Endless war with root rot/pythium

fromthetown

When I say pythium I mean all the various root destroying diseases.

I scanned the pages and didn't see much on this so I thought I'd reach out...

Maintaining healthy white roots (on OG and Bubs) is, for us, like treating chronic sickness.

Me and my family have been growing for many years. By no means do I consider myself an expert but I'm way beyond light-burn, overwater, toxic nute formulas etc.

We've given up on beneficials. Now it's hygrozyme, h2o, and weekly flushes with Florashield.

We treat from mother to cuttings to veg to flowering.

Whenever we ease up on this expensive process, the browning returns.

We've tried trichoderma products like Tarantula (which kinda screws with the PH...at least for us) and Humtea.

This is what it takes for us to keep our plants healthy.

I feel cursed. Or possibly stupid.

Anyone else experience this phenomenon of undefeatable root rot?

Also, I hear conflicting data on the various pythium'esque diseases being systemic. Some growers say once you got it, you got it. Some say you can pretty much cure it.

what method are you growing,,, soil,,hydro,, if hydro, how, flood and drain,bubbler,drip,etc..

We use Ready Grow - aerated.

We drip over the top.

Recycling water (drain to waste isn't really an option).

We've tried other systems/mediums over the years, usually to similar or worse results with what we're doing now.

The same problem occurs in two different locations.

Honestly, the most frustrating thing is the amount of extra work this problem costs us.

my roots were starting to look shity,,, so i got a bigger air pump and better air stones, now roots are white and doing SUPER.......

We change the water once a week. We flush Florashield with each change (this is the only way we've been able to keep roots healthy) and we use Hy/Perox

Water temps are about 60 degrees.

All reservoirs have airstones, plus the drain sits a foot above the resi so there's aeration there too.

Appreciate you guys engaging, btw.

I was looking around some of the aquarium sites (great source for pumps, fittings etc..). I found an ozone generator that feeds an air stone thereby oxygenating the reservoir and raising your ORP (oxidation, reduction/potential). They are used in aquarium setups to prevent algae and other nasties. The downside is it will also kill your good bacteria, but should destroy the root rot. The systems I saw were in the $120 range.

I'm curious if anyone here has tried using an ozone generator to raise the O2 in their res? (not the ones designed for odor control, these are specifically designed to feed an air stone)

60 seems a tad cold mine were running 65 -68 with my chiller and didnt seem to have any problems. I use hydrozome and general hydro subcultures B and M

HA! I hope you guys have cracked a problem that has been plaguing us for years...

Just found out the water temp at the spot that has the goofy acting trays is 50.

There are two trays that have something my partner calls "broomstick."

The buds are very small and tight against the stalk. Sparsely spread out. Quality and plant health looks fine.

Thoughts?

Btw,

I really really really appreciate this, guys.

Regardless whether or not a miracle solution comes out of this exchange, I genuinely appreciate the help.

Maybe one day I'll be able to pay it forward on another thread as I've screwed up in every way imaginable over the years.

Just to close this out, things have turned around.

We dropped the water heaters and the 180 was almost immediate.

Thanks so much, guys.

Now it's back to perpetual treatment to keep those roots white.

Back
Top Bottom