Emmie's Vegan Fertilizer, Pineapple Chunk 2020 Celebration: Experimental Soil Grow

I did this last week because of the Flushing. . I'm guessing the stress. They weren't using as much water, and I pick up the pots and I could tell by the weight and by running my finger down in the soil that it was just too moist to Water again. So when the pots felt close to normal I watered last night. Except for one Mazar and 2 others that will get watered tonight. Usually it would be every 3-4 days.

Synesthesia, I have it... and one of my new heros has it too. It is hard for someone like me to make friends... I don't chat. I talk more here than anywhere else in the world. I am that weird girl with the odd hair and funny clothes sitting alone in the lunchroom. I found my outlet in math, writing and teaching. My hero, Billie Eilish releases her genius through her music. This song could be about me... it is me.

The book I have lists coco as one of the bulk ingredients along with peat moss, perlite, and EWC or compost. I think the ratio is like 3:blushsmile:winkyface:2 peat moss:coco: perlite:ewc.
Aha! There is a difference. There's no peat listed in my book. Mine reads:
6 gal organic soil
2 gal coco coir
4 gal pearlite
4 gal EWC
Can you tell me where the peat fits in the ratio? Does it look like he combined coco and peat to make the 2 gal? Maybe you can post a copy of the recipe?

Synesthesia, I have it... and one of my new heros has it too. It is hard for someone like me to make friends... I don't chat. I talk more here than anywhere else in the world. I am that weird girl with the odd hair and funny clothes sitting alone in the lunchroom. I found my outlet in math, writing and teaching. My hero, Billie Eilish releases her genius through her music. This song could be about me... it is me.
Billie ia taking over. So if I was a "Little monster" back when, what am I now? I love how musical and fluid her music is to me. And confident attitude, oh yeah. It's a mite too deep for this ol fart to really understand having listened only a few times but if it is you, then you pretty cool! And flexible!

Originally I was exclusively FFOF and I ran for several years using their system and one day I got tired of throwing away soil after several runs and I decided to go organic, first starting with building one of the original versions of supersoil, Subcool's. It also called for coco as one of the components, but after working with FFOF for so long I wanted to lighten it up a bit, and I created a 50/50 mix of FFOF and Roots Organic 101 for my base. Part of this mix after mineralization became my supersoil, and the rest remained as my base soil for the top 2/3 of my containers.
After 5 or 6 years of running these soils, the two batches began to merge together, even as best I tried not to, and coming out of my last run as a TLO I declared the soil the winner of this game, merged them all together and have as a result the soil that I am using today... about a 50/50 mix of base soil and 7 year old supersoil, re-amended multiple times. Having lost control of the supersoil was one of my primary reasons for seriously considering leaving organics for a while and checking out MegaCrop.
I am leaning toward mc. for this upcoming summer season. But LOS has my attention for sure. Not sure I ready for that as yet. :reading420magazine: What do you mean when you say you lost control of your soil? :peace: :Rasta:

What do you mean when you say you lost control of your soil?
I no longer knew how much of it was supersoil and how much was base soil... between layers and spikes and additional amendments in the compost bins... I lost track... they were merging together.... so I said the heck with it and threw it all together and called it good, but without a soil analysis at this point... I am not sure where we are at minerally speaking.

I no longer knew how much of it was supersoil and how much was base soil... between layers and spikes and additional amendments in the compost bins... I lost track... they were merging together.... so I said the heck with it and threw it all together and called it good, but without a soil analysis at this point... I am not sure where we are at minerally speaking.
So you are saying you are not sure what to add to amend it anymore? At this point would you just start over with a new batch and use the old for top dressing or just throw it in the outdoor gardens?

So you are saying you are not sure what to add to amend it anymore? At this point would you just start over with a new batch and use the old for top dressing or just throw it in the outdoor gardens?
I started with the base soil that I did knowing that it would last for decades if I took good care of it. I started this project with the urban dweller in mind, who can't be bringing large amounts of soil in and out or throwing away a lot of debris. My compost bins and permanent soil were the answer to this, and to greatly reducing my cost per grow. I have been using and amending this soil with what I have guessed the plants have been using up and that I need to replenish, but I have never checked where it really was with a good analysis. A few grows back I had a long running sativa in a 3 gal container of this stuff and near the end of the grow the soil fell flat... totally gave out. There were no nutrients left. So after that grow I threw in a cup of this... handfuls of that... and I grew another strong organic grow with that soil, my last prize winning journal as a matter of fact. But now I am second guessing myself, and I am not willing to risk a 4 month grow without first testing the soil to see what I might need to add or if I have gotten things out of balance. Once I see the report, I can make the soil just as good as it has ever been, by adding back whatever is necessary. Although the outdoor garden would love it, I would hate to have to rebuild 75 gallons of supersoil from scratch. For now, MC is allowing me to step away from all of that and still allow me to get the quality of grow that I am used to, and I may use this soil until it totally breaks down in another 5 years or so since I am already storing it.

Final Flower, Day 44

Everything seems to be humming along nicely with the 5g hit of MC yesterday. The calcium deficiency spotting has not progressed, and I think some of it has repaired itself.
DSCF7928.JPG

The buds are really building now, with little foxtails of brand new calyxes piling on top of the others, starting to make the buds chunk out in places. It is really awesome to see the plants working so hard with their MC and supplements. The green has come up another notch to remind me what MC green looks like.

I don't have any time to play around with the end on this run, as I fly out on a week long vacation on the 29th. These plants are going to be done on time, chopped and put in the fridge to start low and slow for that week, after just a couple of days of hang drying. Its not going to be perfect, but its all I can do having already booked the flight that will get me and Ms. J. out of this seesaw Missouri weather for a week. Ventura Beach, here we come!

I leave you with some shots of the buds, caught in the act as they are building furiously toward their end in 11 days.
DSCF7927.JPG
DSCF7926.JPG
DSCF7925.JPG
DSCF7924.JPG
DSCF7929.JPG

I don’t know about all that but you’re cool. I have 3 daughters and everyone of them marches to a different drum. One smart/jock, one genius book worm and one is more artistic/metal. Whatever. Gotta look up what you got, hope you’re ok.

Ok that brings up a lot of questions. So when I’m done, I put the pots in bins, chop them up, re-amend with minerals per amount I’m keeping? Then just let it cook? Can I keep it all and use it for the whole pot next time?

Synesthesia, I have it... and one of my new hero's has it too. It is hard for someone like me to make friends... I don't chat. I talk more here than anywhere else in the world. I am that weird girl with the odd hair and funny clothes sitting alone in the lunchroom. I found my outlet in math, writing and teaching. My hero, Billie Eilish releases her genius through her music. This song could be about me... it is me.

Past Tense or Present Indicative?

Ok that brings up a lot of questions. So when I’m done, I put the pots in bins, chop them up, re-amend with minerals per amount I’m keeping? Then just let it cook? Can I keep it all and use it for the whole pot next time?
I have what is known as number synesthesia... I can hear certain numbers and sequences of numbers in my mind, and I can visualize mathematical problems as geometrical shapes that interact with each other. I used to think this was normal and that everyone saw numbers this way, but apparently not many people can do what I do. There are certain mathematical equations that I can visualize in my mind and I can see where the answer must be in spacial form without doing the calculation. I have tried to explain this to teachers who insist on doing the long calculations, but I can't get anyone to understand what I am seeing. People around me also emit sounds and colors, and ever since a child I have used those colors to judge whether people were being truthful with me. Especially in crowds, this can become very overwhelming, with way too much input coming in to process, so I have never liked crowds, and always enjoyed my solitude.

On the soil, yes, I always tried to have at least half of my soil cooking in any recent amendments, the last rootballs and trim debris and branches, while the other half worked on my current grow. I do try to strip away the supersoil and spikes from the base soil above and store that separately, but over time, it all tends to start to merge together, especially when you are processing entire solidly grown rootballs. Eventually, it all does become a weaker form of supersoil and I have used it successfully, again in that last grow, as an organic minerally enriched soil, slightly less strong than the actual supersoil in the bottom third. I think at that point you could safely use it as the entire container's fill.

Hey Em, just catching up on the past 5 pages or so. I didn’t realize you were causing such a ruckus in the MC world. Lol!

I’m not sure if you recall, but I started MC on my new grow, and also reused my amended “super soil”. After I finished off the grow using URB compost teas, I broke down all 6 5g pots, added in more #4 perlite, 8 quarts of local compost, 8 quarts of EWC, a cup of Down to Earth 4-8-4 dry Flower/Bloom mix, mixed it all up, and let it “cook” for a few months.

DTE Bloom Ingredients:
TOTAL NITROGEN (N) 4.0%
0.4% Water Soluble Nitrogen
3.6% Water Insoluble Nitrogen
AVAILABLE PHOSPHATE (P2O5) 8.0%
SOLUBLE POTASH (K2O) 4.0%
MAGNESIUM (Mg) 2.0%
Derived from:
Fish Bone Meal, Blood Meal, Langbeinite, Alfalfa Meal, Seabird Guano, Rock Phosphate, and Kelp Meal
ALSO CONTAINS NON-PLANT FOOD INGREDIENT(S):
2.5% Humic Acids derived from Leonardite

I used this soil for my abandoned ladies grow, just to see if it was strong enough to get through bloom with water only, but started having P-K issues late in flower, so I started using my GLN SC and BE to finish them off.

I was worried about using the soil (with MC) on my new plants, so I decided to buy a bag of FFHF and use it for my seedlings, and 1 gallon uppot.

My concern came up again when it came time to go into 5 gallon last weekend. I wasn’t sure whether or not to go grab another bag of FF, or just use the huge batch of “cooked” soil I have on hand.

Well I decided to throw the half bag of leftover FFHF in with my soil mix, and roll with it. I had good results with my first grow, so I figured why not.

Im at 4g/gal MC and have been for weeks. My plants are thriving, but I wanted your opinion before they get their first real feed. Do you see any issues with continuing to feed MC right after the uppot, or should I go plain water first feed to see how they act?

After transplant on Sunday, I used water only to saturate the soil, but it's time to feed today.

My thought is that the DTE had been broken down over the past few months, and wouldn’t be an issue using MC right off the bat. What are your thoughts?

Yes, I would start with the MC right off the bat and I would not go a plain water first. MC will totally take over the feeding cycle and the microbial activity in the soil will slowly grind to a halt with nothing for them to do. The DTE that is left over will be used as it can be, but soon the plant will be relying on all of its needs from the MC that jets right up into the plant with the water and drops its nutrients right there inside the plant.

Past Tense or Present Indicative?
both... I have always been an in your face, let me see if I can shock you sort of girl and one who for a long time didn't like anyone trying to interact with me. I have gotten a lot better after figuring out college, and I even smile now and then these days... Miss J. has been very good for me.

Yes, I would start with the MC right off the bat and I would not go a plain water first. MC will totally take over the feeding cycle and the microbial activity in the soil will slowly grind to a halt with nothing for them to do. The DTE that is left over will be used as it can be, but soon the plant will be relying on all of its needs from the MC that jets right up into the plant with the water and drops its nutrients right there inside the plant.
Thanks Em.

I have what is known as number synesthesia... I can hear certain numbers and sequences of numbers in my mind, and I can visualize mathematical problems as geometrical shapes that interact with each other. I used to think this was normal and that everyone saw numbers this way, but apparently not many people can do what I do. There are certain mathematical equations that I can visualize in my mind and I can see where the answer must be in spacial form without doing the calculation. I have tried to explain this to teachers who insist on doing the long calculations, but I can't get anyone to understand what I am seeing. People around me also emit sounds and colors, and ever since a child I have used those colors to judge whether people were being truthful with me. Especially in crowds, this can become very overwhelming, with way too much input coming in to process, so I have never liked crowds, and always enjoyed my solitude.

On the soil, yes, I always tried to have at least half of my soil cooking in any recent amendments, the last rootballs and trim debris and branches, while the other half worked on my current grow. I do try to strip away the supersoil and spikes from the base soil above and store that separately, but over time, it all tends to start to merge together, especially when you are processing entire solidly grown rootballs. Eventually, it all does become a weaker form of supersoil and I have used it successfully, again in that last grow, as an organic minerally enriched soil, slightly less strong than the actual supersoil in the bottom third. I think at that point you could safely use it as the entire container's fill.
Ok thanks Emilya...Do you find that color is an accurate gage?

Back
Top Bottom