch, and that area of the plant will get a good misting from the garden hose to make any residual pollen inert.

Today we did some cross pollination. The resulting new variety will be named Durbin Daddy or Poison Daddy... we haven't decided yet.

The pollen was collected and half of it was placed into each of two baggies. This was documented about a week ago in the Kosher Daddy thread, and the pollen was stored for this evening in the refrigerator.

The pictures displayed here show the process being done to two plants, both a Durban Poison and a Kosher Daddy.

Today, the two plants were moved downstairs to the back mud room, an area not served by the house heating/air conditioning system so as to avoid any accidental pollen getting into the airflow and back upstairs to the bloom room. A healthy branch up top was picked out and labeled with a bright twisty tie so we can always keep track of that branch
DSCF8602.JPG
DSCF8599.JPG

Then the baggie was firmly attached the end of the branch by shoving the upper 3 or 4 bud sites into the baggie and securing it as best as we could at the open end with another twist-tie .
DSCF8600.JPG

Lastly, it was time to shake that branch all about in its little shake and bake baggie, distributing the pollen evenly on the buds, leaves and sides of the baggie. Carefully manipulating the pile of pollen within the baggie, it didn't take long to coat everything in the baggie and the sides of the baggie with pollen.
DSCF8601.JPG
DSCF8603.JPG

The timing on this was so that the plants went to the mud room around the same time that their nighttime would normally start, and now they are sitting comfortably in the dark, with nothing but the change in scenery to let them know anything is going on. In the morning we will check the buds and see if we can see signs of pollination and when we do, the baggies will be carefully removed outside on the back porch, and that area of the plant will get a good misting from the garden hose to make any residual pollen inert.

Very exciting Em ,) Derban's Poisoned Daddy hehe...

Just a quick morning update on our work during the dark of the morning ...

The baggies were removed from the plants while still downstairs and they were carefully sprayed down. The humidity in the baggie had pretty much solidified everything in place, so it appeared that no pollen got away. After spraying we carried them back upstairs and put them in the dark bloomroom. Just in the hallway light we could see clear signs of pollination ... there were multiple red pistils and crinkled up ... something has definitely happened to them.

Pictures this evening when I get home from work. This morning I am running late and need to go. Have a great day everyone! :peace: :love:

Bloom, Day 7
I promised pictures of the pollinated buds. I am also going to post pictures of the pollinated Kosher Daddy buds on that journal, because those buds were about a week ahead of these, and they clearly are pollinated. These, you have to look a bit harder, but the signs are there, on all 3 budsets that were in the baggie. I am curious who ends up producing the most seeds... the one a week in or this one, just 5 days into bloom when hit with the pollen.
Time will tell.

DSCF8606.JPG
DSCF8604.JPG

Why did you pollenate just 5 days Into flower?
Time or because ya can lol

I always thought I had to wait for the first 2 or so weels into flower to allow the pistols to be fully ready to develop seeds...

I always thought I had to wait for the first 2 or so weels into flower to allow the pistols to be fully ready to develop seeds...
I wanted to see what happens... and compare against one a week further in.

I wanted to see what happens... and compare against one a week further in.

Very nice. Maybe you will discover that doing this right off the bat is just a feasible ;)

It has always bothered me that by following that advice the seeds are always the last thing to finish up and oftentimes you have to chop the buds and send them to the drying room while the pollinated branch remains behind to finish up. I am hoping that doing it this early allows for the seeds to be done when the rest of the plant is done, I am just hoping that I generate a good amount of seeds too. If the amount of seeds produced is proportional to how many pistils the plant had going at the time of the deed, then I will understand why the advice to wait for the 2nd week is there. Trust nothing... verify what you can... that is my motto.

It has always bothered me that by following that advice the seeds are always the last thing to finish up and oftentimes you have to chop the buds and send them to the drying room while the pollinated branch remains behind to finish up. I am hoping that doing it this early allows for the seeds to be done when the rest of the plant is done, I am just hoping that I generate a good amount of seeds too. If the amount of seeds produced is proportional to how many pistils the plant had going at the time of the deed, then I will understand why the advice to wait for the 2nd week is there. Trust nothing... verify what you can... that is my motto.

Completely agree with ya here. I too find it annoying when making seeds that everything is done and drying, but I've got weeks left to grow seeds lol slows down ability to start a new batch. I'm hopefully you get a comparable amount of seeds ;) I suppose at the worst, in the future I could always take a few clones during veg, then pollinate them soon as flower starts. This way you can "compensate" for lack of pistols and just pollenate more branches essentially.

Agreed about the seed-run approach. I've started just using two "extra" clones, while still quite small, one to reverse and one to pollinate. It's easier to isolate a couple of little plants in smaller containers, and largely sidelines the risk of placing pollen adjacent to flowers one does not wish to seed (with my native clumsiness I would end up just dropping the baggie of pollen leaving me and all the gals looking like Tom Cruise in that drug running movie after he crashes the plane full of cocaine and pedals away in manic bewilderment billowing clouds of the powdery stuff). These aren't huge seed runs, basically just backups of cuts I like.

Also, if I may be granted dispensation to harken back to the Geoflora stage of this thread's conversation, I am also using GF, but in recycled coco, and so far so good - in fact they are loving the stuff. The only additional thing I add is teas, mainly for microbial content, but often with some DIY cal-mag at somewhat capricious dosages. To be fair, I have also used FF dry organic amendments to great effect recently, also in recycled coco - this was my highest yield to date, in fact. Fully agree with Em, this is without a doubt the simplest way of growing, and I don't find any sacrifice of quantity or quality (quite the opposite, in fact) as trade-off for streamlining the process in this way. Scrooge McDuck's aphorism comes to mine: "Work smarter, not harder."

Vesti

Agreed about the seed-run approach. I've started just using two "extra" clones, while still quite small, one to reverse and one to pollinate. It's easier to isolate a couple of little plants in smaller containers, and largely sidelines the risk of placing pollen adjacent to flowers one does not wish to seed (with my native clumsiness I would end up just dropping the baggie of pollen leaving me and all the gals looking like Tom Cruise in that drug running movie after he crashes the plane full of cocaine and pedals away in manic bewilderment billowing clouds of the powdery stuff). These aren't huge seed runs, basically just backups of cuts I like.

Also, if I may be granted dispensation to harken back to the Geoflora stage of this thread's conversation, I am also using GF, but in recycled coco, and so far so good - in fact they are loving the stuff. The only additional thing I add is teas, mainly for microbial content, but often with some DIY cal-mag at somewhat capricious dosages. To be fair, I have also used FF dry organic amendments to great effect recently, also in recycled coco - this was my highest yield to date, in fact. Fully agree with Em, this is without a doubt the simplest way of growing, and I don't find any sacrifice of quantity or quality (quite the opposite, in fact) as trade-off for streamlining the process in this way. Scrooge McDuck's aphorism comes to mine: "Work smarter, not harder."

Vesti
I totally agree about the @GeoFlora Nutrients, it is the easiest and most complete nutrient system I have ever used, and it is totally organic. By this, I don't mean that it is just natural and not artificial, this stuff makes the organic feeding cycle happen, even in a soil, or coco, that normally would not be able to support a plant by itself without additional nutrients. This puts this system, working smarter, not harder, into the no brainer category... I can see no downside to running this product ,only benefits.

I totally agree about the @GeoFlora Nutrients, it is the easiest and most complete nutrient system I have ever used, and it is totally organic. By this, I don't mean that it is just natural and not artificial, this stuff makes the organic feeding cycle happen, even in a soil, or coco, that normally would not be able to support a plant by itself without additional nutrients. This puts this system, working smarter, not harder, into the no brainer category... I can see no downside to running this product ,only benefits.

Works with HP Mycorrhizae Promix ?
Took a look at the site, looks promising.
Interested mostly because your seem excited about it.

Back
Top Bottom