Emmie's Recycled Organic Soil, Acapulco Gold, Retro Grow, 2016

(bloom, day 82 of 70)

This morning as our babies went to bed I noticed a few more trichomes starting to take on a bit of color...
Also, the pistils are now starting to pull back and change color too...

She is finishing...

Right now she appears to be packing on trichomes. Whereas at 6 and 7 weeks in I was worried about the lack of trichomes, that is no longer the case with this long running beauty. She is going to be dank as dank can be by the time she finishes. I have learned something in the last couple of runs and now not only watch the trichomes and the pistils for when I think a plant is ready to harvest, but I have been going to the breeder sites and comparing their pictures of a finished plant with mine. I am now getting consistently stronger yields after forcing myself to wait for the plants to achieve what I know they are capable of, and that is what we are waiting for here. The pictures I have seen of this strain show me rock hard solid buds and no white pistils. They show a bud that has filled in and solid... these are not quite there yet. I do see what I am looking for at places on these two plants... they are working on it. I just have to remember that it is up to the plants, not me, when they are done. I have to make sure that I am only an observer... and a patient one at that.

When i ran my mexican re-veg the first time I chopped her at 11 weeks and after it was all said and done, not enough amber and the effect was too speedy for me. This time around I chopped all the large buds at 12 weeks and there was a lot more amber than I thought there would be when I looked through the microscope, I was surprised. I left the smaller buds to go to 13 weeks while the drying cabinet was being used and when I chopped those, I found one small seed, so 13-14 weeks would of been my max. All the mexican weed I grow do not show a lot of trichs until the end. The bad thing about that is you don't get to show her off like all those sugar coated girls, lol.

Yours are looking so fat! Nicely done.

(day 85)

We are just days away now. Water use has slowed way down... they are dying. I am now spotting the very first few amber's up at the top, a few more at the bottom, and less than 30% of the pistils are still white.

Here are some HPS shots... but I think you can see what is going on. The closeup of the trichomes is misleading under this light however, they are all cloudy and milky colored in white light.

ag_bud_almost_ready.JPG

DSCF6075.JPG

DSCF6074.JPG

DSCF6073.JPG

DSCF60721.JPG

(day 87)

Finally! I am seeing 1% amber at the top on one of the plants... the other, no. Man this is a slow finisher to do this right...

Surely in the next week or so they will both be done. The buds are huge... this is going to be amazing once it finishes out. I just watered again last night at their lights on, but even though pretty dry, they didn't want a lot, and I could tell that they were not sucking it right up like they have been all these weeks. Growing Acapulco Gold is an exercise in patience.

Harvest! Day 92!

I finally saw 5-10% amber. It is hard to see on this girl, especially under amber light, but it was there, and she was fading fast, right on schedule. Both plants were put in the dark for 36 hours and chopped the next morning. Both plants yielded less than was expected, but still not bad, if you don't consider how long it took to get to this point.

Harvest was interesting too. The buds are mostly bud... very little leaf to bud ratio, and the easiest way to clean her up was to simply pull out the fan leaves. Scissors were hardly used on this one, and she was effectively cleaned with fingers only. It took some extra time I think to do it this way, but it was worth it... these buds are dank and delicious looking. About a third of the buds reached epic size for my tents, coke can sized and about a foot long. Between the two plants over a pound of wet pot was harvested, and after taking out 10% for woodage, and figuring dry weight at 1/4 of the wet weight, I estimate there will be just short of 6oz dried and cured... 5 for sure. It has been a good run.

ag_harvest.JPG

Alas the deed is done. Great grow Emmy I've thoroughly enjoyed the journal. It's only a couple weeks until my Explosia is ready, she's at day 56 since flip. Hoping to get results like yours, beautiful buds my dear. Obviously some harvest reps are on the way... :bravo:

KiG :green_heart:Cheers

DSCF6116.JPG

After the first stage of drying is when I clip the buds from the branches and break up some of the bigger buds into good sized nugs. Our girls were not overly impressive at this stage, the nugs not being as firm as we thought they should be, but oh what a difference a couple of days makes.
Curing is critical on this one, and once dried into the curing range, a remarkable transformation begins to happen. The green is rapidly being replaced with a golden brown, and the buds are getting crispy. Test buds last night prove that she is going to have a great head to her, and even now the taste is not too bad. We are still working on getting her down into the curing range full time, and have been burping the jar as needed, several times a day. She will calm down soon, and we will add 3 or 4 Boveda packs to settle her in for a long cure.

Well, here it is... the final report. With this message I will ask the moderators to move this journal to the completed folder, and I thank everyone who has watched and/or commented on this journey. It was fun, and I am glad that we did it.

Things I learned in this grow... don't leap to conclusions. Old isn't necessarily better. Some legends die.

My Dad is part of this report, because essentially this grow was for him, to bring him back a taste from his childhood. Dad's conclusion is that pot is indeed better in the 21st century than it was in his day.

My experience was also a bit of a disappointment, but I hesitated to write about it until Dad gave his honest opinion. For that we were very patient, and we have let the product cure until now, and I would say that it is about as cured as it is going to get. I report a less than firm bud, but full of trichomes and a good overall body high that lasts for a long while. The more you smoke, the stronger this gets, and over a night of smoking, a nice pleasant stone invades everyone in the room. For us connoisseurs of modern hybrid smoke however, the taste is less than blase, and it sort of looks funky in the bag... but it is there, and it serves it purpose... it just doesn't stand up to a modern Jack Herer or a Green Crack... not even close. Dad said grow more of the good stuff. That is what we will do.

Acapulco Gold was fun, but until I can grow outside, she can't compete with the better offerings I have in my seed bag.

Till the next one...
Em out... peace

Hope all is well in your world.

Thanks for sharing this grow with us.

Please head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too.

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please feel free to start a new journal here: Journals in Progress

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

After further reflection on our Acapulco Gold, I have a few more comments to make.

Lately my brother, girlfriend and I have been schooled by my father, an old hippy type from the '70's. It was he who inspired us to grow this classic variety, and he who has ultimately shown us how to enjoy it. I now report to you what I have learned from the old man, about growing and enjoying this strain.

Admittedly, pot is much stronger these days, and many of us now used to these modern one and two hit wonder strains of the 21st Century, have missed out on an experience such as the gold provides. We in 2016 are used to taking a couple of hits, and putting it down, and some of us even mainline the stuff with dabs and shatters and whatnot. The days of passing big fatty joints around until everyone has had enough has been lost on a lot of the newbies now entering the cannabis world, and the middlings like me who just missed out on the 60's and 70's. Pot is so expensive these days, the thought of rolling up an ounce and smoking it with your friends in one night... well, that rarely happens anymore. We have lost those days when a quarter pound of pot was $90 and an ounce was free if you sold 3 of your ounces for $30 to your friends who didn't have a "connection." Apparently a lot of pot flowed around back then, being imported in bulk from mexico and columbia, and it was much cheaper and easy to get. Things have changed, haven't they?

So for the last couple of weeks, it has been a celebration of the 70's at our house. Good strong sweet earthy 70's pot has been flowing freely, and I have learned that I am only good for about 2 joints of the stuff before I am done for the night, and I have a pretty high tolerance level! We have learned that if you smoke enough of this classic smoke, and of course that was the way it was done in the 70's, it is perfectly acceptable, and totally enjoyable pot. Not at $300/ounce it isnt... but that isn't what is promised with Acapulco Gold... it was a different way of getting high back then.

I am glad we grew this one out. We have all learned a lot from the experience. I am off work today, and finished my first big fatty before writing this... and now I will light up my second one. I will be good till evening...

so I'm 57 years old and smoked allot of Acapulco gold back in the day... Illinois went medical/recreational use Jan,1, 2020.
I also ordered seed from Barney's. (10 Acapulco Gold Regular ) Hoping to get some males and some fem's in the mix. Gonna start my grow soon, so this is great.. Gonna read up and taking notes ..

After further reflection on our Acapulco Gold, I have a few more comments to make.

Lately my brother, girlfriend and I have been schooled by my father, an old hippy type from the '70's. It was he who inspired us to grow this classic variety, and he who has ultimately shown us how to enjoy it. I now report to you what I have learned from the old man, about growing and enjoying this strain.

Admittedly, pot is much stronger these days, and many of us now used to these modern one and two hit wonder strains of the 21st Century, have missed out on an experience such as the gold provides. We in 2016 are used to taking a couple of hits, and putting it down, and some of us even mainline the stuff with dabs and shatters and whatnot. The days of passing big fatty joints around until everyone has had enough has been lost on a lot of the newbies now entering the cannabis world, and the middlings like me who just missed out on the 60's and 70's. Pot is so expensive these days, the thought of rolling up an ounce and smoking it with your friends in one night... well, that rarely happens anymore. We have lost those days when a quarter pound of pot was $90 and an ounce was free if you sold 3 of your ounces for $30 to your friends who didn't have a "connection." Apparently a lot of pot flowed around back then, being imported in bulk from mexico and columbia, and it was much cheaper and easy to get. Things have changed, haven't they?

So for the last couple of weeks, it has been a celebration of the 70's at our house. Good strong sweet earthy 70's pot has been flowing freely, and I have learned that I am only good for about 2 joints of the stuff before I am done for the night, and I have a pretty high tolerance level! We have learned that if you smoke enough of this classic smoke, and of course that was the way it was done in the 70's, it is perfectly acceptable, and totally enjoyable pot. Not at $300/ounce it isnt... but that isn't what is promised with Acapulco Gold... it was a different way of getting high back then.

I am glad we grew this one out. We have all learned a lot from the experience. I am off work today, and finished my first big fatty before writing this... and now I will light up my second one. I will be good till evening...
A really nice outlook on today's weed vs the old gold we grew up on and still love to this day..I'm glad you got to see it go from green to corn chip gold ..It's an amazing share and thanks for time traveling back.. I had to give up pot smoking because of the machinery i was entrusted with, million dollar 5 color Heidelberg web presses and the company Pee tested.. It's been since 1986 to now that finally this year i can smoke legally .. and haven't touched a dispensary and wont.. I'm waiting till I can harvest my own weed and get the joy from that.. I waited this long, I can wait a little bit longer... Because of your thread I'm definitely considering crossing a couple plants just to maybe bring it up to today's standards .. But what you grew looks F**king amazing Girl!!!! You Fing inspire me !!... again great job on the journal and grow...

Thanks for the props @Anthony Suszko! I am glad that I have been able to help inspire you, but I suspect you have been toying with this idea for some time now and that it was inevitable that we ended up here together. Good luck on the future grow, and please check out some of my journaling work since this grow, as new ideas and techniques have made things better and better each time around here. When you do start, please start a grow journal and tag me so I can follow along, and especially get to be a part of your reactions when you finally get to smoke your own well grown pot. Wait for it... it is worth it, that very first joint from plants who grew their goodness just for you will be an experience to savor, and I do hope you share it with us. Good luck!
:yahoo:

Thanks for the props @Anthony Suszko! I am glad that I have been able to help inspire you, but I suspect you have been toying with this idea for some time now and that it was inevitable that we ended up here together. Good luck on the future grow, and please check out some of my journaling work since this grow, as new ideas and techniques have made things better and better each time around here. When you do start, please start a grow journal and tag me so I can follow along, and especially get to be a part of your reactions when you finally get to smoke your own well grown pot. Wait for it... it is worth it, that very first joint from plants who grew their goodness just for you will be an experience to savor, and I do hope you share it with us. Good luck!
:yahoo:
The kizmit thing - Destiny, Fate.. yes for sure :laugh:
To be honest, for my own sanity when I stopped smoking pot I went cold turkey. I parked my 85 black Pontiac Firebird along the Fox River bridge off RT 38, popped the trunk and pulled out a big box of all my smoking paraphernalia, bongs, bubbler, steamrollers, pipes, and pitched it over the bridge.. (I know, I know, How Drama Cliche'..Whatever lol)
What took the place of pot was brewing beer and Wood carving... I'm the only one as far as i know who had a 16 foot native American Haida inspired totem pole in his back yard carved with chisels and mallet.. I also carved detailed wooden trout and North American species traveling to Vegas for World fish carving championships. Also was featured on the 7 Oclock news as one of Harry Porterfield's "someone You Should Know" interviews.. I did all this and worked 12 hour shifts..
So like it wasnt till recent that I even thought about it,. and when this Covid19 quarantine thing hit, the decision was easy.. grow pot or go stir crazy.. I was already coming down with depression and stuck in a daily rut I hated..
Trump Stimulus money helped me finance seed and a grow panel... I traveled back in time through Google to hunt down my favorite bong that I pitched into the river back in the 80's... Isnt she a beauty lol.. She's a replica but she'll do. My grow is going to be really low budget and almost embarrassed to post a journal about growing on the cheap.. I'll have to think about it..

Attachments

• b bong.jpg
    b bong.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 159
Back
Top Bottom