Emmie's Perpetual Vegetative Grow Rooms - 2020-2021

We just got done making some significant changes in the small veg alcove. The window has been completely light sealed and Vivosun 6 mil 94-97% reflective diamond pattern mylar has been hung on the ceiling and the 3 walls. Without changing anything else, we now have 1500 more LUX at the canopy. When we install a door with some airflow and make that reflective too, the reflectivity will go up even more.

We have also given up on all the seedlings that have failed to rise above the surface. Let's see if we can do a little better on this next round of old seeds.

DSCF8238.JPG
DSCF8237.JPG
DSCF8236.JPG

no, but I am sure it would help a bit. I am trying to prove that keeping that jar of seeds in the fridge all these years has paid off, and I was sure that the results of the last germination proved that to be true. I am still convinced that I don't have 22 plants up right now because of my mistake, using supersoil to try to germinate them.

I have started the process again, this time intentionally with the oldest seeds that I own, my old original White Widow seed run, just about 10 years ago. I have just put 10 of them in spring water, and all but one are floating.

I also happened to have come into a stupid amount of Fox Farm soil. Not only did I order some on the big online delivery store, but when I was in the local farm and home today, I was surprised to find bags of Happy Frog and Ocean Forest on the shelf without a price. When I inquired, and they told me $17.99, I bought a bag of each and I think I am going to go back tomorrow and buy whatever they have left. Back in the day, we used Happy Frog to germinate seeds, knowing it as a light starter soil. I will be using it the same way, in just a few days.
Cool, I've been looking for a soil to germinate with.. Will give happy frog a try this spring. Thanks for dropping the info.

Tonight the girls all got to their first drying out and all got a proper watering as a reward for their hard work. Along with that, they all got their first, every two week feeding, of a teaspoon of @GeoFlora Nutrients Veg.

DSCF8252.JPG

It was already obvious by the growth during the last couple of days that the girls are loving their new light box, even though still uncompleted. Now having their first microbial infusion, along with any needed raw nutrients, they should really start taking off. Tomorrow they are all getting a little rolling cart to make things much easier on the gardener, who at 42, does not get up off of the hardwood floor as easily as she once did.

Here tonight, some close-ups of the girls, by name:

Gummy Bear
DSCF8247.JPG

Strawberry Cough
DSCF8249.JPG

Deep Cheese
DSCF8250.JPG

NYC Diesel
DSCF8251.JPG

Attachments

• DSCF8248.JPG
    DSCF8248.JPG
    314.6 KB · Views: 22
Morning , a little tip if it helps ,get a big match box , line with sandpaper inside , put in your seeds and shake the crap out of them for 30/40 seconds then soak 16 hours , i had old seeds stored in a shed where they got warm and wouldnt crack and this worked for 80% + , worth a go :)

:ciao: High Emilya,
I was also going to mention scarification, it’s quite important imo. I like to take a rectangular piece of sand paper and roll it into a tube. Block off each side with your index and thumb, pop the seed in and shake like hell.

I want to preface my advice on germination by saying that I truly value your opinion as a grower who is far more experienced than I. That said, I’ve recently switched to hempy germination only and I’m happy to report that I’m currently 8/8 since having switched. What’s more, every seed regardless of strain has come up the morning of the 3rd day, like clock work.

just burn a hole in a solo cup 2” up from the bottom. Fill the cup with perlite and tape the hole. add tap water til the perlite floats and let it sit over night. Remove the tape and let all of the water drain out except for whats in the reservoir . Larger pieces of perlite will make it to the top, so remove them. Plant your seed in the finer layer about 1/2” deep. You’ll have a happy sprout in 72 hours. you can let the sprout grow until you start to see true leaves, then pluck it and transplant it.

the issue is that proper soil structure for healthy plant growth often is too Moisture retentive for easy germination. The perlite strikes the perfect air to moisture balance. That’s why the paper towel works. But with the solo cup, you can let the sprout grow until you start to see true leaves.I beg you to try it, because I know you’ll never look back.. like i did.

some people might argue the moisture retentive thing, but the seeds we grow are often extremely expensive.. so i prefer to play it safe.

Now that that’s over.... Congratulations on your purchase and subsequent move!! We’re nearly to the point of purchasing our first house, so I’m feeling all kinds of envious. I would love to be planning my grow room build out. But I’ve got questions for you. I imagine you’ll be starting/continuing a compost bin. Will you start a vermiculture bin as well? That’s the thing I’m most excited for. Producing my own high quality vermicompost... once you’ve got that, the rest is easy. The worms will keep your plants healthy and happy.. oh not to mention the wallet. Vermicompost is expensive as fuuuuuuck

sorry I’m 5 pages late, but I’m excited to see your new op Emilya.

I will actually be able to measure it. I will measure the amount of LUX hitting the floor at a specific wattage before putting up the mylar and compare it to an identical situation after the mylar. It should be abundantly clear why we put up mylar just based on the results of that measurement.

Regarding the stark "high contrast" color scheme... it is a common way to add to the sellability of a home... it adds "impact." We will be "fixing" many areas in the home over time... I like much softer colors. But here in the grow room, we will reverse things to make the plants happy... the floor will be dark and the walls will be highly reflective.

As far as the straight shooting goes... I much prefer that over someone who pretends but then talks bad about me in other threads or on other forums... that shit hurts and is just not friendly.

Peace and love to everyone... even those who I have argued with, but most especially to those who have blocked me so they don't have to see my words. It is they whom I love the most, for it is there that I know that I have been the most influential.
:snowboating:
Got to stay true ;)

It has been a day in the paper towels... still not even the tiniest of roots. There might be something to seeds being too old, even kept in the fridge. Still holding out hope... and eyeing some Kosher Daddy seeds.
Emilya, do you think some of this could be pandemic related as to us touching the seeds with bare hands unknowingly infecting them? I had 5-7 Maple Leaf seeds that just stopped altogether swelled,cracked open just showing a small nub, then nothing after that..It was like they totally shut down.. I was germinating seeds at the height of the outbreak.. It just feels like something is off, especially when you are having this much trouble germinating seeds.I know you are dealing with age conditions here, but still expected a larger amount of seed germination to happen. I don't want to spend a ridiculous amount of money on seeds only to get minimum of one or two hatching.. Call me crazy , but i am going to take extra precautions this spring, try not to breath upon, or touch seeds without surgical gloves on.. if it is a factor?
PS-
I am going to have a crazy amount of Afghan1 seeds to play around with having pollinated both females. I'll probably run a couple test germinations using these seeds before i feel comfortable dropping anything that was shipped to me. Let me know if you need some seeds, be happy to send you some when they are ready..

Emilya, do you think some of this could be pandemic related as to us touching the seeds with bare hands unknowingly infecting them? I had 5-7 Maple Leaf seeds that just stopped altogether swelled,cracked open just showing a small nub, then nothing after that..It was like they totally shut down.. I was germinating seeds at the height of the outbreak.. It just feels like something is off, especially when you are having this much trouble germinating seeds.I know you are dealing with age conditions here, but still expected a larger amount of seed germination to happen. I don't want to spend a ridiculous amount of money on seeds only to get minimum of one or two hatching.. Call me crazy , but i am going to take extra precautions this spring, try not to breath upon, or touch seeds without surgical gloves on.. if it is a factor?
PS-
I am going to have a crazy amount of Afghan1 seeds to play around with having pollinated both females. I'll probably run a couple test germinations using these seeds before i feel comfortable dropping anything that was shipped to me. Let me know if you need some seeds, be happy to send you some when they are ready..
No, I don't think this has anything to do with the pandemic. I am over Covid-19 and no longer am able to pass on the virus. Even so, I try not to touch my seeds and when transferring to and from the paper towel, I use tweezers just to avoid any bacteria from my hands that might start to grow on the paper towel. I think the problems lately have to do with other factors, this time, very very old seeds and last time it was stupidly rich soil. Remember that on the last round, the vast majority of the seeds germinated and were only killed by being put into way too rich soil, way too early.

I am about to drop some fresh seeds and I think we will see a big difference in the energy from the very start. I will also be using a lot more reasonable soil, so I don't expect a lot of casualties once they get going.

As far as more seeds go, thanks, but I am good for now. Surely there is someone just starting out near you that would need those seeds more than I do; please make them happy with your gift.

No, I don't think this has anything to do with the pandemic. I am over Covid-19 and no longer am able to pass on the virus. Even so, I try not to touch my seeds and when transferring to and from the paper towel, I use tweezers just to avoid any bacteria from my hands that might start to grow on the paper towel. I think the problems lately have to do with other factors, this time, very very old seeds and last time it was stupidly rich soil. Remember that on the last round, the vast majority of the seeds germinated and were only killed by being put into way too rich soil, way too early.

I am about to drop some fresh seeds and I think we will see a big difference in the energy from the very start. I will also be using a lot more reasonable soil, so I don't expect a lot of casualties once they get going.

As far as more seeds go, thanks, but I am good for now. Surely there is someone just starting out near you that would need those seeds more than I do; please make them happy with your gift.
Ha Ha , I'm gonna have seeds, up the wazoo so just offering in case you were running short.. but no worries..that sounds great about you planting fresher seeds. At least this way you know it's not you, its the age of the seeds.. Either way you can have some piece of mind knowing an airborne mold or virus isnt effecting your germination... just thinking if we need to mask up and sanitize hands in public that it could effect seed propagation.. I try to think of every little thing but that's just me..

Side note: I follow NFL football.. Von Miller pass rusher for Denver Bronco's tested positive again after getting a clean bill of health from his initial exposure, so it's a miss nommer thinking once you've had it you are clear.. It's about self quarantining yourself away from the public when you are running hot and showing signs of being infected.

But I’ve got questions for you. I imagine you’ll be starting/continuing a compost bin. Will you start a vermiculture bin as well?
Yes indeed... was just looking at the tubs that I used to do my worm farm and thinking what a priority that needs to be. The same with a compost bin. Right now it is all still in trash cans, but the plans are to use some of my spare time to build a stand for a horizontally mounted 55 gallon drum with a door in the side, to be used as my compost bin.

Ha Ha , I'm gonna have seeds, up the wazoo so just offering in case you were running short.. but no worries..that sounds great about you planting fresher seeds. At least this way you know it's not you, its the age of the seeds.. Either way you can have some piece of mind knowing an airborne mold or virus isnt effecting your germination... just thinking if we need to mask up and sanitize hands in public that it could effect seed propagation.. I try to think of every little thing but that's just me..
Personally, I believe we have all turned into a bunch of scared little girls who really believed chicken little when he said the sky is falling. Masks do not stop viruses, and if you are wearing yours to protect others from your micro droplets... you should have been worried about coughing or sneezing on someone well before this pandemic came along. Studies are now proving that the masks are causing more problems than they solved, although they are great at identifying those who insist on being non compliant.

Personally, I believe we have all turned into a bunch of scared little girls who really believed chicken little when he said the sky is falling. Masks do not stop viruses, and if you are wearing yours to protect others from your micro droplets... you should have been worried about coughing or sneezing on someone well before this pandemic came along. Studies are now proving that the masks are causing more problems than they solved, although they are great at identifying those who insist on being non compliant.
Theres allot of unknowns here, and tend to stay on the safe side following CDC guidelines. You are a young woman and your immune system can fight it off.. I have an 86 year old mother and saw this thing really weaken her knocking her out for a couple weeks.. This thing attacks and weakens older people.. My friend Steve lost both of his parents within weeks of each other during the initial outbreak who were in a nursing home environment. Myself personally , I'm staying away from large crowds and shopping in non peak hours..

Theres allot of unknowns here, and tend to stay on the safe side following CDC guidelines. You are a young woman and your immune system can fight it off.. I have an 86 year old mother and saw this thing really weaken her knocking her out for a couple weeks.. This thing attacks and weakens older people.. My friend Steve lost both of his parents within weeks of each other during the initial outbreak who were in a nursing home environment. Myself personally , I'm staying away from large crowds and shopping in non peak hours..
Hydroxycloroquine ... we are being lied to. The stuff works. Just like any cold or flu, stay the heck away from old and sick people. Nothing has changed except your belief that it has.

Back
Top Bottom