Endive's "Chance Um!" Bubblelicious - LED Grow - 2010

endive

Longtime lurker, short time 420 Member, first time grower, but I figure what da heck, we going chance um! :goodluck:

After months of research, plotting and planning (thanks to many of you all), it's time to do this. Hopefully I can just keep it simple.

Grow #1

Strain:
(6 from seed) Bubblelicious (Indica/Sativa Hybrid, Indica dominant)​

Grow Medium:
8" pots with soilless mix(vermiculite/perlite mix).
Time Release Fertilizer (9-6-6) + supplemental Grow Big during veg.
0-50-30 for 12/12​

Environment:
3'x2'x5' Mylar lined tent.
4' inline duct fan (w/DIY carbon filter - coming soon)
Average day temps - 78ºF
Average night temps - 65ºF
Relative Humidity - 60%​

Lighting: 2 - 90W LEDs + Supplemental CFL as/if needed.
1 - 2010 model HO Cree 6 Band LED (Hydroponics Hut )
1 - Lighthouse UV UFO LED Grow light-2009 (Gotham Products)
92W (6560 Lumens @ 1 sq ft) of supplemental 6500k CFLs during sprouting.​

Random Details
The seeds were very small and took several days to split their shells. They were promptly placed into moss cups with soilless medium, moistened with a very diluted 8-7-6 nutrient solution. All six sprouted this morning.

Currently running 92 watts of CFL at 18/6. Will kick on the LEDs once they get a first set of leaves. As to veg time... 3-4 weeks or 30cm tall or 6-8 leaf nodes, which ever comes first. We'll go 24-48hrs of dark just prior to 12/12.

Once we can determine how many females we have (of 6 sprouts), I'll decide on scrog, lst, or fim/topping.

But I'm getting a little ahead of myself... One day at a time.

Any thoughts, advice, ideas, and critiques, most welcome!

6ladies.jpg

6anna.jpg

Re: Endive's "Chance Um!" Bubblelicious, LED Grow - 2010

Thank you CocoJoe, I'll need all the luck I can get!

Day 4 and a half-ish... It's been very hot here, even with a fan in the tent, my CFLs (4 x 23W in a 13" reflector) were putting off more heat than I could deal with at this point (I hadn't planned on seting up a ventilation fan and filter just yet).

With the CFLs 3" above the seedlings, the grow temps were in the 90's and 3 of them looked very stressed, so what did I do? Same as any newbie, I fretted, overanalyzed, panicked and over watered them! :yikes:

For now, I removed the CFLs and am just using the 90W CREE LED to veg. Temps are now back in the 70-80ºF range running 17on/7off. My 90W Lighthouse LED should be here any day now and I should be able to add it in and safely double my light source without an increase in temperature.

On 4 sprouts (Farrah, Chloe, Devika and Bel), the cotyledons are blemished, yellow and in the state of atrophy. While the first true leaves look decent on two of them, I'm concerned about the other two as the leaf sets are quite small in compairison to the healthy ones. I hope they pull through.

Anna, the first to sprout is the runt of the healthy sprouts, Evangelina's leaves are nearly as wide as they are long, and looking good, and even though Bel's cotyledons are dying off, the first leaf set is looking good.

I wish the sprout/vegetation stage had a fast-forward button...

Cotyledons are still yellowing and dying off.

Farrah here, is the weakest of the group.
6Farrah.jpg

The Sickly Six
6group.jpg

The Sickly Six under the disco light
6groupLED.jpg

How many air stones are you using ? Are you using bubbles or are you just watering ? No nutes yet I would think , or very little 150-200 ppm .

Like the names! Kinda of iffy on that time release stuff from what I have heard at least has been known to kill off some plants with really bad burn or stunt it badly. Just a heads up! Otherwise looks great man.

SG

Hi All, thank you for dropping in!

@ ol hippy - No nutes yet, they are just peat cups w/ soilless. A day prior to dropping the sprouted seeds in, the cups were saturated with a very mild nute solution, and then just plain distilled water from the bottom as needed.

@ SanibelGreen - I agree, with the time release nutes it can be easy to over do it, especially if you follow the packaged directions. Indoor growing temps are warmer than what the directions were intended for, warmer soil (or soilless medium) temperatures allow a higher rate of nutrients to be released in a much shorter time period, thus over feeding and possibly burning the plants.

However, DocBud has had some great grows using Osmocote in hempys. The Osmocote hempys out grew the Advanced Nutrient ones.

Right now I need simple. I tend to waaaaaaay over analyze things as it is. Mission one right now is to just not kill them :rip: and get them big and healthy enough to transplant.

Just looking out Endive glad to see you right on top of it! I love LED grows so I will be watching and waiting for more pics! :bong:

SG

Thanks again Sanibel, the more eyes the better. Input is appreciated!

It's barely a week growing and already I've learned (the hard way) several things NOT to do.

In the home brewing business, whenever worried or in doubt about something, we have a saying - "Relax, Don't Worry, Have a Home Brew!" If I were to apply that to this endevor, I'd be on permenant couch-lock.

endive , don't worry smoke a bowl !! :peace:

Howsit endive!

Looking good so far! I like the setup. GL with the grow :goodluck:

:ganjamon:

And then there were two...

Sadly I lost four of the six seedlings. Bel and Chloe are the survivors.

Started the remaining 4 seeds Sunday afternoon, 3 of which had popped open in the first 24 hrs. They are now in cups.

I finally got the right distance between the LEDs and the seedlings. About 40cm away for the CREE, and 60cm for the Lighthouse IR/UV LED as it runs a little warmer.

I fried then subsequently overwatered my first starts, all but one was lost (Bel). The new sprouts are headed into week 2 and two of them have the fattest, roundest leaves I've seen.

Fat round leaves... Sprout #1
2010-08-03_07-24-23_34.jpg

Normal Leaves... Sprout #3
2010-08-03_07-24-15_785.jpg

Bell at week 2
080410203441.jpg

Group Shot
2010-08-03_07-22-50_7.jpg

I can't seem to figure out what is slowing the growth of these Bubblicious seedlings.

Both sets seem to be at about half the growth they should be...

Set 1 - Bel at almost 4 weeks, finally starting to kick in, but still way behind. Looks healthy with exception to dying leaf tips on lower sun leaves:
Bel.jpg

Set 2 - Sprout 1 solid comeback after a little light bleaching early in week 2:
S16.jpg

Set 2 - Sprout 2 She was the strongest of the new set, but got a little shocky after transplanting.
S26.jpg

Set 2 - Sprout 3 Yet to be transplanted, as the other two were a bit early to transplant. Doing well, but again seems slow. Leaves are very wide and very droopy (Sprout 2 also seems to have a droop). I almost wonder if it's curling away from the lights... or, overwatered, or ???
S31.jpg

Live and learn...

2tsp/gal of FF GrowBig was a bit too much for her...
Bel-2010-08-18.jpg

Endive!

I can't wait to see how those bubblicious finish out for you!

GrowBig is a pretty strong nute, and can definitely burn your girls if you use it at full strength too quickly. I use the FF line too...and I feed only 5ml(1 tsp)/gal grow big with every watering to keep from burning them.

Looking good tho bro...keep em green! :thumb:

Hey Conquering Lion, thanks for stopping by!

I can't wait either! :;):

Yeah 1 tsp of Grow Big is good! It's what I gave the rest of the plants, but Bel being two weeks older, I thought (that was my problem right there) it could use a bit more nutes and went with 10ml.

I checked out your grows, AWESOME!!! Where did you come by the Lavender???

Live, learn, and hopefully not kill anything else off.

What do you think?
Is Bel male, female, or too soon to tell?
DSC02531.jpg

I really hope Bel isn't a Bill ...

Back
Top Bottom