Emmie's Vegan Fertilizer, Pineapple Chunk 2020 Celebration: Experimental Soil Grow

I read some rather catty comments yesterday about how good it was to stand up to me and do it your own way. That made me laugh. Isn't doing it my way the whole idea of this thread with the word experimental in its title? Duh.

So I did it my way. I learned some new things by not following the popular crowd, and I dare say that I am the only one now with the proper experience to be able to explain how to handle the way too strong for prime time supplements that GLN has produced for us. No one else took you down this road and documented what happened when you used this stuff and purposely pushed the limits, the others just warned not to use them, and gave charts and numbers and opinions on why not. Follow us they said... increase that MC 1/2 gram with every other watering... all the cool kids are doing it. I see people getting in trouble every day by using too much MC.

I first pulled back on the reins... told everyone why the lockouts were occurring. I got lambasted and shunned for my efforts. Never a good deed, and all that. Don't talk about the Emperor's clothes. But now, others are realizing that I was right all along. Many are now also calling for less. We have done good work in this garden and we have changed some opinions. We have vaporized some BS and have challenged others to back up their hateful words. Through our pushing the limits here, others have learned. Together, even though some of you want to criticize my efforts and don't want me on your threads criticizing you, we are learning.

So what have we learned?

• MC is very strong. Go at it slowly and be very wary if you think you are near the upper limit in either veg or bloom, you most likely are overloading your plants if you are.
  • There is a strong 2-3 day delay between watering and seeing the effect of that watering.
  • This is not a plug and play, follow a spreadsheet, and all will be perfect nutrient system. You have to adjust to the plants with each watering.
  • Normal signs of deficiencies are oftentimes lockouts when using MC and must be quickly responded to
  • Adjusting for the color is critical, and how MC was designed to be used.
  • Sea-K can be used to great benefit in Veg at its recommended dosage but must be stopped on the flip
  • Sweet Candy and Bud Explosion must not be given before stretch, or there will be problems.
  • Supplements should be discontinued at the end of the grow and MC dialed down, always adjusting to the green
  • When giving SC and BE, give at most 1/2 recommended amounts... it seems to be too strong for ver 2 and above
  • Too much MC can present as magnesium, iron, and potassium deficiencies, and burned tips
  • Too little MC can present as magnesium, iron, calcium and potassium deficiencies

My general conclusion is that in keeping with the original advice that I got when starting MC, it is all in there. If you go at it slowly with the 2-3 day delay in mind, very carefully ramping up the dosage rate by adjusting to the green, this should be a fairly easy to use system. If you are one to push the limits, be very careful and expect problems and be ready to readjust what you are doing with each watering.
I don’t understand what all the fuss is about. I’m new and the 1st thing I learned was to watch leaf color. Got N toxicity right off the bat last grow. I don’t know why anyone would increase any fertilizer under those circumstances. Why would MC be that different? Unless you don’t understand how it works.

So you’ve given us a comprehensive list on the stuff to look for at any dosage for anyone using this s__t. So thank you.

What will ya do next? I have a feeling "dial in and repeat ad nauseum" is not your style .
That is a good question. Forgive my answer, for today I am feeling a little hurt seeing the anti-Emilya stuff continuing, and I am going to vent a little. :(
Strain wise, I do want to try MC on a long running sativa so I can try to replicate some of the problems others have had running these special plants on MC and use my experience to solve that mystery. I plan on using Durban Poison for that test.
:morenutes:
I am looking for a house, so I won't get started again until that happens, but when it does my operations today will be dwarfed by what I put into place in the new house, running legally, and I plan on focusing on exotics, since decent enough stuff will be available at the local dispensary.

I plan to journal my adventures with these exotic varieties and I have a couple of more tutorials already in mind, but I think in light of what I have found these last few months I will be scaling back some of my interaction with the forum, maybe even looking into a previous offer to take a staff position here, since it is now obvious that I am never again going to win a popularity contest.
I hadn't realized how much I was resented by some, and although I knew a few of them called me the watering queen (not in a good way), I didn't realize the full extent of the cliquishness that exists in some circles here until I invaded into their MC discussion, instead of keeping well confined in my organic soil niche.
I enjoy what I do here and am happy to be the "bad guy" that has chased off some of the BS over the years, and maybe I am happy just doing what I do, being able to call them as I see them, all the while investigating and teaching what I learn. It depends I suppose, on if I let some hateful words from deep down inside of a bottle one night bother me, or if I decide to solder on... I just don't know yet how strong I am. If this were in the real world and not here in our virtual world, I probably would have been shouted away already.

That is a good question. Forgive my answer, for today I am feeling a little hurt seeing the anti-Emilya stuff continuing, and I am going to vent a little. :(
Strain wise, I do want to try MC on a long running sativa so I can try to replicate some of the problems others have had running these special plants on MC and use my experience to solve that mystery. I plan on using Durban Poison for that test.
I am looking for a house, so I won't get started again until that happens, but when it does my operations today will be dwarfed by what I put into place in the new house, running legally, and I plan on focusing on exotics, since decent enough stuff will be available at the local dispensary.

I plan to journal my adventures with these exotic varieties and I have a couple of more tutorials already in mind, but I think in light of what I have found these last few months I will be scaling back some of my interaction with the forum, maybe even looking into a previous offer to take a staff position here, since it is now obvious that I am never again going to win a popularity contest.
I hadn't realized how much I was resented by some, and although I knew a few of them called me the watering queen (not in a good way), I didn't realize the full extent of the cliquishness that exists in some circles here until I invaded into their MC discussion, instead of keeping well confined in my organic soil niche.
I enjoy what I do here and am happy to be the "bad guy" that has chased off some of the BS over the years, and maybe I am happy just doing what I do, being able to call them as I see them, all the while investigating and teaching what I learn. It depends I suppose, on if I let some hateful words from deep down inside of a bottle one night bother me, or if I decide to solder on... I just don't know yet how strong I am. If this were in the real world and not here in our virtual world, I probably would have been shouted away already.
You do you. Who gives a sh_t what they say. I guarantee that those same a_sh_s giving you sh_t are doing exactly as you tell them. That’s what would bother me...

This is going to go outside of what a company is "supposed to do" or "supposed to say" but hopefully it's obvious by now that I could care less about what a Communications textbook has to say, especially when someone says they're going through a difficulty of some kind or another. As another level of "not supposed to do this," my wife always gets mad at me for trying to say things that are useful instead of just lending an ear, but it's a habit I refuse to break. You never know when the right bit of lip-flapping will make things a little easier for someone.

For what it's worth, the journal has been useful for me - and in more ways than just the fact you used Vulx (which again, I am grateful for you being supportive of it - it means a lot).

It's the nature of the beast to experience this on forums, even ones as well-run as this one. It is neither an indication of the quality of the forum nor commentary on good/bad between you and whomever else. Human beings just... do that, and it is neither good nor bad. I'm guilty of it as well (I am the king and queen of over-the-top political arguments on Facebook, and I don't wear that as a badge of honor).

I haven't really looked at the thread lately, but look, I have imported a brand new product from literally across the world that I know works and introduced it into a market filled TO THE BRIM with junk science and fly-by-night companies. So if anyone can relate to you, that'd be me. That sort of stuff happens to Vulx. All. The. Time.

And so it's coming from that shared experience that I posit: what can we do except whatever makes us happy? The same goes for them. There's a certain cathartic beauty in that odd give and take. But most importantly, I hope that it makes you happy that all of us here on your thread watch, learn, and appreciate what you're doing. AND, I hope that you continue to do it.

I'll end on a little bit of writing that this brought to mind:

"The poetry that comes from the squaring off between
And the circling is worth it
Finding beauty in the dissonance"

Schism by Tool
Thank you everyone. I am just letting the nasty remarks get to me. I think it is because I know how very hard it is for me not to be cynical, sarcastic and dark, and here when I am really trying to be kind and helpful, well it hurts to be publicly scorned for my efforts and told that I am putting out misinformation, especially when they turn right around and start advising the very same things that I have shown them to be true.
Today I am reminded that I do have good friends here who do support me, despite the chattering we hear from the nattering neigh bobs who would rather that I go away and let them hold court without any of my interference. I also realized that if, as they accused, I was doing this only to stroke my own ego, I would in fact flee having forever lost the popularity contest. It is not about that; I am doing what I do and putting up with the public scorn out of love of this hobby, this plant, this amazing place we are allowed to gather in, and of course all of you. This seems like high school all over again, but as it was then, I refuse to let others define who I am or where I am going. My Dad also helped when he reminded me that if they are all talking about me, I must have been effective. Thanks Dad... I needed that!
So here we go, it is Day 46, 9 days from the predicted harvest date and things seem to be right on schedule. The plain MC at 5g was a good call, things are looking vigorous again and none of the problems talked about last time have progressed. Here, as promised, are some reference pictures. Please note that my biggest bud is not in fact a foot long, it is about 10 1/2 inches before the first break between the individual buds... so almost a foot. Close enough. I will be smoking it.

DSCF7945.JPG
DSCF7944.JPG
DSCF7943.JPG
DSCF7942.JPG
DSCF7941.JPG
DSCF7940.JPG
DSCF7939.JPG

Thanks so much for everything you do Emilya! I too was shocked and disappointed when I read a comment one member I love made to another member I love, publicly, about you. It is very high school-like and I'm very proud of and inspired by you. These are very hurtful circumstances. I'm fairly new on 420mag and it has taken me quite a while to see what is going on here but I think the monthly "popularity" contests are partly to blame. They make some people behave in ways they wouldn't otherwise. :love:

Chin up @Emilya.

Keep in mind where those types of comments generally come from: people who run others down to build themselves up. And don’t they hate it when they are shown to be wrong.

Keep doing it your way girl, the pictures of your grow speak for themselves, you don’t get that kind of crop from doing things “wrong”

RC

@Emilya : you go girl! I try to stay out of the fray because that ain't what I'm here for. In your case, however, I need to speak up. It seems to me that your primary goal is to share knowledge. If you come off as a "know-it-all" I think that's in the eyes of the individual reader of your posts.

I suspect that some of your critics are challenged by strong-minded women. I am so glad I'm not one of them, and I appreciate your efforts! :Rasta:

@Emilya , f### 'em. Keep doing what you're doing. You've basically kept my last two grows going. Seriously. And I truly appreciate your help, knowledge and patience with me! You have too many friends and fans here.

The girls, fed 5 tonight 3 tomorrow. 4.25 grm. I don't think I'll go much more this round. The Mazar still looks bad, but I think it's the genetics, it seems to be a weaker plant. Both the SODK and Royal Gorilla× Bluetoof have slowed the color change but the leaves are still curled down. God bless the dark devil and Zamaldelica, if you're looking for a sativa to play with check out Ace's stuff. The thing is putting everything else to shame. Showed the least amount of damage during the lockout period. Just some burnt tips.
All that being said, they are putting on weight and stinking up a storm!

You guys are great, thank you! :love:
Final Bloom, Day 47 of 55
Eight days left till the predicted harvest date based on noting transition time after the flip. I hope it doesn't amaze anyone how accurate that method is by this point. It all comes down to reading the plants.

I have spotted one or two amber's on the sun leaves just below the tips, but from there on up it is nothing but cloudy. There are still plenty of white pistils on top all around the tent with pinwheeling going on both at the tops and in the middle of the buds as they burst outward with more girth. We are still not quite done, although at least 60% of the pistils have changed color or pulled back.

I am loving how responsive the MC system is once one learns how to read it. We apparently correctly diagnosed the reasons for the K, P and Ca responses recently and correctly down scaled the products that would have logically been causing such things to happen. This time, immediately (2 days later) we can see that the plants are perfectly happy again, with normal color and vigor, but most significantly, the leaves showing the damage 2 days ago have again stopped freaking out, and have resumed a normal sun gathering posture, straightened out fingers where they could, and got right back on with things. By quickly jumping on the problem and bringing nutritional values back to where they needed to be, there will be no loss of leaves, no forest fires in the sun leaves and no yellowing or dropping of middle or lower canopy leaves. These plants are going to look great right up to the end, like they are supposed to... and the buds are finishing out VERY strong.
DSCF7949.JPG
DSCF7948.JPG
DSCF7947.JPG
DSCF7946.JPG

Don't believe all the malarkey you hear about the die off or the fade at the end. I know it makes heads explode when I say this, but I would be embarrassed to produce such plants that were dying early because they lacked a nutrient so badly, streaking toward death even before their season ended due to a lack of proper nutrition and I certainly would not show them off as something that I had planned to do on these online forums. Before I learned to read my plants and react quickly and decisively to problems, I also grew plants that suffered like that, trying as best they could to survive after some neglect that I inflicted upon them... but we do learn.

Everything in a grow is cumulative, but if you quickly jump on problems that crop up, nip them in the bud as it were, these problems do not have to affect the quality of the buds at the end, or the overall appearance and health of the plant. This grow is an example of how that is done, by constantly evaluating and adjusting to the plants, and their reactions to what you are doing to them. MC has turned out to be a very responsive and easy to read nutrient system and from what I can see, everything the plants need is in there within a well designed system made to alert you when things get out of balance. I like MC, and although some of my plants in the future will always get that special organic touch, MC is a permanent part of my overall arsenal from now on after seeing here what it can do.

DSCF7958.JPG
DSCF7955.JPG
DSCF7952.JPG
DSCF7951.JPG

Em,
Thank you for posting your grow, and sharing your experience. I've learned a great deal by watching, trying to keep my mouth shut, and I appreciate you sharing your thoughts on the indications you witness in your plants.
Your efforts are indeed appreciated and quite useful. Thank you for this thread.
Do not allow the others to define your happiness. Just be you. You'll win more friends then you will lose. ;)

FWIW, I have Golden Tiger in my current grow running on MC, @Vulx, and will be experimenting with the other GLN nutrients...Not sure how much of a "long running sativa" that will be, but I'm gonna find out! Great job here...and great job at being you, @Emilya - F the haters...they aren't aren't worth the effort....;);):green_heart:

Back
Top Bottom