Emmie's Organic 10 Week Durban Poison, 2020

Bloom, Day 69
We are almost done... maybe a week left for these last two and then round 1 will be completed.

DSCF8905.JPG
DSCF8904.JPG

Final Harvest of this round, Day 73
Happy Boxing Day everyone!

As if Christmas wasn't going to be busy enough around here, it also was time to harvest our two last long runners of this round, our beautiful Durban Poisons, and right exactly in their predicted harvest window.

The trichomes confirmed what we were seeing in the buds, now all chunked out with dramatic red highlighted pistils... these babies were done!

2020-10-30-151944.jpg
2020-11-12-190032.jpg

I had a couple of old pros to help me so the harvest, trim and bud washing didn't take too awfully long, and it gave us something to work on while we watched the Christmas football game. The plants yielded what appears to be approximately 7 ounces of very sticky and beautiful dankness.

20201225_125509.jpg
20201225_125400.jpg

There has been some discussion lately about bud washing and whether it is worth it. Here are before and after buckets of the first cleaning water with lemon juice and baking soda. It is remarkable how much better your buds taste without all of this dirt and debris ending up in your pipe. After washing the buds look brighter, greener, redder... they look clean and delicious.

20201225_124825.jpg
20201225_130749.jpg

Here is the result after hanging to drip dry for a while with a fan indirectly moving the moisture off of the buds. We hang the plants on a clothes rack in our guest bathroom immediately after washing so that they don't carry any of the rinse water with them to the drying tent. This morning I will move these branches upstairs to our 2x2.5 Gorilla drying/love tent for 3 or 4 days for a slow dry.

20201225_131607.jpg

Final Harvest of this round, Day 73
Happy Boxing Day everyone!

As if Christmas wasn't going to be busy enough around here, it also was time to harvest our two last long runners of this round, our beautiful Durban Poisons, and right exactly in their predicted harvest window.

The trichomes confirmed what we were seeing in the buds, now all chunked out with dramatic red highlighted pistils... these babies were done!

2020-10-30-151944.jpg
2020-11-12-190032.jpg

I had a couple of old pros to help me so the harvest, trim and bud washing didn't take too awfully long, and it gave us something to work on while we watched the Christmas football game. The plants yielded what appears to be approximately 7 ounces of very sticky and beautiful dankness.

20201225_125509.jpg
20201225_125400.jpg

There has been some discussion lately about bud washing and whether it is worth it. Here are before and after buckets of the first cleaning water with lemon juice and baking soda. It is remarkable how much better your buds taste without all of this dirt and debris ending up in your pipe. After washing the buds look brighter, greener, redder... they look clean and delicious.

20201225_124825.jpg
20201225_130749.jpg

Here is the result after hanging to drip dry for a while with a fan indirectly moving the moisture off of the buds. We hang the plants on a clothes rack in our guest bathroom immediately after washing so that they don't carry any of the rinse water with them to the drying tent. This morning I will move these branches upstairs to our 2x2.5 Gorilla drying/love tent for 3 or 4 days for a slow dry.

20201225_131607.jpg
Washing also seems to improve aroma. It doesn't become stronger exactly, but the plant's essence just seems more eminent and penetrating. In audiophile terms it's almost like really dialing in to a tv/radio frequency by fine tuning the signal to noise ratio.

Here is an update on our two current batches of Durbans... first, the new Poison Daddy seeds are doing well. All 5 planted are up and looking healthy! They got their first feeding and are responding as expected, with vigor and expediency.

DSCF8925.JPG

Then we have the winners from our last round, the clones that we got from any of the 4 Durban plants we originally ran. These are in the final stages of their training and can not be expected to get much larger than this and still be sent into bloom in 3 gallon containers. As soon as the first half of the plants under the MEGA finish up, these will move into their place. In the meantime, we will be taking carefully documented clones from each of these 4 plants, so that hopefully we can isolate the two distinct phenotypes that we saw in the first round.

Here is before today's training:

DSCF8928.JPG

And here is after:

DSCF8933.JPG
DSCF8932.JPG
DSCF8931.JPG
DSCF8930.JPG

Curious as to why 3gal....are these the final pot?
Because I am running large numbers of plants in a shortened veg cycle, and because of the large production I have no need to spend the extra time vegging into a 5g or larger because by legally running up to 18 plants at a time, I am producing plenty of pot. Also, I have only a 5x5 footprint under my NextLight MEGA, and 18 plants in 5g containers and drip trays does not fit and even 12 plants in 3g are a bit crowded. Right now I have 9 plants in 3g properly situated under the MEGA's footprint, and 3 others under the MARS SP-3000 on the other end of the room and it seems about the perfect sized run for this room and these lights.

DSCF8921.JPG

Those DP seedlings look amazing - incredibly consistent, says a lot about the P's and seed stock overall. Do you intend to work these into an original line (sorry if you've addressed this previously)?

Those DP seedlings look amazing - incredibly consistent, says a lot about the P's and seed stock overall. Do you intend to work these into an original line (sorry if you've addressed this previously)?
For now I am happy to see what phenos pop out of this one as everything in there is quality and worth seeing, but yes, eventually I would like to find some original Durban and cross the poisons back to this original landrace, to solidify those genetics into this offspring and stabilize the f2's.

I am also highly interested in the 56 day pheno that popped out of these original seeds, and I want to see that one again because any plant that can end with that kind of quality in under 60 days is a definite keeper.

Today's update finds the new Durbans almost doubling in size each day. The older clones are responding well to the training and will be ready to go when the bloom room frees up 4 spots for them. If all goes well I will be taking new clones off of these, to be ready to run with the WC, DSD and PD now on the veg table.

DSCF8944.JPG
DSCF8948.JPG

Thanks for the kind words @Vesti Bule and I hope that your gardens are going well too. I have a report on several things here... first, an early smoke report.

Here are the buds as we keep working to get them into the cure range long term. A couple of the smaller buds looked tasty enough to try last night, and wow! ... this is some strong stuff! I can't imagine how strong it is going to get as it gets cured! What I noticed already was the type of high it is... a very cerebral and creative high. I caught myself experimenting with my toothbrush this morning, based on a revelation I had during the process, and I ended up hurting myself with my toothbrush, being too high to do whatever it was I was attempting. One bowl had wiped me out early this morning, and I was a bit worried about driving to work.
All worked out just fine, and here are what the buds look like tonight:
20201209_175956.jpg
20201209_180001.jpg
20201209_180011.jpg

Then in 2-3 weeks, the other three Durbans will finish out... there is a runt with seeds from the Kosher Daddy, one in the middle, and then this glorious beauty here that is probably going to produce 5 ounces:

DSCF8865.JPG
DSCF8864.JPG
DSCF8863.JPG
How long have you had these beauties in flower? Amazing swell on these buds especially for a Durban Poison! Love the colors too.

The numbers are in on the pollination experiment!

The Durban that was pollinated on Day 5 of Bloom yielded 74 seeds.
The Kosher Daddy that was pollinated a week later, on day 12 of Bloom gave us 175 seeds... a 58% increase.
Each set of seeds were well developed and mature at the end.

Conclusions: If I needed to produce the largest possible amount of seeds, such as if I were selling seeds, waiting longer clearly produces more seeds. I would wait till right at the end of stretch to pollinate. For home garden use, 74 seeds is totally acceptable, and because of that, I see no downside in pollinating in the first week of bloom.
I am so going to do this in the next few months. Exciting! I hate buying seeds - I am a seed killer!

That seems to be exactly what is going on... we were just noticing yesterday that her new growth appears to be giving us thinner, more sativa looking leaves. They will get a watering today and I will take a few pictures with this in mind, seeing if we can spot a changeover as she matures getting ready for bloom.
I aggressively prune my DP's and they do indeed start out with big thick fan leaves. Once trimmed I see a lot more (or even all) new growth is thinner smaller more Sativa looking leaves. The tell is when they begin to swell - these buds get huge, thick and sticky-icky! Looking beautiful @Emilya!

:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom