Enable Overline BBCode?

Hi,

This one is for @Marc Ocean , I suppose. Marc, would you please enable the BBCode for overline text? I believe that's what it's called. The one that a person uses for adding a horizontal line above characters - such as an endlessly repeating (set of) number(s) after a decimal point, e.g., the result of 1÷3, instead of being ".333333333333333333" would be a .3 with the horizontal line above the 3. If it is called overline, the code would be:
Code:
1÷3=.[o]3[/o]

I rarely have call to use it, but it would be helpful for those rare occasions. And it shouldn't in any way add a burden to the forum operation (otherwise, I wouldn't be making the request).

Thank you.

You mean something like 1 3 ?

BB Code:
Code:
[vinculum="1"]3[/vinculum]

Another example:

test another test ÷ testing 1 2 3

BB Code:
Code:
[vinculum="test"]another test[/vinculum] [sign]÷[/sign] [vinculum="testing"]1 2 3[/vinculum]

Sign BB code makes it so that the sign (eg. x, ÷, etc) is aligned near the middle.

This was added a while back but not yet to the BB Code page.

Well, no, but I'll probably use that one, sooner or later.

Here, maybe this will help:

If it doesn't automatically begin there, skip to 2m15s in the video. I think it's called overline in BBCODEspeak, [o]lineabovetext[/o].

The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog, smoked a bowl, tried again, and tripped.
1/3, expressed in decimal notation, is . 3 .
Blah blah blah, but only when blah blah or if not, then blah blah blah on Tuesday blah.

Well, it's awkward and doesn't look right in comparison to the rest of the text, because the characters become larger, which f*cks up the line spacing.

But you did go to some trouble to do it, lol, so thank you for that. I honestly thought the [o]overline[/o] was included in the standard BBCode list by now.

I saw this, from 13 years ago (still being updated)

...and only belatedly realized that it's some kind of customization.

I also saw this:

Which is what originally caused me to assume (I know, I know...) that it merely had to be "flipped on in the settings" or something. What happened, was that I found myself wanting to enter a repeating decimal number in a post, and figured I could simply do a quick web-search for the numbers with horizontal lines on top, like I occasionally do if I want to enter a subscript character (F₁, CO₂) and am too lazy to go through the steps to manually type it in. Or the degree character (32°F is the same as 100°C and 273.15°K). But I was unable to find something that I could directly copy and paste. I did, however, find the above threads - so I glanced at them... and that's when I made the assumption that you could change a setting (or maybe add a line to a list of acceptable BBCodes?), and then I'd be able to enter a message with 17.[o]27[/o] in it, and it'd appear within text. Without changing the size of the affected character(s), causing odd line spacing, et cetera.

It's no big deal. I can add a load of "extra" digits to imply endless repeat (.3333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333), use periods (.3333333333...), or invite infinity to stop by and help (.333333333∞3).

Again, thanks for trying. You were obviously not required to do so.

Back
Top Bottom