Emmie's Organic 10 Week Durban Poison, 2020

Really nice work, as always, Em! :bravo:

I'm surprised the plants had that adverse a reaction to the GeoFlora over-feeding! :thedoubletake:
Those 4 big durbans are still going, but they have some other problems that are causing way more difficulties than the single overfeeding did. They just got fed last night too, and I think they will take it just fine this time, but because of the fugus problems, the root aphids that never did go away and just poor planning on my part to support the large things, that grow is almost a total bust. I still have buds, but no big ones. Those 4 plants together might net a half pound when this is all done, and it will all go to edibles from the looks of things. This is what happens when I take my eye off of the ball and let plants go too long without my constant supervision. Live and learn... and put a little more effort into this growing thing, and this shouldn't happen again.

The Poison Daddys have been hanging upside down on my attic banister for several days and with our high Missouri humidity lately, they have barely dried any. Slow dry is one thing, but mold is quite another, so today I cut branch pairs out of her to trim up a bit and separate her for a bit more of a controlled drying. I convinced Ms. J. that it was for the greater good and we cranked on the air conditioning this afternoon, just to get the humidity out of the inside air. Something had to be done because at the present, burping a jar sitting at 80% RH does no good... ambient air is just about as bad.

So before writing this I had to go soak my hands in vegetable oil and Dawn to get rid of the stickiness after trimming these buds. The bud to leaf ration is insane with this variety and no scissors were needed. Hand picking the larger fan leaves was all that was needed, leaving just a little bit of sun leaf to curl up around the buds. The buds are insanely heavy with resin and are going to dry heavy. I am expecting it to be some great smoke, and maybe with the extra week of growth, a little more tasty than her sister harvested last week.

She is hanging downstairs now, in our kitchen for a few days, while she dries down to the point we can harvest the buds off of the dried up branches. The house smells wonderfully of high quality medical marijuana, and I love it that it is now legal... I really don't care about the smell inside of my own house.

The Poison Daddys have been hanging upside down on my attic banister for several days and with our high Missouri humidity lately, they have barely dried any. Slow dry is one thing, but mold is quite another, so today I cut branch pairs out of her to trim up a bit and separate her for a bit more of a controlled drying. I convinced Ms. J. that it was for the greater good and we cranked on the air conditioning this afternoon, just to get the humidity out of the inside air. Something had to be done because at the present, burping a jar sitting at 80% RH does no good... ambient air is just about as bad.

So before writing this I had to go soak my hands in vegetable oil and Dawn to get rid of the stickiness after trimming these buds. The bud to leaf ration is insane with this variety and no scissors were needed. Hand picking the larger fan leaves was all that was needed, leaving just a little bit of sun leaf to curl up around the buds. The buds are insanely heavy with resin and are going to dry heavy. I am expecting it to be some great smoke, and maybe with the extra week of growth, a little more tasty than her sister harvested last week.

She is hanging downstairs now, in our kitchen for a few days, while she dries down to the point we can harvest the buds off of the dried up branches. The house smells wonderfully of high quality medical marijuana, and I love it that it is now legal... I really don't care about the smell inside of my own house.
Love this description. Easy to remove leaves, tons of fat, sticky, stinky, heavy buds.

Not surprisingly, I am seeing some common deficiencies, only at the very end when nutritional needs skyrocket in order to complete the buds under these bright LEDs, and at the end of the 2 week time period between feedings. I am seeing a bit of a magnesium deficiency
DSCF9300.JPG

a calcium deficiency
DSCF9298.JPG

and a bit of a potassium deficiency.

DSCF9299.JPG
I want to revisit this previous post in light of recent findings. I have discovered root aphids in the bloom room, in the soil of the big Durbans in the back of the room. It is highly likely that the bugs have migrated over to these plants too.

When aphids attack the roots, the inability to get to some of the nutrients can imitate all of these deficiencies seen in the room at this time.
Yes, supplementing can help mitigate the deficiencies, but the "root cause" of the problem might very well be the aphids, and nothing at all wrong with the nutrients being given.

I am at this point not willing to say that without the aphids we would have had any of these symptoms show up and I have no reason to believe at this point that @GeoFlora Nutrients is having any trouble getting the needed nutrients to the plant. I think once again, any problems I am seeing here fall directly onto the gardener herself, for not going after these nasty bugs from the very start.

I will aggressively fight this problem for the next several months and hopefully we will see an end to these problems. Again, my apologies to @GeoFlora Nutrients for my premature assertion that there is a need to supplement some of the macronutrients, before I had all of the facts in front of me.

Durban-Poison-Feminized-Marijuana-Strains.png
I have been waiting for a long time to grow this one out. I have been waiting for good enough lights to do it justice, and thanks to 420 Magazine, I have one very good bloom room light, and am hoping to be lucky enough to have more lights soon. I think my skills are finally up to this task, and most importantly, I now have the space to dedicate to this project.

Durban Poison is a landrace strain, and it should be worth any extra effort she may require. The seeds are feminized and I planted 4 of them with 2 of the early risers up so far. She will be grown organically using @GeoFlora Nutrients in a layered mix of supersoil, Fox Farm Ocean Forest and Fox Farm Happy Frog.

Being a sativa dominant, she is going to try to be tall, and stretch will without a doubt, be a pain. I plan on moving her right to bloom as soon as I can get some clones off of them, and then we will mass produce a run of them in the next Bloom room that have grown out a bit more... that should be exciting, and it may be the last time I try that in a 6'6" room.

Here are the stats:

1598215162933.png

The seeds are a westernized and feminized version of the original 14 week strain but its genetics are all Durban. I am drooling just thinking about smoking some of this in a few months.

More from CropKing:
More About Durban Poison Feminized
Descended from Original Durban, which is named after its origins in Durban, South Africa, Durban Poison comes with the same highly psychedelic effects that its parent is known for. That is not surprising at all, given the high THC content of this cannabis strain, which can go up to more than 20%.

It can be grown outdoors and indoors, and its buds are always fat and heavy and coated in thick layers of sparkling trichomes. You do not even have to smoke Durban Poison to get excited. The sight of its large glands generously overflowing with resin is enough to make you drool. If grown outdoors, Durban Poison can yield up to 350g. Indoors, that number shoots up to 550g.

Aside from psychedelic effects, a euphoric high can be expected as a result of smoking this strain. Your energy and creativity are given a boost. This is an ideal smoke for days when you have to be productive or need to think up concepts for important projects at work or at home. There is no burnout effect after.

Durban Poison is perfect if you are into the euphoric effects or feelings induced by strains that are dominantly sativa, as Durban Poison is 60% sativa. Nothing is better than sitting in the shade and feeling your mood slowly being lifted up by a Durban Poison joint.
what a delight. thannks for all the info

Hippy Hash --- Bloom, Day 67
This one is just about done. It has loved sitting under the @Mars Hydro SP-3000 during bloom and these buds are nice and wide and firm. She has turned out to be a bit of a long runner here coming up on 10 weeks in bloom, but she looks like she is going to be worth the wait. The plan is to check her tomorrow before all the other activity going on in the grow rooms, and move her to the office area to sit in darkness for 36 hours if she looks done. We checked the trichomes 3 days ago and were not impressed with the amount of amber or cloudy vs clear and I will continue to be critical. I am not going to pull this one until she is truly ready.

DSCF9362.JPG
DSCF9360.JPG

Well that's disappointing
Hows the high though ? I mean if it's making us happy, does the lack of smell actually matter besides that we like it.
The plant looks awesome @Emilya!

Sorry about the taste that's a bit disappointing but looks-wise she seems brilliant!

Happy to be a part of this journey with you!
:peace:
The high is excellent and long lasting but the flavor is unremarkable. I wanted to wait for it to cure a bit more before answering, but it is settling in as bland at best. It is a fast running plant, bag appeal is up there, but next time I grow this I will be trying to enhance the terpenes as much as possible using Purpinator or some such supplement. This grow has left me craving taste... come on wedding cake and girl scout cookies!

Hope all is well in your world.

Thanks for sharing this grow with us.

Please head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too.

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please feel free to start a new journal here: Journals in Progress

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Hey @Emilya Green

It's been a hot minute...

Wanted to let you know that Posion Daddy is now officially F2...

Sent some to a friend of mine & he grew them out & made more beans to share with like minded Gardners...

Here are some photos of that grow.

@Emilya Green Have you been working on this strain yourself in anyway ?

Miss chatting with ya, I'm always available via DM or Email...

Cheers CADBOY.

0b0f93d06bb86d7e1ee5a2da4887bc00ff44406a_2_225x500.jpeg.jpg

2f6b83a63fa8ee0da5355c7c6740af02b2106fe2_2_375x500.jpeg.jpg

95fd3ecd3c404929ec0314033fc9ed963bf5512b_2_375x500.jpeg.jpg

0cb38e3945748cb3023de965bff0ee6451edcdc1_2_225x500.jpeg.jpg

b18e8f195b35c7a76b1825656e265b19d085db3d_2_375x500.jpeg-1.jpg

f8f474c8bd2b75e4eea21d3a3d7dc4b3b5cc3eb8_2_225x500.jpeg.jpg

9fe0f29ac7e95521652314cf5e8e29185bdc7cbe_2_690x310.jpeg.jpg

cd85a9ba6ade145e2f9e4847ec3675040d5f23d5_2_500x500.jpeg.jpg

Hey @Emilya Green

It's been a hot minute...

Wanted to let you know that Posion Daddy is now officially F2...

Sent some to a friend of mine & he grew them out & made more beans to share with like minded Gardners...

Here are some photos of that grow.

@Emilya Green Have you been working on this strain yourself in anyway ?

Miss chatting with ya, I'm always available via DM or Email...

Cheers CADBOY.

0b0f93d06bb86d7e1ee5a2da4887bc00ff44406a_2_225x500.jpeg.jpg

2f6b83a63fa8ee0da5355c7c6740af02b2106fe2_2_375x500.jpeg.jpg

95fd3ecd3c404929ec0314033fc9ed963bf5512b_2_375x500.jpeg.jpg

0cb38e3945748cb3023de965bff0ee6451edcdc1_2_225x500.jpeg.jpg

b18e8f195b35c7a76b1825656e265b19d085db3d_2_375x500.jpeg-1.jpg

f8f474c8bd2b75e4eea21d3a3d7dc4b3b5cc3eb8_2_225x500.jpeg.jpg

9fe0f29ac7e95521652314cf5e8e29185bdc7cbe_2_690x310.jpeg.jpg

cd85a9ba6ade145e2f9e4847ec3675040d5f23d5_2_500x500.jpeg.jpg
WOW! This is exciting! One of my original strains has gone legit! I have been too busy with everything else to get back to it.

Back
Top Bottom