Emmie's Vegan Fertilizer, Pineapple Chunk 2020 Celebration: Experimental Soil Grow

Hey there Emmie! Happy thanksgiving, best wishes to you and yours.

I always love that, how the second node down explodes, but quite often the first node picks it up right at the right time and they stay exactly the same height. Ahhh good old browning tips. The classic sign to take it easy. They really do communicate with is if we listen.
Hiya Chef and thank you! I hope you are all having a good one too!

Nice job Emilya! Those plants are taking off and looking beautiful!
Looking forward to your training and seeing what you can do with them!
Thank you Dutch! The training has started because this evening as their lights came on I noted that on the two plants that have been topped, one side of node 2 has achieved canopy height and needs to be topped. The fight for dominance continues, and to encourage its growth, the plants have been rotated so the other side of node 2 is facing the highest PAR region, the center of the table. The question now is how many nodes are we going to have working by the time we see the first pistil? This is astounding.

DSCF7568.JPG
DSCF7566.JPG

The new fan is managing the amazing amount of moisture being moved by these plants and the plants are getting much stronger in the constant oscillating breeze.
DSCF7569.JPG

Already the trunk sizes are phenomenal, clearly showing how wide the pathway for water uptake has become in these Vulx'ed up plants. This variety is built for low strength too; just look at the huge bulbs of cambium that are building up around the axels of nodes 2 and 3, already preparing to be able to hold a lot of weight.
DSCF7567.JPG

The new fan is managing the amazing amount of moisture being moved by these plants and the plants are getting much stronger in the constant oscillating breeze.

That one of those vivosun clip-on fans? Almost pulled the trigger on those, but went with USB powered ones instead. They're good, but have to be clipped horizontally.

That one of those vivosun clip-on fans? Almost pulled the trigger on those, but went with USB powered ones instead. They're good, but have to be clipped horizontally.
yep... I have several now... they seem to be holding up pretty well, but you have to be careful putting them in the corners where a tent bows in dramatically because of negative pressure... it is easy to bind these up if you don't carefully place them. I took one apart to look at its components and was impressed by the high quality motor and transformer. Hopefully they will last for a few grows.

yep... I have several now... they seem to be holding up pretty well, but you have to be careful putting them in the corners where a tent bows in dramatically because of negative pressure... it is easy to bind these up if you don't carefully place them. I took one apart to look at its components and was impressed by the high quality motor and transformer. Hopefully they will last for a few grows.

Cool. The way mine are made, the clip part is held on with a nut and bolt. Thinking I can grab wing nuts and maybe a longer bolt (they're small bolts, not some big monster thing) and just bolt it on to another type of clip, clamp, or something. Maybe could use a corner bracket and call it good. While I'm at it, I was going to extend it a little so even when the sides suck in there wouldn't be an issue with the back rubbing on the side of the tent.

They do move a nice amount of air though.

Cool. The way mine are made, the clip part is held on with a nut and bolt. Thinking I can grab wing nuts and maybe a longer bolt (they're small bolts, not some big monster thing) and just bolt it on to another type of clip, clamp, or something. Maybe could use a corner bracket and call it good. While I'm at it, I was going to extend it a little so even when the sides suck in there wouldn't be an issue with the back rubbing on the side of the tent.

They do move a nice amount of air though.

Here's one way to do that... Another Kick at the Fan

Veg, Day 22
All of the plants are back to being happy with me and have stopped with the protestations that we have seen the last couple of days. They will all be moving to the big tent soon and under new lights and we will finish out veg in there while we get used to the 5 gallon grow bags that they will be transplanted into soon. So far no one is showing that they are out of room but that day is coming. Trying to take advantage of Black Friday sales I attempted to purchase some good grow bags, but the ones I wanted were out of stock and shipping rates were incredibly high... seriously guys? $33 to ship 5 bags?? Sorry, but I used my prime membership and got free shipping, albeit with an inferior bag. I am sure we will do just fine.
My shipment of Sea-K and Sweet Candy came today, just in time to mix up another gallon of mix. Undaunted by my last mistake, I reduced the amount of MegaCrop to 3 grams per gallon, and then added the recommended amounts of SK and SC. It makes up a very satisfying dark liquid that I will be fearlessly applying to our fast growing girls as soon as they need it. Right now the lift method informs us that watering day is not today... and probably not tomorrow either.
DSCF7587.JPG

The plants are still getting bigger by the day. The trunk sizes are impressive. All of the complaints of the past are but distant memories, with a few spots on the leaves to show as battle wounds. Overall, the plants look amazingly healthy and vital. I expect another growth spurt in the next several days.
DSCF7590.JPG
DSCF7589.JPG
DSCF7588.JPG

Hi @Emilya ...

I'm enjoying the discussions on MC and supplements.

I'm currently in flower using MC + CalMag Pro ... with some leftover FF bloom nutes (Open Sesame, ...) which are like the GLN Bud Explosion ... and AN Sensizyme once each week ...

I am going to get Sweet Candy for my soil grow ... and Bud Explosion/Sea-k both look good ... so I'll get them for my soil/coco grows ...

I see MC has some Silicon ... so I don't use AN Rhino Skin anymore ...

I'd like to add some humic acids though ... just gotta find a good powder substitute for AN Ancient Earth ...

Anyone know offhand if there is MC thread here yet?

ttyl

Hi @Emilya ...

I'm enjoying the discussions on MC and supplements.

I'm currently in flower using MC + CalMag Pro ... with some leftover FF bloom nutes (Open Sesame, ...) which are like the GLN Bud Explosion ... and AN Sensizyme once each week ...

I am going to get Sweet Candy for my soil grow ... and Bud Explosion/Sea-k both look good ... so I'll get them for my soil/coco grows ...

I see MC has some Silicon ... so I don't use AN Rhino Skin anymore ...

I'd like to add some humic acids though ... just gotta find a good powder substitute for AN Ancient Earth ...

Anyone know offhand if there is MC thread here yet?

ttyl

There is this one but I believe it's not "official."

So I'm getting that we'll need more than just MC from beginning to end? We'll need this SeaK and Sweet Candy to complete the grow?

So I'm getting that we'll need more than just MC from beginning to end? We'll need this SeaK and Sweet Candy to complete the grow?
-The jury is still out on this... frankly, with ver. 2 of the MC we don't really know. It seems clear that we don't need any calmag product but there is a lot of good micro nutrient stuff that comes in with the SK and SC that can't be ignored if you are looking for full expression of these plants...
Do we "need" it? I would say no; you can get a perfectly acceptable grow with the basic MC and nothing else if all evidence is true. Many of us are not satisfied with just adequate though, and always want to push the plants a bit harder, accepting the risk for the potential reward.
So I am pushing the limits. In a while I will be adding BE too... that is unless my plants spontaneously combust. I am taking the risk with this grow, so you don't have to. Keep watching this journal to see what happens when you go strictly by the instructions on the website.

Not necessarily. Most of us don't add anything. I need to add a little cal/mag since I grow in coco/perlite under LEDs.

I am running straight MC V2 nothing else with zero problems yet. If you want to keep it simple MC alone is working. There are a few that are “tinkering” but I haven’t seen any thing definitive enough to add anything on top of the MC.

there is an elemental calculator available to determine your nute levels and re-balance if using supplemental additions.
would recommend using it if adding stuff to MC, as plants can self-combust spectacularly otherwise.

Veg, Day 23
This morning finds us with nothing to do other than rotate the plants and take a few pictures. They feel like they will need watering tomorrow, and after one round of nothing but tap water, they are showing signs that they want their nutrition back... the cotyledons, our very first canaries in the gold mine, are starting to be pulled back.
DSCF7607.JPG
DSCF7606.JPG
DSCF7605.JPG

None of the tops reaching the point of dominance have risen to quite the point where they need to be whacked, but the other side of node 2 is very close on two of the plants. Node 3 is also starting to rise up, and they will be the next to contribute to the pile of eviscerations.

DSCF7610.JPG

DSCF7608.JPG

Lastly, a look at how the canopy is widening out, from the top:
DSCF7609.JPG

looks sweet.
back of the nutes a touch em ?
I incremented up too fast next to last watering ago, so I gave only water this last round. Now I am coming back at the original 3g/gal level, plus the recommended levels of SC and SK, to see how they handle it this time.

The seeds are from the UK's SeedSupreme, a gift from @Vulx for running a side by side test of their product. This plant is an interesting cross of an old favorite around here and I am looking forward to seeing how it grows under today's conditions.
bf_pineapple_chunk_1200.jpg

The soil will be some of my old worn out organic soil, now a 50 gallon mix of original super soil and all the base soil I have used for the last 6 years. I have totally lost control of this soil as far as being certain what is in it, and short of a soil test and taking the time to re-amend it, I have chosen to go the fertilizer route on this grow. I have been so impressed with the Vulx amendment that I will be using it in all of my soil from start to finish in this grow.

Those who know me are probably quite taken aback by this apparent backwards move by the woman who said that she would never give up organics, but there is an exciting new product out there that I am totally enthused to try. That product is Mega Crop, a totally new way of looking at fertilizer technology.

From their website:
Vegan fertilizers have several advantages over Organic fertilizers.
  • Not sourced from animals, so no risk of antibiotics, antibiotic resistant bacteria, pharmaceuticals, hormones or pathogens that are associated with animal based fertilizers
  • Far more water soluble and available to the plants, for better absorption, quicker and complete uptake by the plants
  • Lower environmental impact
  • Not supporting the animal agriculture industry
There are several important things going on here, but the key points that I will start this discussion with are that this fertilizer is much smaller molecularly than traditional fertilizers, therefore it is not only more water soluble, but it is much easier for the plant to uptake. Second, this fertilizer is chelated (held together) with an amino acid bond instead of the traditional salt bond. Salt bonds need to be broken apart in the soil, and the salt remains behind as a waste product. Mega Crop waits till it is inside of the plant before it releases the fertilizer, with the leftover waste product being a very usable amino acid. There is NO waste and NO unusable debris.

It is my belief that we are finally seeing agricultural science making a world changing advance with this new science, and I wish to see what it can do in my garden. I will be pushing these plants hard and I expect to see results not typical of even my minimalist organic grows. I have every belief that I will exceed my expectations, having watched others grow with this stuff and get end product that looks every bit as good as my organically grown pot.

So here we go... I am dunking 5 seeds in water tonight.
DSCF7370.JPG
Amazing! I so look forward to hearing your thoughts on this seemingly brilliant advancement. Best of luck. Be well

Back
Top Bottom