Equanimity's 2nd Grow - The White Room - HPS & CFL - 3 Strains & Sex for Afters

Equanimity

Hello again 420magazine :)

I have now collected all of the required items for my new grow and I am ready to begin again.

I hope to use what I've learned from your good selves and my previous grow to achieve a higher yield and better flavour than my previous grow. I also wish to breed in the second half of this journal. Ready? Let's go :yummy:

Grow Journal Required Data:

Name: The White Room.

Strains:
8 x Lemon Kush (Female Seeds)​
3 x Blue Dream (Humboldt Organisation)​
1 x Super Silver Critical Haze (Delicious Seeds)​
12 Plants Total​

Breeding:
Blue Dream[M] with Blue Dream[F]
Lemon Kush[M] with Lemon Kush[F]
Blue Dream[M] with Super Silver Critical Haze[F]

Environment: Indoors; cabinet type.

Lighting:
1 x 600W Dual Spectrum HPS (in a cool tube)​
2 x 300W Dual Spectrum CFL​
9 x 35W CFLs​
possibly 150x3w LED Panel​

Ventilation:
1 x Black Orchid 125mm In-Line fan​
3 x 120mm Scythe PC Fan (intake)​
1 x 10" Desk Fan (circulation)​

Growing Medium: Coco Coir with one scoop of Mycorrhizae under each seed.

Nutrients: I'll be using Canna Coco A+B, supplementing with Cal-Mag and others i might find in the wild as required.

Pest Control: Diatomaceous Earth & Neem Oil.

Pots: 3 Litre square black plastic pots; they don't like labels :/

The Room Is made out of two identical wardrobes turned to face each other, the doors closest to the wall are opened and then screws are driven through one and into the other to hold them in place as a back wall. The remaining doors are removed and rehung on what would have been the wardrobe's sides. The gap between the two wardrobes' 'floors' is bridged using slats from a single bed base that are screwed down. The wardrobes are joined once more by the metal crossbar attached to the 'ceilings'. The rest of the gap is covered by fire blankets that have been duct taped and nailed down to form a 'soft top' style roof; I have then cut a hole into this and passed the venting duct through it as a 'chimney'.

2014-09-18_23_12.jpg
2014-09-18_23_14_08.jpg
2014-09-18_23_14.jpg
2014-09-18_23_12_29.jpg

The Lights are plugged into a 6 gang extension lead which is on a timer currently set to activate at 06:00 and deactivate at 00:00. The in-line ventilation fan is also on this timed circuit. The fans for fresh air intake and circulation are on another circuit that is not on a timer.

There are 9 35w CFLs, 2 300w CFLs and one 600w, however, for the initial seedling phase (and to allow me some time to sort some heat issues) the HPS will not be turned on. The HPS is in a cool tube but it's just not adequately 'cool'.

As mentioned earlier, there is a 150x3w LED light in my possession, however, during the primary testing phase, one of it's three LED drivers popped rendering half of the device in the dark; a half moon if you will. I have repaired this device by patching both LED banks through one of the remaining LED Drivers; I believe the function of the third is actually just to power the fans. As I understand this device and it's requirements, i should be able to fix it again if necessary. This device is currently in another location turned on and will be left on for at least 48 hours before i deem it worthy of returning to the grow room.

2014-09-05_14_21_40.jpg
2014-09-05_13_24_07.jpg

The Planting

I'm using Coco Coir again, cos it's lovely and easy. I got this new stuff off Amazon cos my local shop had none and it was more expensive but damn well worth it, much better quality than the hydro shop stuff. I have mixed this with three fistfuls (per pot) of Perlite.

It's moist to the point that if you move it or mould it it stays in shape (instead of falling apart like dry sand), first I poke a hole in it with my finger; big deep hole.

2014-09-19_00_14_57.jpg

I pour in the Mycorrhizae and push it down a little, covering it in a thin layer of 'coirlite'.

2014-09-19_00_14_03.jpg
2014-09-19_00_14_39.jpg
2014-09-19_00_15_21.jpg
2014-09-19_00_15_46.jpg

Once that's done I drop the seed in so that it's roughly a half inch from the surface and then repeat the whole process 11 more times.

2014-09-19_00_13_15.jpg
2014-09-19_00_13_04.jpg
2014-09-19_00_12_59.jpg

I then sprinkle Diatomaceous Earth on all of them to try to prevent any bugs infesting my coir.

The plants in this grow were to be named after rock chicks but that was before i decided to plant 12; to be honest I only really like about 5 or 6 metal bands with a female vocalist so I have defaulted to ex girlfriends; I can easily find 12 names in there lol The Blue Dreams are named after the best girls, the Lemon Kush named after a selection of the mediocre and the delicious critical super silver haze is named after a total bitch.

These are named as follows:
Julie - Blue Dream
Leanne - Blue Dream
Josie - Blue Dream
Kerry - Lemon Kush
Carla - Lemon Kush
Jennifer - Lemon Kush
Joanne - Lemon Kush
Christine - Lemon Kush
Kimberley - Lemon Kush
Cheryl - Lemon Kush
Nicola - Lemon Kush
Loretta - Critical Super Silver Haze

The Breeding programme will take place further down the line. I will select the healthiest girls from their respective groups. A Lemon Kush and a Blue Dream will undergo Gender Reassignment Surgery by way of a Colloidal Silver hormone therapy (though I'll be holding off on the laser hair removal and slicing bits off) and these will be put out to stud with one each of those strains and also the critical haze blah. The Colloidal Silver treatments and subsequent sexing will take place in the blue room.

I hope to generate enough seeds for all of my future staple grows (Lemon Kush is currently my only staple strain; that is to say, a strain I will grow every time I grow. I'm hoping the Blue Dream is good enough to make this list)

So, after alls said and done I have 10 seeds left, 2 x Sleestack regular seeds and 8 Lemon Kush so if I screw this up I'm screwed.

Wish me luck and thank you for looking :)
:thanks:

re: Equanimity's 2nd Grow - The White Room - HPS & CFL; 3 Strains & Sex for Afters

Update: Got a co2 bag on the way so when that arrives I'll get that hung up and hopefully the girls will enjoy swimmin about in that and hopefully be able to tolerate higjer temperatures

re: Equanimity's 2nd Grow - The White Room - HPS & CFL; 3 Strains & Sex for Afters

thanks guys :)

I'll update again when i have some sprouts

Little Update: I'm now minus one 35w CFL, i don't know what happened; i opened the door and it was dead. With the amount of bulbs I have, losses are to be expected; I've ordered a replacement and a coupla spares.

The LED is actually 50x3w and not 150x3w as i stated previously; my bad, i got confused with the whole 50x3w=150w thing, so, yeah, it's a panel containing 50 LEDs at 3w apiece on various wavelengths including white and infrared. I think the white is useless though. Well, it lasted a full 48 hours hooked up to the single LED driver; i considered putting it through the two drivers and then running the fans off a seperate 12v adapter but to be totally honest i couldn't be bothered lol I have put it back into the grow room just to see if it will last.

If it breaks again, I'll fix it, but it'll end up being used as some sort of funky lamp or Christmas decoration. Or booted around the back yard with the steel toe cap boots on.

I hope to fire the HPS up again when the Carbon Dioxide bag arrives; this is simply a bag of mycelium that shits out co2 for up to six months. co2 does not have a smell and so i won't know when it's run out (unless the mycelium itself has a measurable smell?) so for safety I'm gonna replace it when i switch to flower.

Obviously I'm doing all this on a tight tight budget so i can't just go buy an air conditioner, or a powered co2 generator, so i must make do with the bags. Since I've now got most of my equipment i can maybe look at things like that in the future.

So now it's just a waiting-and-rotating game until i get something worth shining the big light onto. I hope for 12 out of 12 however if i end up with like 9 sprouts and then a day or two go by i am just going to germinate replacements immediately cos if i wait too long there'll be an age gap and we can't have that.

Now I'm off to research these mycelium bags and for the benefit of others I'll paste the answers i get to my questions:

Q: will it spread to my pots? - A: if i rip the bag; Mycelium won't kill the plants but will be a bed for fungus, and big mushrooms will sap nutrients.

Q: temperature headroom with the bag? - A: min: 30c max: 35c

Q: how much of it I'll end up breating in while am sleepin? - I'll need to move my extractor tube back up to the ceiling.

Q: Does co2 fall. A: yes. So i have to raise the extractor hose to way above the height of the bag, and put the bag on the opposite side of the grow area. Cos i don't want it all getting sucked out.

Wowza, man! Let me tell you, I have a little tear in my eye. Sniff. You actually measured in centimeters and inches! What a very nice guy you are. I just might be able to follow along easier. Blessings on you and all yours.

This is going to be such a great grow class! I've been sharpening pencils all day. ;)

OMIGAWD, I just went back through your pics and you own my favorite toy! The humidi-measurer! Everything looks so ship-shape.:cheer:
:goodjob::high-five:

Wowza, man! Let me tell you, I have a little tear in my eye. Sniff. You actually measured in centimeters and inches! What a very nice guy you are. I just might be able to follow along easier. Blessings on you and all yours.

This is going to be such a great grow class! I've been sharpening pencils all day. ;)

OMIGAWD, I just went back through your pics and you own my favorite toy! The humidi-measurer! Everything looks so ship-shape.:cheer:
:goodjob::high-five:

thanks, means a lot to have you on board :)

Day Three

We have 4 sprouts out of 12 beans. One of these is just a white blob but it's easily a sprout.
2014-09-21_19_53_40.jpg
2014-09-21_19_52_44.jpg
2014-09-21_19_52_23.jpg
2014-09-21_19_51_57.jpg

These are:

Josie - Blue Dream
Leanne - Blue Dream
Joanne - Lemon Kush
and
Carla - Lemon Kush

I'd say that's a great start so far :)

So now I'm up to Eight sprouts out of 12. Things are heating up. the existing sprouts are reaching for the sky and everything seems to be on target. i want to be out of seedling and into veg by this time next week.

I'll take your word for the white blob of Josie. I'm just messing with you 'cause I think your camera hand was shaking. Why wouldn't it be? 4 outa 12 this fast. YAY FOR YOU.

Um, could you clue me in just a little bit about this CO2 bag thing? I'm just a little embarrassed, cause I didn't realize you could buy air movement in a bag. I'll do my best to retain the information.

I'll take your word for the white blob of Josie. I'm just messing with you 'cause I think your camera hand was shaking. Why wouldn't it be? 4 outa 12 this fast. YAY FOR YOU.

Um, could you clue me in just a little bit about this CO2 bag thing? I'm just a little embarrassed, cause I didn't realize you could buy air movement in a bag. I'll do my best to retain the information.

We're all here to learn honey :) the co2 bag is basically just a big ol' bag of Mycelium, which is a type of fungus. As the mycelium infests the bag, it breathes out co2, which will then fall into the canopy :)

that's the idea anyway, whether it works or not is anyone's guess, however, they're cheap enough for the good old college try and they do get good reviews on amazon. I'm not using the co2 for it's yield-increasing properties, I'm using it so that my girls will tolerate 35c temperatures lol

Ok, so, we have 11/12 sprouts; i checked the 12th and it hadn't even launched a tap root so i have replaced it. it'll be 4 days behind the rest, if i get it a little extra time under the best lights it should catch up.

Still, 11/12 is fucking A

:)

So yeah, upon reflection I've determined that I've overcooked my lighting rig. My cupboard should have a 400w bulb or possibly less. As it stands I've got heat coming out my ass.

I can't afford a new ballast and bulb; not sure what happens if you put a 400w bulb in a 600w ballast, i imagine it sounds like 'pop'. it's not dimmable. it's a rather basic ballast. I got the 600w cos it was like £5 more than the 400w and did not take the heat into account. I allowed my wallet to do the thinking and my great great granny was jewish and i was tired the day i ordered it. thems me excuses.

I also cannot afford any more ventilation paraphernalia.

What i do have is one in-line fan, 5", something or other cfm (like 265, or something; not great), it's one of them black orchid ones. I've currently got this right in the cool tube with duct tape. it's pushing through the cool tube and then about a foot of alu tubing fully stretched out and in a straight line. no bends.

On the suck side of the fan I've got another foot of alu tube dangling into the cupboard.

It sucks out a bunch of heat and i can use it as a makeshift hair dryer on the output end. but it's not enough.

I also have three 12cm computer fans sucking in from just above floor level.
and then two desk fans in there.

So, what I've tried so far is threading the suck tube out the cabinet and out a window. this fucks me up cos it keeps the HPS tube itself cool but the radiant light heats up the grow room and this time there's no tube sucking from inside the cabinet.

I've also tried putting a large block of ice in a bowl and blasting a desk fan at it. it reduces temps by 2-3c but only lasts about an hour. a bowl of warm water doesn't have the same effect. tomorrow i will source a container for a larger block of ice lol

I'm also thinking of moving one of the computer fans to the ceiling and having it suck air out.

If anyone has any ideas let me know.

Heat rises. thought one.

I did a quick google and found someone who "currently had a 400 watt bulb in a 600watt ballast" and just wanted to know if he was getting the right number of watts. So, yeahhhhh, you could do it, but at the least you are going to be burning through bulbs if not burning down the house.

That's not helping you now, though. Is it at all possible to cut another hole through the ceiling of your cab and still be able to block the light with the fire blankets, yet allow air to circulate through? I'm sure that will defeat some purpose or another, but hey, I'm brainstorming.

Ok, I just thought of something for your 'larger block of ice.' The do it yourself air conditioners are pretty basically ice enclosed in a thermal place with a fan or two penetrating that thermal area. A styrofoam cooler filled with ice and a hole cut out of the lid with a fan shoved into the hole kind of thing. So why not, say, a thermos full of ice with one or two of your computer fans drilled into it?

Go, fight, win!

Well I've been using the ice blocks, misting every few hours, i watered them last night cos they were feeling a little light.

The fungus bag should be here today so hopefully i can close the door once i have that.

Back
Top Bottom