Emmie's Vegan Fertilizer, Pineapple Chunk 2020 Celebration: Experimental Soil Grow

Full Bloom, Day 31
All continues to proceed along at the same pace we have been seeing, and with the MC at 5g/g the leaves are returning to a more healthy color overall while growth remains robust. There are still some tip burns way up high in the canopy telling me that the last few waterings still ended up with something too hot in the soil, but the very tip top growth is not showing burns, informing me that things are now on the right track.

DSCF7869.JPG

All the leaves that have been partially damaged are still working well and in no danger of being pulled in by the plant.

DSCF7868.JPG
DSCF7867.JPG

I do agree now that once having determined that I had a nute overload, a flush may have gotten us to the finish without as much damage to the leaves, but these are working plants, and they now have scars to prove it. With an exception of a slight pause when the lockout was at its worse, keeping the nutes coming in at slightly less than the upper level has kept the buds rapidly developing.

Several of the buds are starting to get that conical look to them that is typical of week 5, and soon we will be doing a few backbuilding cuts around the tent to change the shape of the final buds. This is Pineapple Chunk though, so the buds will already tend to be more chunky than tapered... and I plan on helping that out where I can.

DSCF7864.JPG

The buds are beginning to pack on trichomes and give us a clue as to what is coming. Only 2 or 3 of the kolas are going to end up achieving the "footlong bud" category, but there are going to be lots of strong chunky secondary buds way down at least 2' into the canopy.

DSCF7870.JPG
DSCF7863.JPG
DSCF7862.JPG

This cycle I added an extra day to the watering cycle, just to see again how far we are pushing the plants by watering every other day. Today they got their normal 1 gallon apiece and with significantly less runoff than we have been seeing... hardly any, and I have just confirmed that they are indeed using more water than ever before. This extra day also takes care of the odd number of days in the month, and we will resume watering on the even numbered days of the month all through February.

DSCF7861.JPG

Nothing like a little hurdle to jump to keep us on our toes :)

And chunky secondary buds 2' below canopy - that's impressive!

Nothing like a little hurdle to jump to keep us on our toes :)

And chunky secondary buds 2' below canopy - that's impressive!
I misspoke... there are little buds 2' below the canopy on the plant that I didn't clean up as well as the others, but I meant to say that I will be getting good bud 2' below the light, about a foot into the canopy.

I cut back to 4.5grms and things seem to have slowed, not stopped. This damn MC lockout nuked my Mazar's and is affecting my SODK the most. Things were looking soooo good before I went to 5grms. Lesson learned.

Welcome to the group giving Mega Crop a run. I see you have V2 of their product. I'm really looking forward to seeing what your plants will look like with the attention to detail you put in all of your grows. Wishing you the best of luck on this adventure!
Is it true Mega Crop will send you a free sample?

I started by checking the ppm of the recommended 6.5g/gal. Then I added 1g/gal til my ppm stick was reading in a range I’m happy with.

regarding bottles nutes; I’ve found that the nutrient lines I’ve used end up needing 2-4x the recommended dose to reach the recommended ppm. Which actually ends up being a huge problem when you’re first dialing in the dynagro... if you mix it all up and realize the ppm is way under, you can’t add the protekt again cause it will 100% precipitate.
ChefDGreen This is where I feel that I'm being hit with a curve ball. I Think the opposite. When I use bottle nutrients using the recommended ppm I'm always in that 1000 ppm to 1200 ppm range for that particular week, so I use it half strength. Unless, I am doing something wrong. I mix my nutrients individually with water before putting them in a 5 gal. bucket of water and I use distilled water that way I feel that I know my ppm and it should be true. I also understand what Emilya is saying that we are to timid and should bump up the nutrients and see the plants potential. I have been timid for a long time with my girls and this is about learning.

Full Bloom, Day 33

Being an even numbered calendar day, it is watering day. Have had all of my timid parts replaced at an early age for those that love experiments and pushing the limits, I am pleased to report that the experiment must go on! No one here expects me to do things the way everyone else is doing, because that is not how I roll. I would be doing this Megacrop experiment a disservice if I didn't add a fresh eye and a new way of looking at this thing with my personal experiments.

I don't even own a working pH meter at the moment... my bulb went bad a long time ago. I am slightly curious what the pH of this mix ends up at when mixed with my tap water, but I am convinced by the scientific data that as long as I am within 6.5-5.5 pH, all is good. I know that unless something demonic happens in my tent, my soil is going to stay stable at whatever pH it may happen to be 7 years into its active life, and it also is not a concern in this grow.

What I did do is overload the nutes, rushing to get my power plants up to the "maximum" recommended MegaCrop level. Giving 6g/gal was satisfying, and for a while it looked like the plants were loving it.... and I didn't notice the dark deep green creeping in before it was too late.

There are several bad things you can do and we have seen a couple of them in this grow. Early on I gave BE, heavy on PK, before the P could be used. It built up, and I locked out K. Then I rushed up to the 6g/gal level, and even without supplements a new problem crept in. Again it presented as a K deficiency, but this time the cause was not excess P, it was excess Calcium, which has been loaded in as 7% of the MC base product, that was causing the problem, and again it first locked out K.

DSCF7871.JPG

So for the last 3 watering cycles I have reduced the base MC, first to 5.5 and then to 5, and things have slowly stabilized. The K deficiency damage has not progressed. The upper growth remains robust, and slowly the color of the plants has come back down to where we are told to aim for... the MegaCrop green. After 3 cycles of reduced nutes, things have stabilized and my plants look great, with a few battle scars indicating problems encountered and solved.

DSCF7875.JPG
DSCF7872.JPG

We now know that the MC is being ground up, and without all of the big white balls, by volume MC now has to be denser and we have to be getting more calcium in our mixes than ever before. You may find that the 6g you were giving is now too strong with the new mix... I did.

For the moment anyway, it looks to me like 5g/g is just right for my garden... my 5 gallon containers, my soil with @Vulx and my strong light. I suspect that this will change, and toward the end of bloom I may reduce it some more, based on the green. I am not however willing to give up what I can add to the grow with the supplements. Someone has to do it and I am going to keep pushing these plants as hard as they let me. We know that GLN is reformulating the BE and SC and it is my guess that they are now too strong to be used in the concentrations recommended, along with the newest MC.
DSCF7873.JPG

Knowing that right now at this point in the grow, the plants can use massive amounts of extra P and K, I resumed the SC and the BE with this watering, but only at 1/2 gram per gallon. Let's see how the plants handle this.

I will keep experimenting so that you don't have to. Go slow, and every time you want to increase the concentrations of the GLN products in your garden, remind yourself that those innocent looking powders are very powerful.

DSCF7874.JPG

I ordered a free sample and paid the shipping. They shipped it from Amazon.ca

They offered this to canada? I emailed them and they said 500g sample only for US....bastards

I got a 900g sample?

your plants looks beautiful @Emilya. I love it when they get to that stage where the calyxes start to peak through the pistils.

@Gardener022 are you confirming that ppm with a device? Or are you just assuming those numbers based on what the bottles say? Cause I’ve found the bottles (for dynagro and Blue planets elite series) to be off on ppm by 2-4x. To get to recommended ppm I’m adding 2 to 4 times the recommended ml/gal. I sort of stumbled into this as a newcomer. I figured on my first grow that ppm was the most accurate way to feed my plants and they turned out so sticky and heavy yielding that I’m convinced you need to hit the ppm ranges they’re recommending more so than the ml/gal.

I got a 900g sample?

your plants looks beautiful @Emilya. I love it when they get to that stage where the calyxes start to peak through the pistils.

@Gardener022 are you confirming that ppm with a device? Or are you just assuming those numbers based on what the bottles say? Cause I’ve found the bottles (for dynagro and Blue planets elite series) to be off on ppm by 2-4x. To get to recommended ppm I’m adding 2 to 4 times the recommended ml/gal. I sort of stumbled into this as a newcomer. I figured on my first grow that ppm was the most accurate way to feed my plants and they turned out so sticky and heavy yielding that I’m convinced you need to hit the ppm ranges they’re recommending more so than the ml/gal.
I am confirming this with a meter.

I am confirming this with a meter.
Well if I were you, I would try running at least one (indica heavy) plant at those numbers and see what you get... worst case you have a plant for edibles.

Mega-crop or Amazon?

Megacrop gln

I ordered it on their website I think the shipping was $7 or $8. Then they sent me an e-mail saying it would be sent from Amazon.ca and it showed up a couple days later.
Lucky! Yeah i even emailed them and they said no to canada delivery.
I ended up ordering 2500g from amazon and bag came ripped with mc spilt into the box...i complained to amazon and they reimbursed me so it worked out in the end!

Back
Top Bottom