Emmie's Vegan Fertilizer, Pineapple Chunk 2020 Celebration: Experimental Soil Grow

Welcome to the newcomers to the thread and thank you so much for the support and the kind words regarding my journaling style. I think the reason this works is because I am constantly trying to learn something new myself, and these journals are my notes to my future self as to what worked and what didn't. We have come a long ways together in this last decade of writing about cannabis, and my friends, we are just getting started!

Bloom, Day 8

Today was watering day and the plants got a repeat of the time before regarding the MC, BE, SC, and SK. The plants were wilting a bit from lack of water for these pictures, but I am sure that by mid day (their time) all will be as perky as before. The stretch is still happening and all plants are seeking the top of the canopy. Again, looking only at the color of the plants, which have lightened a bit since the last watering, I would guess that they could have handled 6g/g of MC this time... but we will save that for the next watering. I can see that once the rapid growth of stretch is over and the N requirements for all this new growth go down, we should be stabilizing the MC at some level and not needing to continually increase its dosage, and it seems very significant that this point we are reaching just happens to be the max recommended dosage of MC during bloom. It is my belief that these folks at GLN really know what they are doing.

Speaking of the canopy, these tomato cages are what I have been looking for since I started growing in a tent. The natural progression of larger hoops near the top allows for the plants to get all of the support they need to hold up the canopy, but because the top hoop is the largest, it also allows the buds at the top to naturally spread out and open up the center for light and more airflow. Over the next several days I will be removing some of the middle fan leaves so as to open up that center even more to allow the light to get as deep into the cage as possible.

At the moment, the top bud on Bertha is 12" away from the light and she is getting 46k LUX. The next level of buds are at 16" and the smallest plant, Piza is at 18" away from the light. Measuring deep into the canopy to where the budsites have stopped developing, we are 30" away from the light. My goal is to get some useful PAR down into this area with correct placement of the lights. We shall see how well this works and this may be my last flowering experiment with COB for a while, since I now have a huge NextLIght Mega heading my way. Life, and the experiments go on.

DSCF7730.JPG

still wowing it em.

used grow cages for years when i grew larger stuff. just make sure not to bottle them up. train side branching through the lowers, then up. it's easy really.

spent near a decade ( most of the 90's ) thinking training meant the cages.
never dawned there were other methods lol.... :p

Welcome to the Emilya fan club Doc , t-shirts are $5 and lapel badges $7. All proceeds to The old folks home of Ganjagrandaddy. heehee

I love it!

I'll take 10 t-shirts and 10 lapel badges!

When are the golf caps and golf umbrellas coming out?

Do I get my free Emilya watering pail with my first order? ;)

I'll be sure to pop by your journal soon to say hello.

Welcome to the newcomers to the thread and thank you so much for the support and the kind words regarding my journaling style. I think the reason this works is because I am constantly trying to learn something new myself, and these journals are my notes to my future self as to what worked and what didn't. We have come a long ways together in this last decade of writing about cannabis, and my friends, we are just getting started!

Bloom, Day 8

Today was watering day and the plants got a repeat of the time before regarding the MC, BE, SC, and SK. The plants were wilting a bit from lack of water for these pictures, but I am sure that by mid day (their time) all will be as perky as before. The stretch is still happening and all plants are seeking the top of the canopy. Again, looking only at the color of the plants, which have lightened a bit since the last watering, I would guess that they could have handled 6g/g of MC this time... but we will save that for the next watering. I can see that once the rapid growth of stretch is over and the N requirements for all this new growth go down, we should be stabilizing the MC at some level and not needing to continually increase its dosage, and it seems very significant that this point we are reaching just happens to be the max recommended dosage of MC during bloom. It is my belief that these folks at GLN really know what they are doing.

Speaking of the canopy, these tomato cages are what I have been looking for since I started growing in a tent. The natural progression of larger hoops near the top allows for the plants to get all of the support they need to hold up the canopy, but because the top hoop is the largest, it also allows the buds at the top to naturally spread out and open up the center for light and more airflow. Over the next several days I will be removing some of the middle fan leaves so as to open up that center even more to allow the light to get as deep into the cage as possible.

At the moment, the top bud on Bertha is 12" away from the light and she is getting 46k LUX. The next level of buds are at 16" and the smallest plant, Piza is at 18" away from the light. Measuring deep into the canopy to where the budsites have stopped developing, we are 30" away from the light. My goal is to get some useful PAR down into this area with correct placement of the lights. We shall see how well this works and this may be my last flowering experiment with COB for a while, since I now have a huge NextLIght Mega heading my way. Life, and the experiments go on.

DSCF7730.JPG

Looking great as always!

I was chatting yesterday and I was trying to figure out light height from the canopy top.

Aside from LUX and heat, is the general rule 12" to 18" ?

Looking great as always!

I was chatting yesterday and I was trying to figure out light height from the canopy top.

Aside from LUX and heat, is the general rule 12" to 18" ?
Heat really isn't an issue with these lights... it is all about the light intensity. At 12" I can easily exceed the recommended limits and totally fry my top buds. Its really ugly when that happens because they just bleach out and die.

Here is the chart I am going by that I computed by measuring the output of my lights:
cob lux_wattage.png

The top line, showing 12" away shows just how easily it would be to fry my plants with this light. The numbers have turned out to be not quite as high as seen on the chart per given wattage because I was measuring this light as it hit a flat semi-reflective table, but the colored sections show the ranges I am shooting for. So it really isnt anything to do with the number of 12 and 18 being more important than the others, they were just points that I measured. Note that if you drew a line between the 12" and the 18" lines, that would be 15", the point that I am going to shoot for as my hot spot.
My next chart that I do will be computed with the lights shining down onto a flat black table and will be a bit more accurate. For this grow I am going to get down to around 15" on the top buds because the curve starts flattening out at that distance, and there will be less of a drop off as we descend down to the 30" mark. On this chart, I would set the wattage to around 175w per side, putting the LUX up in the red range for the buds up at the top. This chart then says that at 18" I am still going to get 43k LUX and at 30" still 27k LUX. I am hoping that in a closed reflective tent, the distribution between the curves is not so great as this chart indicates and that I will get a little better penetration, but that is for another experiment to prove.

I love it!

I'll take 10 t-shirts and 10 lapel badges!

When are the golf caps and golf umbrellas coming out?

Do I get my free Emilya watering pail with my first order? ;)

I'll be sure to pop by your journal soon to say hello.
Heehee. We are waiting on a recent pic from Emilya for the golf umbrellas and sadly the caps have been sold out for months. Easier to get megacrop than one of those caps now.
Always a welcome on the diary Doc. I keep warm seats and stoked bongs for any visiting growers. Peace and blessing Buddy

Bloom, Day 9

Just a quick shot from the garden cam early this morning... and as promised, all is well. No plants have been harmed by the nutrients and MegaCrop and Vulx are doing a great job to supercharge these plants. Are these plants getting merely the nutrients they need to survive, or are they thriving because they have absolutely everything they can handle, plus a little extra if they want it? I think the answer is obvious. If you are going to nute, NUTE! Grow like you mean it!
Have a great Thursday everyone!
2CAA8E7CDC94_1578568108561.png

I failed to mention this morning that upon measuring I found that the plants had gained another 2 inches in the last day! I am now 10" away from the lights with two of the top buds, and the smart things have tried to grow up between the COBS where the intensity is not so bright. Ten inches away is way too close, but I have to do some reengineering on my light hangers to allow for more vertical space. That work as well as some of the middle of the cage defoliation will happen over the next 2 days while we are snowed in here in the KC area for at least the next 2 days.

Hello Emilya, speaking of your COBS I was wondering if you added the 5000k? I know you where talking about it in your last journal. If you have can you tell a significant difference?
I have not yet, but as this light fixture in the future is going to dedicate itself to a veg tent, I will be adding 2 more COB's (5000k) so that I can get the spectrum closer to the veg enhancing side of things before I start my next run, probably around April

It keeps getting more exciting here every time I check in Em! Look at how happy they are in the last pic! At 2 inches a day growth to boot. Yikes!
Yikes indeed! They have my permission to stop the stretch at any time and I figure they are nearly done. My reasoning on this is that we normally expect the stretch to be in the first 2 weeks of bloom, and we normally expect the plants to approximately double in height.
They have definitely almost doubled in height since I first put the tomato cages on them, and I don't count bloom days from the moment of the flip like so many do, so technically if I counted the way most people do this, we would add the 7 days of my transition to the stretch, making it around day 16 of bloom using bro science thinking...

We shall see. I changed the hanging system a few minutes ago and raised the lights up to 15" above the tallest buds to even out the light distribution across the canopy and I cranked the lights up to the max. We are now running just short of 500w of power and producing around 55,000 LUX or 800 PAR at the top of the canopy.

I also snipped out approximately 20 fan leaves from the center of two of the cages, greatly clearing out the center for more air and light penetration. I will check the reaction to this tomorrow, and then will attack the third plant in the same way.

Bloom, Day 10
A little bit of adjustment was in order for today in the tent. Adjusting the lights out to 15" away from the top buds was not producing the PAR I desire, so I moved them down another 3" to where they are 15" away from the bulk of the canopy, but the two big top buds are going to have to settle for being at 13 inches away.
DSCF7736.JPG

As pondered upon yesterday, it seems today that stretch has stopped. At least the tremendous leaps of an inch or two a day, didn't happen today and I would say that all of the plants are nearly at the same height as compared to the measurement yesterday. So the LUX is now around 57K LUX / 850 PAR average, at the maximum output of these lights. If indeed the stretch is over, I will try to lower the lights at least another inch or two, and try to reduce the wattage a little bit. Presently the plants are between 36-40" tall.

The cleaning out of the centers seems to have produced some extra vigor in the two that got it, and I will get to the one in the back of the room tomorrow after the snow has arrived here in Missouri... today I just ran out of time trying to prep for the storm.
DSCF7732.JPG
DSCF7731.JPG

This may be only my first grow with MegaCrop and Vulx, but I can see a huge difference in my grow because of the two of them. I don't know which or both or neither is causing the amazing growth in my tent this run, for it could be all due to the lucky rabbit's foot my sister gave me for Christmas. The world may never know. Most growers never have any idea what made or broke their grows over the years, trying one thing after another, never having consistency in their methods. So whatever it is... the Vulx, my dead supersoil, the MC or any of its additives or that rabbit's foot, something is working and the plants do not seem to be harmed in the least by adding the recommended amounts of GLN recommended supplements. Note I said recommended... the only product they don't include in the feeding calculator is their calmag, and they warn to only use it as needed and advised before the last version came out that they added more calmag to the base mix.
So to all those arguing about this or that way to use MegaCrop... bless you one and all for all of your hard work trying to use it in various growing methods and media. This grow is all about what happens in soil... real actual soil, you know, the stuff MC was designed for. I may not have experience in using MC, but I have long experience with these plants and am no stranger to nutrients in general. What I am seeing in this garden today is extraordinary and is beyond anything I have ever seen. So yes, the Megacrop works, and by the example I am setting, the supplements work well too. I have even heard people say you can't use this stuff in small containers... but the hempy folks and my 5 gallon containers beg to differ. Disparage, attempt to shame and ridicule and make fun all you want... these three plants will not be ignored and despite all the nonsense you hear elsewhere, they love the Bud Explosion and the Sea Kelp and the Sweet sweet Candy... and they don't care that I am not adjusting pH or in any other way worrying about my tap water. This stuff works as advertised in soil... if you are running hydro, maybe different rules apply. I am now at 20% through the bloom phase and already considering this Megacrop experiment to be a tremendous success.

I was told that I have troubles with being humble. It is true... humbleness is not a disability that I possess. If you want a stellar grow like I have here, get Vulx and get the Megacrop line and use it in any soil. At this point in my long growing career, I have no better advice that I can give to anyone... if you want an easy, reproducibly outstanding grow... do what I am doing here.

And lastly, not at all humbly, I present the shot from the canopy and one of the top buds. So far, I see no signs of frost... maybe next week!

DSCF7733.JPG
DSCF7734.JPG
DSCF7735.JPG

Back
Top Bottom