Emmie's Vegan Fertilizer, Pineapple Chunk 2020 Celebration: Experimental Soil Grow

Ok thanks Emilya...Do you find that color is an accurate gage?
Oh yes, I can tell alot about someone just by feeling their color pattern and looking for holes, and I can tell if they are complete or if like most people they are damaged somehow. Someone who is lying can't keep their color steady.

Oh yes, I can tell alot about someone just by feeling their color pattern and looking for holes, and I can tell if they are complete or if like most people they are damaged somehow. Someone who is lying can't keep their color steady.
Very cool.

I would imagine that being in a room full of people and being stoned on the wrong kind of weed could be overwhelming.

I like to think that it is not me actually causing the ruckus, but that the ruckus is being caused by other people's reactions to the amazing things that I am doing.
They are some VERY impressive ladies.

I would imagine that being in a room full of people and being stoned on the wrong kind of weed could be overwhelming.
you have no idea... I am very picky about my weed, but what affects me more is a room full of the wrong kind of people. I have been known to pull my shirt over my head and have to quickly exit a place, screaming just to try to block out all the input. I also have a mild form of Tourettes that causes me to blurt out impressions I get about people when I am in that state... sometimes it is quite uncanny what I can see, and I do not hold back, and it is usually dark. Like I said... I have been known to be slightly weird, occasionally.
I tried mushrooms a couple of times and flat out could not handle it. That stuff sends my brain into an overdrive that I can't function in. I will never again go there.

you have no idea... I am very picky about my weed, but what affects me more is a room full of the wrong kind of people. I have been known to pull my shirt over my head and have to quickly exit a place, screaming just to try to block out all the input. I also have a mild form of Tourettes that causes me to blurt out impressions I get about people when I am in that state... sometimes it is quite uncanny what I can see, and I do not hold back, and it is usually dark. Like I said... I have been known to be slightly weird, occasionally.
I tried mushrooms a couple of times and flat out could not handle it. That stuff sends my brain into an overdrive that I can't function in. I will never again go there.
I have a friend with Tourette’s. More of a facial twitch thing, not sure how to describe it. It’s not really noticeable or anything obvious...lol shrooms are a whole different ball game.

Happy Valentine's Day Everyone! :love::love::love:
Final Bloom, Day 46 of 55

We are definitely in the home stretch. I have spotted amber not too far down from the top, but they are not done yet... there is still a little bit of pinwheeling going on at the very top as it makes one last ditch effort to flower... so the lights went down a bit more, and 5 more minutes was removed from each end of their day.

2020-02-14-094118.jpg

The trichomes are wonderfully developed already and they just keep packing on more. Some of the buds are now glistening in the light. Today I want to center in on that micro world a bit and show you what is happening to these buds, but first we will address the problem.

Yes, today is an even numbered calendar day and it is time to water, and before that happens it is time for an overall evaluation as to where we are at. So we recently raised the MC back up to 5g and clearly today we see that the good healthy color has returned to all of the plant, and of course the buds continue to develop rapidly enough to be able to clearly see a daily difference. Raising the MC introduced a new, but familiar problem however.

DSCF7931.JPG
DSCF7930.JPG

First, we must realize that the plant is starting to reduce its need for large amounts of nutrients here at the end, so there is that. And we have to realize that the SC and BE are both bringing in large amounts of P and K in addition to that which comes in with the extra MC and we recently ramped that up to a steady 1g each for several waterings now. Suddenly, for the second time, we now see Phosphorus starting to back up. Note this odd leaf damage, in the middle of the leaf's finger. This is up top, while a similar twisted finger down below is showing another odd mid leaf problem.

So our first pull back of the nutes here at the end is going to be to eliminate the SC and BE. They have served their purpose. Continuing them at this point would harm the finish. Today the girls have been served a straight diet of 5g MC, only. I am watching one bud that seemed to get dark green again, and if that continues, on the next watering they will get less MC again too. Here we are at the end, still pushing the limits as far as they will go, and to do that we can't take our eyes off of the plants... every watering becomes a decision point. The result is the beautiful buds you are going to see down below.

DSCF7937.JPG

So far, so good... aside from a bit of the expected damage to some of the leaves, the buds are looking fabulous. I am really looking forward to smoking some of this pot.

DSCF7934.JPG
DSCF7932.jpg
DSCF7934.jpg
DSCF7935.jpg
DSCF7936.jpg
DSCF7933.jpg

You mentioned you have been reducing your lights on, first 15 mins each side, then 5 mins more each side. This is minmick the fall days? Does additional dark periods help during last couple weeks?

Edit: also you have mentioned you have decrease light intensity, i was under the impression last 2 weeks call for same or more intensity of light as the buds swell

You mentioned you have been reducing your lights on, first 15 mins each side, then 5 mins more each side. This is minmick the fall days? Does additional dark periods help during last couple weeks?

Edit: also you have mentioned you have decrease light intensity, i was under the impression last 2 weeks call for same or more intensity of light as the buds swell
Yes, exactly right 780, whittling down the amount of daylight, both in timing and intensity are signals to the plant that the end of the season is coming, by imitating what the sun outside does. It is an old commercial grower's trick to raise the lights at the end to induce a quick finish. I am doing the same thing by reducing the wattage instead of physically raising the lights and all indications are that these practices work to produce the desired result. Keep in mind that I have not reduced the lights a whole lot, maybe 10-15%, so there is still plenty of light there to do what needs to be done... but the plants know. Fall is coming and it is time to get on with things.

Yes, exactly right 780, whittling down the amount of daylight, both in timing and intensity are signals to the plant that the end of the season is coming, by imitating what the sun outside does. It is an old commercial grower's trick to raise the lights at the end to induce a quick finish. I am doing the same thing by reducing the wattage instead of physically raising the lights and all indications are that these practices work to produce the desired result. Keep in mind that I have not reduced the lights a whole lot, maybe 10-15%, so there is still plenty of light there to do what needs to be done... but the plants know. Fall is coming and it is time to get on with things.

My light allows for intensity adjustment but i dont have a watt meter yet so ill have to raise it up. They are current sitting 24" from tops at around 40k lumens. How high do you think they should lifted to? Roughly

Hi Emilya good news looks like things are starting to turn around for the troubled plant I was dealing with. The new growth is coming in normal on the motted leaves after only one watering cycle. But I guess you knew that was going to happen. Thanks for reaching out to me :thumb:
That is wonderful news @oldsmokey ! And yeah, I sort of suspected it would. :thumb::goodjob:

Originally I was exclusively FFOF and I ran for several years using their system and one day I got tired of throwing away soil after several runs and I decided to go organic, first starting with building one of the original versions of supersoil, Subcool's. It also called for coco as one of the components, but after working with FFOF for so long I wanted to lighten it up a bit, and I created a 50/50 mix of FFOF and Roots Organic 101 for my base. Part of this mix after mineralization became my supersoil, and the rest remained as my base soil for the top 2/3 of my containers.
After 5 or 6 years of running these soils, the two batches began to merge together, even as best I tried not to, and coming out of my last run as a TLO I declared the soil the winner of this game, merged them all together and have as a result the soil that I am using today... about a 50/50 mix of base soil and 7 year old supersoil, re-amended multiple times. Having lost control of the supersoil was one of my primary reasons for seriously considering leaving organics for a while and checking out MegaCrop.

So I see how you got to where you are at on your soil. With the knowledge you've obtained from this MC grow, what would you recommend, if you were starting from a clean slate?

I'm considering HP Pro mix with Vlux, and was wondering if you thought this was adequate by itself, or if it was lacking something.

Oh I'm loving your pictures. Can you include a soda can or something so I can use it as a reference for scale. My tired old eyes can't tell if those colas are the size of my thumb, or more likely, the size of a telephone pole. :)

So I see how you got to where you are at on your soil. With the knowledge you've obtained from this MC grow, what would you recommend, if you were starting from a clean slate?

I'm considering HP Pro mix with Vlux, and was wondering if you thought this was adequate by itself, or if it was lacking something.

Oh I'm loving your pictures. Can you include a soda can or something so I can use it as a reference for scale. My tired old eyes can't tell if those colas are the size of my thumb, or more likely, the size of a telephone pole. :)
Hi Rad... If I were starting fresh I think I would lean toward the soil side simply because peat based mediums do break down over time and go acidic. I also am very happy with the way Vulx works in soil and I have learned to use the water retention and flow through rates in soil to get to the every other day watering method that I enjoy, so if I were start again I would probably pick up another bag of FFOF and amend it with some more perlite and Vulx. That is just me though, and I don't think there is anything wrong with going the HP route.

Thanks on the pictures and yes, I will add in a point of reference in a few of the upcoming pictures and will refrain from bragging in the future that they are the size of a small ski boat. I do think that the big bud that I have been featuring in the tall pictures is about a foot long, but it is indeed time to confirm that.

If you go with ProMix HP - use Vulx at 75g/gallon. The farm I work with using ProMix (Contender Gardens) adds an extra 20% perlite to his pots. He's got nothing but good things to say about Vulx and lets me tag him on my Insta posts and use him as a reference for other commercial guys - so I'm pretty sure you'll be happy.

But I'm no salesmen, that decision is yours :)

Edit: If you go with FFOF I will say that a Los Angeles based nursery uses Vulx on his mothers grown in FFOF at 85g/gallon (75g/gallon will do fine, however, as memory serves it weighs about 3.1 lbs/gallon) and he is also happy.

Feel free to contact me any time. Using the messaging feature on the forum or Instagram messaging are the best ways to get a quick reply.

I read some rather catty comments yesterday about how good it was to stand up to me and do it your own way. That made me laugh. Isn't doing it my way the whole idea of this thread with the word experimental in its title? Duh.

So I did it my way. I learned some new things by not following the popular crowd, and I dare say that I am the only one now with the proper experience to be able to explain how to handle the way too strong for prime time supplements that GLN has produced for us. No one else took you down this road and documented what happened when you used this stuff and purposely pushed the limits, the others just warned not to use them, and gave charts and numbers and opinions on why not. Follow us they said... increase that MC 1/2 gram with every other watering... all the cool kids are doing it. I see people getting in trouble every day by using too much MC.

I first pulled back on the reins... told everyone why the lockouts were occurring. I got lambasted and shunned for my efforts. Never a good deed, and all that. Don't ever talk about the Emperor's clothes. But now, others are realizing that I was right all along. Many are now also calling for less. We have done good work in this garden and we have changed some opinions. We have vaporized some BS and have challenged others to back up their hateful words. Through our pushing the limits here, others have learned. Together, even though some of you want to criticize my efforts and don't want me on your threads criticizing you, we are learning.

So what have we learned?

• MC is very strong. Go at it slowly and be very wary if you think you are near the upper limit in either veg or bloom, you most likely are overloading your plants if you are.
  • There is a strong 2-3 day delay between watering and seeing the effect of that watering.
  • This is not a plug and play, follow a spreadsheet, and all will be perfect nutrient system. You have to adjust to the plants with each watering.
  • Normal signs of deficiencies are oftentimes lockouts when using MC and must be quickly responded to
  • Adjusting for the color is critical, and how MC was designed to be used.
  • Sea-K can be used to great benefit in Veg at its recommended dosage but must be stopped on the flip
  • Sweet Candy and Bud Explosion must not be given before stretch, or there will be problems.
  • Supplements should be discontinued at the end of the grow and MC dialed down, always adjusting to the green
  • When giving SC and BE, give at most 1/2 recommended amounts... it seems to be too strong for ver 2 and above
  • Too much MC can present as magnesium, iron, and potassium deficiencies, and burned tips
  • Too little MC can present as magnesium, iron, calcium and potassium deficiencies

My general conclusion is that in keeping with the original advice that I got when starting MC, it is all in there. If you go at it slowly with the 2-3 day delay in mind, very carefully ramping up the dosage rate by adjusting to the green, this should be a fairly easy to use system. If you are one to push the limits, be very careful and expect problems and be ready to readjust what you are doing with each watering.

Nice breakdown Em! I was personally hesitant to use the BE in my last round because of all the issues people were talking about. But after discussing it further with another long term MC user and getting his feed ratios/charts I was able to see the results from this product(s) success!

Yes MC is powerful as are all of the additives so I’m glad you were able to find your sweet spots. I’ll be continuing my feeding plan with how I did it last round and continue to try and dial it in perfectly for the grow!
Hope your well

Back
Top Bottom