Emmie's Organic 10 Week Durban Poison, 2020

Here is the remaining PD, probably delayed a bit by the late backbuilding cuts... should have been done at week 4 on this fast runner!
DSCF9233.JPG
DSCF9232.JPG
DSCF9231.JPG
DSCF9230.JPG

Does PD smell like shoes or wet socks yet? Or maybe similar to Kosher Daddy or Durban leaning ?
I think she is leaning toward the Grandaddy Purple for her flavorings. As she is hanging upside down drying, I am suddenly noticing the distinct purple underleaves and even now still being barraged by the overpowering green smell of newly cut weed, I am noticing a faint hint of grape nehi in there again... like our early kosher daddy smelled. I am getting excited... I am still smoking some of that early KD in my private stock and it will be very interesting to compare.

early KD in my private stock and it will be very interesting to compare.
Ohhh nice. Has the KD aged well for you? I smoked mine lonnnggg before it could age haha.

So happy for PD looks great.
Grape is such super flavor ,)

Ohhh nice. Has the KD aged well for you? I smoked mine lonnnggg before it could age haha.

So happy for PD looks great.
Grape is such super flavor ,)
I still have a pint jar filled with each of the versions that we harvested, and both are quite sweet in their own ways after several months of curing. The early pheno definitely turned purple and has a distinct grape flavor to it, while the bulk of the crop was a less tasty version that had a lot more sativa properties to it.

I will also note that after hanging upside down for about two days, a quick trim of the now wilting fan leaves was all the cleanup this baby needed... the tiny sunleaves will fold over the the buds very sweetly adding to its bag appeal. The calyx to leaf ratio was quite high on this variety. The buds are extremely sticky and trichome packed and I suspect that no matter what she tastes like, she is going to hit like a freight train!

I am still holding out on the 2nd Poison Daddy and she still looks to be a week or more out. I will probably put her in the dark for 36 hours at the end too, just to see it once again. This one with the support she needed, is doing better than the first one, presumably because she is closer to the lights. Again, the bud to leaf ratio on this strain is insane so cleaning this one up at harvest is going to be as easy as lollipopping the fan leaves off of her right before chopping... it is one of the easiest strains I have seen for a while to trim up for drying and curing. I can easily see this one becoming one of my all time favorites for many reasons. The cure will tell.

DSCF9238.JPG
DSCF9237.JPG
DSCF9236.JPG
DSCF9235.JPG

Our first Poison Daddy has dried down now to the snap when bent, but not breaking stage, so this morning the buds were cut away and sent to the paper bag stage for a couple of days before we jar her. I have to say, this one has a very distinct skunk weed smell to it as it is drying... not exactly pleasant. I haven't smoked any of her yet, and I am saving that for tonight when my crew shows up. We will be the first humans to taste this new variety, even now while still uncured. I am hoping that the smell gets better as she cures and maybe it is just me... the crew will be a better test with 2 guys and 3 girls doing the evaluation together.

No matter how she tastes, she has a lot of trichomes and is no doubt going to be pretty powerful. More soon. I am hoping to be pleasantly surprised. I will get a couple of closeup pictures of the buds as they are now sitting too.

Bloom, 7 weeks, 6 days
The second Poison Daddy is ready. Today I spotted amber at the very tip top. She has been scooted out of the bloom room and into the office area to sit in the dark for 36 hours. She will be chopped on Thursday morning.

DSCF9277.JPG
DSCF9276.JPG
DSCF9275.JPG
DSCF9273.JPG
DSCF9272.JPG
2nd Last photo of PD is sweet lookin.

Thanks! That one turned out very nice... and I will probably submit it for a contest. Sometimes, the camera cooperates and sometimes it doesnt.
How did the ol sock tasting session with your panel of judges go?

It's still too early to get a good taste profile out of it, but several of us are sure that we can taste a very light grape flavor in there. It is a smooth thick smoke already and the heavily buds burn forever once they get dry enough to burn in the pipe. It is the high that impresses, however. This has to be more like the original Landrace Durban Poison than even our hybrid Durban that we started this project with. The high has almost no body to it, it is all in your head... specifically, right behind your forehead. This high grabs you by the front of your brain and does not let go, for hours, even now, barely dried to the point where a cure could even be starting. It is already an intense cerebral high, and from the first good hit my mind went into overdrive and I felt an urge to make a list of all the good things that were flowing into my head, courtesy of the energy this weed added. I smoked some again as a wake up this morning before coming in to work, and I still feel it wrapped around my head, 4 hours later.

I can't wait to see what this cures out to be. Already I can see that it is going to be some very special product and that I am going to need to grow some more of it... a lot more of it.

It's still too early to get a good taste profile out of it, but several of us are sure that we can taste a very light grape flavor in there. It is a smooth thick smoke already and the heavily buds burn forever once they get dry enough to burn in the pipe. It is the high that impresses, however. This has to be more like the original Landrace Durban Poison than even our hybrid Durban that we started this project with. The high has almost no body to it, it is all in your head... specifically, right behind your forehead. This high grabs you by the front of your brain and does not let go, for hours, even now, barely dried to the point where a cure could even be starting. It is already an intense cerebral high, and from the first good hit my mind went into overdrive and I felt an urge to make a list of all the good things that were flowing into my head, courtesy of the energy this weed added. I smoked some again as a wake up this morning before coming in to work, and I still feel it wrapped around my head, 4 hours later.

I can't wait to see what this cures out to be. Already I can see that it is going to be some very special product and that I am going to need to grow some more of it... a lot more of it.
Wow. That sounds great.

In particularly I like the thick smooth smoke "I like the full mouth thickness feeling" when smoking cannabis.

Hopefully the grape flavor pops a little later on.

Sounds like a hard cerebral smack lol
I dig how it gives off creativity thinking and energy while lasting a good while.

Sounds like a great smoke for a day of working around the yard & getting some stuff done that would otherwise me mundane like cutting the grass.

Oh my lord that was a ride. Great journal <3 I bookmarked a ton of stuff and need to digest all of it now. I googled backbuilding but I don't know those people. Why and how are you doing it?
Thank you for the nice comments! Backbuilding changes the buds from the traditional conical shape into a shorter wider and squatter bud, and I believe it adds significant mass to the final buds. They how is to take a little bitty snip off of the very top of the bud at the beginning of the 5th week, simulating a deer coming along and nibbling off that very top. This causes the buds to stop growing upward and instead they start to expand out sideways.

Bloom, Day 56 (8 weeks)
Today after 48 hours in the dark, the last Poison Daddy was chopped. The trichomes looked good, and more developed than they were when we took her out of the bloom room. She is now hanging from the bannister for a day or two, before we start cleaning her up.
DSCF9297.JPG

The Hippy Hash plant is still not done, but I think I see signs that she is about to enter the last stage, the final bud swell. I think we are 2-3 weeks away from the end on this one.

As we finally get to see some plants end out without having additional problems of our own doing... so it is easier to see how the plants did with @GeoFlora Nutrients and @DYNOMYCO so as to establish a sort of base line in this bloom room and all of these lights.

Not surprisingly, I am seeing some common deficiencies, only at the very end when nutritional needs skyrocket in order to complete the buds under these bright LEDs, and at the end of the 2 week time period between feedings. I am seeing a bit of a magnesium deficiency
DSCF9300.JPG

a calcium deficiency
DSCF9298.JPG

and a bit of a potassium deficiency.

DSCF9299.JPG

On the last watering, I supplemented with calmag and terpinator all around the room, and it was Geoflora feeding time. All the noted problems stopped progressing and the leaves started to green right back up again, where they could. All is well and Geoflora is doing a great job... these massive buds simply want more.

Back
Top Bottom