Emmie's Vegan Fertilizer, Pineapple Chunk 2020 Celebration: Experimental Soil Grow

You know it’s a crazy thing. I think about this all time. How we home growers (especially at 420M) that talk to each other and share knowledge are really on the cutting edge of growing technology and technique. There are so many of us with so many different methodologies that our ability to Information gather is outrageous

I refer clients to this very grow journal, so if you believe Vulx is new science, then it can be said that members here are quite literally at the forefront of new technology being applied at commercial scales.

Edit: I mean, it is new science. But it's my job to convince you of that, isn't it? ;)

I usually look at it in terms of, do you think I can realistically get you an extra $15 worth of bud to break even on the cost for treating a 5 gal pot?

An extra couple grams? Easy peasy.

is the 2lb bucket only enough for one 5 gallon pot? Or how many gallons of soil can you mix that entire bucket into?

is the 2lb bucket only enough for one 5 gallon pot? Or how many gallons of soil can you mix that entire bucket into?

7-10 gallons per 750g bucket, depending on weight of your substrate.

Usually 75g/gal will do it, but for the heavier soils you need to add at 5% by weight. For a dense soil you can do 125g/gallon.

For any sort of "overdose" you'd have to intentionally add too much. Benefits stack up until you reach probably 10-15% by weight and then it just starts to get less effective (not become toxic), but you can get excellent effects with 5% by weight, and that's generally where the most cost-effective application tends to be.

For anything lighter than 3lbs a gallon 75g/gal is the minimum mix.

For reverence, FFOF is about 3.5lbs/gal, so somewhere between 80-85g/gal would do it.

Usually 75g/gal will do it, but for the heavier soils you need to add at 5% by weight. For a dense soil you can do 125g/gallon.

For any sort of "overdose" you'd have to intentionally add too much. Benefits stack up until you reach probably 10-15% by weight and then it just starts to get less effective (not become toxic), but you can get excellent effects with 5% by weight, and that's generally where the most cost-effective application tends to be.

For reverence, FFOF is about 3.5lbs/gal, so somewhere between 80-85g/gal would do it.

okay so with those numbers something like 8-10 gallons of soil is about what a 750g bucket can do.

From your website, I gather that a single application is needed when the substrate, whatever we use, is put into service. It's like a catalyst in chemical reactions - it is not consumed by the grow. Am I correct in this characterization?

Does it flush out of the substrate over time? I grow in 70% coco / 30% perlite, and re-use the medium constantly. I just replace that which has broken down during the grow. I'm watering to between 10% and 20% run off up to three times per day. I'm wondering if it will stay in the coco/perlite used for drain-to-waste hydroponics, or need to be topped up between grows.

I'll respond to this here as well since it's already been asked. My sponsor thread is in my signature if there's any more Q&A. :)

Does it flush out of the substrate over time? I grow in 70% coco / 30% perlite, and re-use the medium constantly. I just replace that which has broken down during the grow. I'm watering to between 10% and 20% run off up to three times per day. I'm wondering if it will stay in the coco/perlite used for drain-to-waste hydroponics, or need to be topped up between grows.

You are correct that it does not get broken down.

However, some will be washed out when in coco. Every two grows just add 5 grams or so and that should be fine.

Kudos on reusing the coco. A lot of guys out here just throw it out.

In soil, maybe once per year do a 5-10% topup (so if you treated with 100kg initially just add 5-10kg at the beginning of the season). Even that may be too much.

Veg, Day 17
Incredible growth continues in all the plants. This time I am waiting on the plants to drain the container before giving any water, even on the sides. A strong wet/dry cycle is establishing itself.
DSCF7546.JPG

In studying all the data coming in via these forums and by studying the MegaCrop website, I have become convinced that just the basic MC, even version 2, is not quite everything that we "want" for our hungry weeds. For normal plants and for those not wishing to push the limits, yes, MC has everything they need from start to finish, but we are dealing with a fruiting weed... an extraordinarily needy plant.
After realizing this and seeing the results of others pushing the limits with the MC line of products, I will also be using the recommended supplements along with my MC. Please note that these products are much more than simple nutes since they include everything from microbes to multivitamins and in just these few supplements we appear to add everything the plants could possibly need. At the moment I am assuming that I will not need the calmag product because it has supposed to have been added into the version 2 MC, so I have ordered the following 3 products to start adding as recommended:
  • Sea-K Kelp Extract 0-0-15 - Nutrient and plant enhancer and growth stimulant causes vigorous growth of plant and stem. Includes more than 70 minerals, growth hormones, cytokinin, auxins, vitamins, and enzymes.
  • Sweet Candy carbo, concentrating on the soil grower, this is a soil and plant enhancer, a premium, full flavor, aroma and yield enhancer … and carbohydrate source all in one! Promotes bolder terpenes, scent, root zone health, beneficial bacteria and vibrant plants. Contains several different types of carbo sources, 20 amino acids, 70+ vitamins and minerals, isoflavonoids, anthocyanins, polyphenols, tannins and isoterpenes for superior aroma, potency and heavy yields. Sweet Candy also enhances the root zone for optimal beneficial bacteria and fungi growth to help benefit and protect your plants.
  • 0-23-44 Bud Explosion PK Booster a blooming/flowering enhancer at later stages of flowering/budding.

Just curious, but isn't that an awful lot of potassium without additional nitrogen?

Using the Greenleaf's supplements on top of Mega has not gone so well for several other growers. Check with @MrSauga and @Dutchman1990 .
I like to think that I am not the typical grower, but of course time will tell how I do with this because I too have seen some of the trainwrecks that have resulted in trying to push the MC grows too hard, and many of those having troubles were not novices either. I have been following those guys and others very closely in the MegaCrop thread, and will be carefully using the supplements calculator at the MC site so hopefully I don't overdo things. @MrSauga has been doing exactly what I plan on doing I think, carefully watching his NPK numbers, and his results have been outstanding! It was actually the picture of his final bud after using the SC that intrigued me enough to go down this road instead of using just plain MC.

@MrSauga is also using version 1 of Mega Crop, before they started to include some if the supplements in the base product, therefore creating version 2.

@MrSauga is also using version 1 of Mega Crop, before they started to include some if the supplements in the base product, therefore creating version 2.
From what I understand, the only supplement that they added to the mix and eliminated the need for in version 2 is the calmag and the only change in version 3 is that they then ground up the calmag that was added. The other supplements are still available as needed for extraordinarily hungry plants such as ours.

From what I understand, the only supplement that they added to the mix and eliminated the need for in version 2 is the calmag and the only change in version 3 is that they then ground up the calmag that was added. The other supplements are still available as needed for extraordinarily hungry plants such as ours.

It was more than just Cal-Mag.

images.jpeg

Grinding the product is something they are trying now. That hasn't made it market yet.

Can you confirm if they have changed the supplements calculator to reflect the changes now in version 2?

I cannot. There are things about their website that are a mess. You'll find about 3 different N-P-K ratios strewn about it for the same product (Mega). So I don't hold a lot of hope that everything has been updated. Whether the calculator has been or not, who knows.

They also say that you don’t need their supplements beyond mc. I have noticed a lack of cal mag in mine and I’m not sure which version I even have. Foes it say on the bag?

You kind of have to compare the guaranteed analysis part of the label. I'd say most are using V2 at this point. You have to go back to about October 2018 purchase date to find V1. V2.5 was only a very minor tweak and for most purposes can be considered the same as V2. If you've bought in the last month or two you may have 2.5.

Back
Top Bottom