Employers Now Legally Able to Fire Medical Marijuana Users

Jacob Bell

Stipulations surrounding the use of medicinal marijuana are as controversial as they are unclear. But a Washington State Supreme Court decision on Thursday did legitimize the right of employers to excuse those employees found to be users of marijuana, medical or otherwise.

The Washington state court concluded that MUMA (the Medical Use of Marijuana Act), though it protects prescribed users from threat of criminal prosecution, bears no authority over employment disputes. What that means: Employers are legally able to dismiss a worker if they are found to have failed drug tests even if they are medicinal users – and even if that use has had no impact on their performance at work.

The case began back in 2006, when a woman (who has sued using a pseudonym, as marijuana is currently illegal under federal law) was fired from her job at a Bremerton customer service firm for failing a drug test. The woman used medicinal marijuana for debilitating migraines.

This case exposes several inconsistencies in legislation regarding the rights of medical marijuana users. As Michael Subit, the plaintiff attorney in this case, writes, he would be "flabbergasted if qualified patients could lose their jobs simply for using medical marijuana at home in accordance with the act."

News Hawk- Jacob Ebel 420 MAGAZINE
Source: newsfeed.time.com
Author: Rachel Goldstein
Copyright: Time Inc.
Website: Employers Now Legally Able to Fire Medical Marijuana Users

You should only be fired if you performance is effected, everything else is discrimination.

If an employer does anything with or for the Federal Govt, or if they wish to get an SBA loan, they must comply with the Drug Free Workplace Act. Many Workers Comp insurance companies are offering discounts to employers who comply with the Act.

Discrimination? Hardly...it's all about the money.....

Stipulations surrounding the use of medicinal marijuana are as controversial as they are unclear. But a Washington State Supreme Court decision on Thursday did legitimize the right of employers to excuse those employees found to be users of marijuana, medical or otherwise.

The Washington state court concluded that MUMA (the Medical Use of Marijuana Act), though it protects prescribed users from threat of criminal prosecution, bears no authority over employment disputes. What that means: Employers are legally able to dismiss a worker if they are found to have failed drug tests even if they are medicinal users – and even if that use has had no impact on their performance at work.

The case began back in 2006, when a woman (who has sued using a pseudonym, as marijuana is currently illegal under federal law) was fired from her job at a Bremerton customer service firm for failing a drug test. The woman used medicinal marijuana for debilitating migraines.

This case exposes several inconsistencies in legislation regarding the rights of medical marijuana users. As Michael Subit, the plaintiff attorney in this case, writes, he would be "flabbergasted if qualified patients could lose their jobs simply for using medical marijuana at home in accordance with the act."

News Hawk- Jacob Ebel 420 MAGAZINE
Source: newsfeed.time.com
Author: Rachel Goldstein
Copyright: Time Inc.
Website: Employers Now Legally Able to Fire Medical Marijuana Users

The sonsofbitches just cannot get it through their heads that cannabis is a MEDICINE and not just a drug. I can go to work using xanax, cymbalta and darvocet, so what is the problem if I would test positive for cannabis? That does not mean I medicated before I went to work. I medicate after work which has totally worn off by the next morning. Idiots.

The sonsofbitches just cannot get it through their heads that cannabis is a MEDICINE and not just a drug. I can go to work using xanax, cymbalta and darvocet, so what is the problem if I would test positive for cannabis? That does not mean I medicated before I went to work. I medicate after work which has totally worn off by the next morning. Idiots.

2 problems here.....Cannabis is still a Schedule 1 drug (absolutely no medical value whatsoever), and, there are no recognized standards for "threshold of impairment". We can piss and moan about it all we want, until these two hurdles are overcome, nothing in the workplace will change!

The Fed has to admit they were wrong in persecuting and ruining the lives marijuana smokers for the past 80 years. With that admission comes a certain liability as well. No proper business man would ever want to eat that within his term of office. I am afraid it is what it is.

2 problems here.....Cannabis is still a Schedule 1 drug (absolutely no medical value whatsoever), and, there are no recognized standards for "threshold of impairment". We can piss and moan about it all we want, until these two hurdles are overcome, nothing in the workplace will change!

I beg to differ on this one.

I always want to give Hogsdaddy Positive reputation and the site tells me I need to spread it around more before giving him some. Few people on this site bring the knowledge and ability of Hogdaddy. As much as I would love to high five the hogdaddy on his knowledge, the sad fact is he is right about something that is so wrong.

Beg all you want, the DEA calls the shots and here is their schedule:

DEA, Drug Scheduling

Marijuana IS on the DEA Schedule I and it is number 7360 on that list.

What I am trying to say is Cannabis has no business being on the DEA Schedule 1 list. Also cannabis does have medical purposes which alleviates pain, depression, anxiety and helps people who suffer with glaucoma.

Hog, that was funny. A game haha. Yes, Cannabis is Sched. 1, and yes, it has medicinal value. It's a bumski that this is happening, folks actually fired for using a legal med. What with the job situation out there, it's down right scary. I hope cooler minds will soon prevail, and this problem will be solved.
Blackbird, I figured that is what you meant, that it's not right to be on Sched. 1. It's not right for sure, sadly, no way around that just yet. It won't stay there forever, of that I have no doubt.

Thanks for the clarification. One of the problems with text on a board is that it can usually lead to misunderstandings. If you were telling me this face to face it would have been cleared up in seconds.

What I am trying to say is Cannabis has no business being on the DEA Schedule 1 list. Also cannabis does have medical purposes which alleviates pain, depression, anxiety and helps people who suffer with glaucoma.

It is so ridiculous! The Glaucoma stuff has been well known for well over 100 years, but since the "Anti-Cannabis Nazis" won't fund any case studies, all the evidence, as overwhelming as it is, unfortunately remains anecdotal. Back in the day, anecdotal evidence was given the weight it often deserves and stuff like Aspirin and other well known OTC drugs were largely approved based on it, but these days the FDA has to have their double blind tests which as I said, the Nazis make sure never get funded! A "Catch 22" with the MMJ patients/victims caught in the middle.

Pathetic is a term I often use when describing the FDA's stance on Medical MJ. As long as the ignorant continue to better organize their minions and vote their equally ignorant politicians into office, Cannabis will remain a Schedule 1 drug on the Federal level. Perhaps in another 10-20 years this nauseating anti-intellectual band wagon half the country is in love with right now will have fizzled out, and IQs higher than room temperature will finally prevail. ;)

We can hope!

im living proof it works time after time
liquid oxycodone wont even touch the pain
brain surgery a flop
cannabis lets people live as a normal life as possible!
i lost 65, 70 lbs since starting the medical mmj.
very difficult to understand how one human can with hold life saving naturally occuring plants?
ive tears in my eyes and not able to see to well,
this is wrong but dosent effet me as im totally disabled and hate every minute of it!
sorry about the negativity!

It is so ridiculous! The Glaucoma stuff has been well known for well over 100 years, but since the "Anti-Cannabis Nazis" won't fund any case studies, all the evidence, as overwhelming as it is, unfortunately remains anecdotal. Back in the day, anecdotal evidence was given the weight it often deserves and stuff like Aspirin and other well known OTC drugs were largely approved based on it, but these days the FDA has to have their double blind tests which as I said, the Nazis make sure never get funded! A "Catch 22" with the MMJ patients/victims caught in the middle.

Pathetic is a term I often use when describing the FDA's stance on Medical MJ. As long as the ignorant continue to better organize their minions and vote their equally ignorant politicians into office, Cannabis will remain a Schedule 1 drug on the Federal level. Perhaps in another 10-20 years this nauseating anti-intellectual band wagon half the country is in love with right now will have fizzled out, and IQs higher than room temperature will finally prevail. ;)

We can hope!

Until Cannabis is removed from the Schedule 1 list, no funding to study medicinal applications will be forthcoming!

Back
Top Bottom