Emmie's Vegan Fertilizer, Pineapple Chunk 2020 Celebration: Experimental Soil Grow

Veg, Day 4
The 3 new Chunkettes are growing like crazy, with a special note to all. I hear all the time the warnings against starting seeds in "hot" soil. Well folks, please take note of this crazy growth in my supersoil mix with Vulx. This soil right out of the compost bin is about as hot as it gets. You see the results. FFOF is nothing compared to this soil. So far, no flames have erupted from the leaves.
But, you all know me... crazy as a bedbug she is, I hear the rumors. So not to be a disappointment to anyone, I gave my little seedlings a drink tonight because we are still many days away from them draining the 1 gallon pots. That drink was full of MegaCrop! If there ever was a chance to over fertilize... I just did it. Yep, crazy... I know. We will wait and see what happens.

DSCF7406.JPG
DSCF7405.JPG
DSCF7404.JPG

Veg, Day 5
DSCF7423.JPG
DSCF7422.JPG
DSCF7420.JPG

At this rate you should be harvesting sometime next week!
Considering what I have just seen, I would have to give them two weeks at least. The verdict is in... the MC in addition to whatever goodness is in my soil, did NOT burn. Not only are there no signs of complaint in drooping cotyledons, clawing, contortions or discoloration, but we had a growth spurt in this last 24 hours! Color (or Colour for some of you) me impressed! The containers are drying fast and if I were a knuckle waterer I would already be starting to think I might be able to water... these plants are already working hard, but we are still at least a day or three away from a full watering.

I am fully bats in the belfry insane at this point, and thinking about applying a small amount of MC just around the edges tonight... to ensure that those are the wettest and most nutritious areas in the containers. Please excuse my insanity... I am a serial root teaser. I can't help myself. It is what I do.
:morenutes:

Veg, Day 6
Today we see an astounding sight... These plants have mostly drained the containers already. They are seedlings, so I gave them a bit of a break in the lift test, but then I noticed how big they had gotten overnight. The watering on the edges last night, just enough to get their attention, was all it took for them to dramatically stretch that direction. The big first true leaves literally reached halfway across the distance to the sides, showing me what is going on beneath the surface... the roots are chasing that water. :surf:
DSCF7440.JPG

Following the (water them out to 3x their diameter) rule, it was clearly time to completely water the entire containers. Throwing all abandon to the winds, I watered them to runoff, with my 2g/gal MC seedling mix. They took an extraordinary amount of water too... much more than I would have thought so early. I have used roughly half of my premixed MC on this watering, and when I run out, I am going to up the dosage by 1 gram... that is how crazy I have become.
:Rasta:
I also want to mention what a pleasure it is to water these 1 gallon velcro strip equipped GeoPots. I love the thick fold at the top that helps to keep the soil intact around the edges and minimize flowthrough on the sides. The cloth is just thick enough all around to be noticeably better at doing it's job than some of the competing brands I have used in the past. Good job folks, and I will be exclusively using GeoPots in my grows from now on.
:thumb:
Here are the three Pineapple Chunkettes... growing like gangbusters!
DSCF7439.JPG
DSCF7438.JPG
DSCF7437.JPG

:peace::love:

Out of curiosity did you Vulx them all up or is there a control in there somewhere?
I have been so impressed in the bloom tent with the plant that was only put into Vulx going into the final container, that I had no reservations at all in "Vulxing them all up" right from the start. I am sure that Vulx is a contributing factor to this rapid growth right out of the gate... that slick Vulxed up soil allows the roots to expand with less resistance and it puts them in closer contact with the soil and the nutrients. I asked myself before the grow, "why would I need a control when I know what is going to happen? Why not give all my plants this advantage?"
I ended up listening to my good council, and I think that even without a control, we can see that lots of good things are happening in this tent. I have been sold on Vulx... it is great new science that has made soil better. I am all in.
:thumb:

Veg, Day 7
It has been a long time since I used nutrients this early in the grow. I have preached for years that it is not necessary to use nutes in early to mid veg if you water correctly, uppot successively and start out with a good soil. While that is true, I forgot about the ability to take advantage of a thriving plant by giving it a supercharge of nutes, and since my goal in my growing methods has been to make my grows as simple and as economical and reproducible as possible, I totally forgot what happens when you push plants this early.
MegaCrop came along and changed everything. If these were normal nutes I would be burning these plants up, badly. It is easy to burn these plants by giving them a hot soil to start in and then fertilizing them on top of that, and if it was going to happen here it would have happened by now. There are no signs of distress in these plants at all, and in the last 24 hours they have all grown again significantly. The plants are using the MegaCrop as needed and surely there is enough in there now for much bigger plants... but this new technology only unlocks as much of the nute as the plant can handle. Think about that for a sec.... We now have a tool that allows us to take the plants right up to the edge... and then they regulate themselves! Wow. Game Changer.

There was nothing to do today but rotate the plants one click in relation to the light and lift them up to gauge water use. They are not as heavy as they were last night, but the soil is still quite moist even at the top... I am guessing a 4 day cycle at this point although they may indeed surprise me, so I will continue lifting them each day. They should be lightening significantly every day and if so, I see no need to do any more 2 stage watering. If they end up going more than 3 days before going dry, I will water the top lightly, concentrating on the edges.

DSCF7443.JPG
DSCF7442.JPG
DSCF7441.JPG

Wow! You're breaking your rules, now I'm confused?! LoL Seriously great growth. I'm starting my next grow next week, I'll still be using the Mega Crop with the FFOF and perlite like we discussed previously. My 1gal bags arrives today. I've never heard of Vulx, I'll have to do some reading up on it. The extra watering and nutes so early is contradictory to everything I've learned so far, back to school I guess. I've learned to not question and just follow the Cannabis Sherpa!

Veg, Day 8
I just can't believe what I am seeing. These are some seriously happy plants. At this rate I will be topping in a week!

The containers are still way too heavy to consider a full watering for a while... looking like a 5 day cycle right now. I will plan on a light top watering, mostly on the edges, tomorrow.
DSCF7446.JPG
DSCF7445.JPG
DSCF7444.JPG

Veg, Day 8
I just can't believe what I am seeing. These are some seriously happy plants. At this rate I will be topping in a week!

The containers are still way too heavy to consider a full watering for a while... looking like a 5 day cycle right now. I will plan on a light top watering, mostly on the edges, tomorrow.
DSCF7446.JPG
DSCF7445.JPG
DSCF7444.JPG
Looking good em

Veg, Day 8

DSCF7446.JPG
DSCF7445.JPG
DSCF7444.JPG

You're just a big tease (of roots) Emilya. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Veg, Day 9
Oh no... my plants are all praying... that must indicate stress! Isn't that the most ridiculous thing ever? Look at these happy plants:
DSCF7450.JPG

The containers are still heavy, so no need to water to runoff yet, but I will not neglect the top spreader roots nor the need to make the roots chase the water towards the outside edges. I watered with my 2g MC water with a tiny bit, about 1/4 cup, just along the outside edges. The GeoPots did a fine job and not a drop tried to escape. The outside edges are now the wettest (and most nutritious) regions in the containers.

DSCF7451.JPG

IF they had little faces, they'd be smiling...

Back
Top Bottom