Escape Velocities: Syenite's Stealth Miniatures

It’s like the palace of Versailles in there! They are going to be very happy cannabis plants in there. What fantastic genetics you’ve sourced, too! That hard work is going to pay off. You’re growing some of the best meds in the world :cheer::hippy::yummy:

So this run is part of my effort to try out some iteration of the Chem '91, OG Kush, and Sour Diesel. After quite a bit of thinking and research, these were some of the best fem backcrosses/outcrosses of these legends that I could find on the market.
Nice stuff Sy. I love your researching of the strain lines. I hope in time you can confirm them to be pretty special. It would help solve a dilemma I have on whether the majority of a seed banks 'top' strains are roughly all good with subtle personal nuances, or as you are actively researching, are the really special ones 'chalk and cheese' above the rest.
Unfortunately, I did have some dramas during germination. My first Sour Bubba sprout grew upside down and never recovered from being turned over. The second bean didn't crack at all. My first Starkiller OG bean also never cracked. This is why I ended up with a "spare" SKOG sprout. I popped another just in case.
I was surprised when I read of it occurring, and then one grew upside-down with me last year too.
I found this all quite stressful/painful especially since I've had a 100% germ rate up until this point. But that's ok. Still learning so much!
It is quite disturbing and happened to me this grow, previously I'd germinated no problem on top of the warmth from a stereo unit and this time it was terrible, a further go at room temp worked fine but it does your head in wondering if it was something you did or were they just non viable seeds. I am reluctant to blame the seeds as I prefer to think the majority would be viable but of course they could have been initially viable but been over time badly stored.

The new box/light configuration should be a great boost to this grow. I am looking forward to watching these babies take off!:yummy:

New box, new babies!!

IMG_1453.jpeg

IMG_1458.jpeg

IMG_1461.jpg

The box

I was inspired by @DonkeyDick 's new cardboard construction to improve on my previous box.

The dimensions of the previous box were just a little off - a bit too narrow, a bit too tall - so I actually found and ordered this cardboard box, LOL! This box is deeper, wider and a little shorter.

Further, I have purchased additional LED panels, so I now have an array of 4 panels in this box for the top-down lighting (up from 3). I will also be adding 2 more panels on either side for supplemental light. We'll be going from 45W to 90W here (in potentials). The array is now also adjustable in height, so no more awkward propping up of the plants.

I've replaced the old blower with AC Infinity's S2 blower. It is so, so quiet in comparison. I have yet to hook up a carbon filter, but I have a couple of months to do that.

The babies

You'll see 4 seedlings in the photos. I'm running 3 new lines, and have an extra seedling of one that I will be giving away.

2 plants will live in the cardboard box, while one will eventually be moved to the cabinet.

(The following descriptions are ripped from the breeder pages.)

Katsu Bluebird's Sour Bubba:

This is a cross of the East Coast Sour Diesel (the one I shared with Devils Harvest Krew in ’03) and a reversed Pre-98 Bubba Kush. Most crosses I’ve made with the Bubba are usually Bubba dominant – much less so with this particular cross. You’ll get a variety pack of phenos from these with varying degrees of diesel/gas. These are two of my all-time favorite strains and the cross does NOT disappoint! Expect above average yields of top-shelf buds that take approximately 70 days to flower for maximum flavor and effect. 63-70 days to finish.

Cali Connection's Chem '91:

The famed Chem 91 Sk Va, this comes from the East Coast, given to use by the Chem family from Chem Dawg and their crew. It is outcrossed to the Deadhead and then backcrossed to the Chem 91 so it’s actually to itself. The male seeds are Chem 91 female crossed to Chem 91 BX1 male. The female seeds are Chem 91 Skunk Va crossed to the Chem 91 BX1 female reversed. These will provide you large yields, very skunky, very kerosene, very typical to an OG- lemon undertone. You’ll have a solid bud structure followed by shorter plant with thicker stems. Has a tendency to grow large at times if you don’t train it properly. Fast flower time but still finishes at a typical 70 days.

Rare Dankness' Starkiller OG:

Winner of the High Times Cannabis Cup
Winner of the Oregon Grower's Cup

Take the Skywalker Og and cross it with the RD#2 male and you get sweet/kushy taste lemonhead candy of all the way around. From the first taste, she brings on the OG flavor. Dense, purplish hued buds, trich covered buds. A little stockier than her Og sisters. Does well indoors or out. Does not like high temps or high PH. Medium to high yielder.

Medical Uses: Pain relief, insomnia, chemotherapy, Gastrointestinal Issues, AIDS, PTSD

Lineage: Skywalker OG Kush X RD#2

60-70 Days flower time.

(N.B. the RD#2 is itself a TK/OG backcross/reconstruction, with a bit of Chem in the mix)

So this run is part of my effort to try out some iteration of the Chem '91, OG Kush, and Sour Diesel. After quite a bit of thinking and research, these were some of the best fem backcrosses/outcrosses of these legends that I could find on the market.

Unfortunately, I did have some dramas during germination. My first Sour Bubba sprout grew upside down and never recovered from being turned over. The second bean didn't crack at all. My first Starkiller OG bean also never cracked. This is why I ended up with a "spare" SKOG sprout. I popped another just in case.

I found this all quite stressful/painful especially since I've had a 100% germ rate up until this point. But that's ok. Still learning so much!

I'm just happy to have all the lines I want, up and running. The Chem '91 is a bit droopy in the back-left, and I must've overwatered slightly. Apart from that, all systems go!!

I'm so ####ing ready and PUMPED for this run!!!!!!!!!!

:cheer::surf::woohoo:
Wicked brother...... grow that fire my man!

:cheer: on the new box and the new babies! Off to a great start (germing issues aside).
:thumb:

Thank you Shed! :Namaste:

It’s like the palace of Versailles in there! They are going to be very happy cannabis plants in there. What fantastic genetics you’ve sourced, too! That hard work is going to pay off. You’re growing some of the best meds in the world :cheer::hippy::yummy:

:high-five:

We are so lucky!

a dilemma I have on whether the majority of a seed banks 'top' strains are roughly all good with subtle personal nuances, or as you are actively researching, are the really special ones 'chalk and cheese' above the rest

Likewise my friend. Although it may take me a couple of years to get enough data (even anecdotally!) to be able to tell you with any confidence.

I'm going to guess that most modern lines are decent, no matter the breeding process/practice, and ultimately we may just be splitting hairs on that level.

However, I am still interested in finding the best stuff possible, and, further, have ethical concerns about the business practices of some seed companies.

wondering if it was something you did or were they just non viable seeds

Likewise my friend. One thing that I did differently this time - I waited to see whether the beans would crack after soaking for 1-2 days before I sowed them. Previously, I would sow them after 24 hours regardless of whether I saw a crack. I could well have been wrong about them being non-viable just because there was no crack.

Other than that, nothing has changed in my process! Soak in an auxin-vit-B (Canna Rhizotonic) dilution for 24 hours, then sow.

Wicked brother...... grow that fire my man!

We're well on our way now my friend! Cheers!

Sweet new setup, Sye!
Can't wait to see what you do in there!

I'm guessing that you're left handed, because that door looks backward to me :)

Beautiful new expressions in cardboard!
:bravo: Really looks a treat Sy:love:

first Sour Bubba sprout grew upside down and never recovered from being turned over. The second bean didn't crack at all.
:oops: bugger!
could well have been wrong about them being non-viable just because there was no crack.
I have never in my growing life waited for a seed to crack before I put it in the soil. I soak 12 to 24 hours, usually less than 24 hours by quite a few, and plant. Just because it didn’t crack in the water doesn’t mean it’s not a viable seed. :) Did you ditch it? It’s probably sprouted wherever it ended up, if it didn’t dry out. :laughtwo:

You still got a Sour B going then?

Glad you moved briskly along with all the more joyful parts of growing - past the head-scratching brow-furrowing part.

You have a great run lined up!
:popcorn:

Sweet new setup, Sye!
Can't wait to see what you do in there!

I'm guessing that you're left handed, because that door looks backward to me :)

Hahahha the placement of the hinge was a tactical consideration relative to the box's spot by the table leg :laugh:

Awesome Box run Sye! Love the chem choice! I'm sitting on some chem 91 beans just itching to get grown. Best of luck to you!

Thank you SO! I'm really excited too. I have more/better Chem genetics in the collection if this one isn't quite the real ticket.

Beautiful new expressions in cardboard!
:bravo: Really looks a treat Sy:love:

:oops: bugger!

I have never in my growing life waited for a seed to crack before I put it in the soil. I soak 12 to 24 hours, usually less than 24 hours by quite a few, and plant. Just because it didn’t crack in the water doesn’t mean it’s not a viable seed. :) Did you ditch it? It’s probably sprouted wherever it ended up, if it didn’t dry out. :laughtwo:

You still got a Sour B going then?

Glad you moved briskly along with all the more joyful parts of growing - past the head-scratching brow-furrowing part.

You have a great run lined up!
:popcorn:

Yeah I agree. I don't know why my logic changed around that process. I'll go back to doing what you suggest here in the next run!

Sour B is up and happy. :high-five: :popcorn: :thanks:

Been a bit. I hope all is okay with you and the fam! :Namaste:

Thank you for checking in Shed!

Timely. I couldn't face posting here for a bit because I was having some awful dramas with the seedlings...

Seedling Saga

Ok so after some issues in the germination phase, I was pleased to see the seedlings off to a good start: perky, green and happy. I was misting them about once or twice a day.

However, I really began to sweat when, after putting out its first serrated leaves, every seedling started to droop. That's right. All 4 of them. Then they started to yellow. Then the leaves started to go necrotic.

My first assumption was that I was overwatering, which I had done many times in the past. So I held off watering. No bueno. Then I thought I was underwatering. So I tried misting them a bit more. This also didn't seem to make much difference.

Then I started freaking out about all kinds of other things: Had I mixed the extra perlite in properly (maybe there was too much at the bottom again raising the water table)? Were the lights too close? The pots too small? Something about the spray bottle I was using?

Finally, I got sick of it and went with some brute force methods to bisect the possibility space - in other words, I decided to give one of them a BIG DRINK of water, and guess what?

I'd been friggin UNDERWATERING them. :rofl:

How embarrassing...

I've graduated from Newbie Level 1 (Overwaterer) to Newbie Level 2 (Underwaterer)?

I was too sad to take many pics of the unhappy seedlings, but here's an example of what they were all looking like.

IMG_1476.jpg

And here they are now:

IMG_1488.jpeg

Much happier, and well on the road now.

You'll notice I popped another extra bean - the pot in the middle has another Chem '91 - when I was a bit panicked and uncertain of which would make it.

I now have an "extra" Starkiller OG and Chem '91 so we may need to albatross them to a fellow grower!

Hope you all are well. Life has otherwise actually been pretty good!

I know I said I would do a Bubba Kush smoke report. The Bigfoot Glue has also almost had two weeks in cure. So maybe the next post will be a comparative report on/with both?

Life has otherwise actually been pretty good!
:circle-of-love: Very happy to hear it!
They are remarkably resilient aren’t they - even at this young stage? Good to see them so healthy.
Herb the bird gets around, huh? Alan Herbert Ross. :surf:
Glad your gardens are chugging!
Looking forward to your write ups.
:love: to T and G.

Stoked to see you’re back in the race!

I did exactly the same with my first special Tangie seed. Now I give it minimal thought and water like an outlaw. I literally drown them with my hose, I leave em out in the rain and I absolutely waterboard em wth my nute mix. In a nutshell I basically feed em like I hate them. LOL

My method works okay for me

Hello sy! :ciao: Glad these little ones are looking well. Wish you a good run. :yummy:
I hope you and yours are healthy and happy.
Smile and stay stoneder :passitleft:

My Pre '98 Bubba Kush and Bigfoot Glue: Comparative experience

The first thing that comes to mind is the disparity in both smell and flavour, between the two. The Bubba has a ferocious lemon-pine, as I've mentioned, almost like the cleaning agent I just used to mop the house with. LOL! The Glue, on the other hand, is mild, sweet, gently piney - really not much to write home about. I'm disappointed with my Glue, having heard so much about the GG4. I do not attribute this to the particular seed line. In fact, without popping any more seeds from the pack, I'd have no idea whether it's the genetics, my particular pheno, my environment, grow methodology, etc. So this is about my Glue. This Glue. Same with the Bubba.

In saying all that, I really like the effect the Glue has on me. It's very mellow and relaxing without being too sedative or narcotic. It's a smooth smoke and vape. It's strong, too. The relaxation follows me around for the rest of the day. I love it! I'd call it friendly, if not kind.

But the Bubba...

When I smoke or vape the Bubba, I feel it in both my face and chest very quickly. It has a frothy, fizzy quality as it surges up behind my face. Sometimes I have to sneeze. This is gassy, but not in the manner of fuel, rather like that of fizz in a soda. It's not a flavour per se, but a powerful sensation. And it really does add some punch to the experience. I'm not sure I've had anything like it before! And yes I do find it very strong, even though I believe on the THC% scale it is a sub-20 variety. I'll be honest, I don't have good/sophisticated data on the experience of the high because I always have it late in the day and it kicks me off the planet. One hand holding on to the dining table while I glaze at, over and through dark windows.

The Bubba flowers are dense and heavy, like small stones in the palm. The Glue flowers are lighter, but carry the same small streaks of purple. The Glue also boasts more frost.

All in all, I'm very pleased to have them both in my stash. The Bubba is an elite smoke, for me, while the Glue is a more than solid performer. While I'm not impressed with its smell-flavour profile, I look forward to trying more Glue phenos and outcrosses, as there are certainly more to come. From the Bubba, I have also experienced my first possible interpretation of gas. Again, so much more to come! Especially with this new run.

Speaking of, all my little ones are doing well. First training update, coming next!

:Namaste::green_heart::ganjamon:

I like your write ups. Interesting to learn more about the experience of these two.
I do like the sound of friendly and kind.
But I also like
One hand holding on to the dining table while I glaze at, over and through dark windows.
your evocative writing :reading420magazine:
If I was your stash I’d be like “yeah, I know I’m rich and deep and stuff, but you know what? It’s nice to be appreciated “.
;)

A big catch-up and the beginning of training

Here's where they were a little after the germination dramas. I also had that period of underwatering, from which the plants bounced back very quickly once I figured out what I'd been doing wrong. In this pic you can see the "spare" Starkiller and Chem '91, which have since made their way (magically, of course) to the Stable of Impermanence, along with a cutting from the Sour Bubba!

IMG_1492.jpeg

At some point, the plants started to look uncomfortable in the seedling pots, and so a transplant was due!

IMG_1511.jpeg

It was right after this point that a) training started, and b) the spares/cuttings were magicked off!

And then there were three, two in the cardboard box and one in the cabinet.

Starkiller OG (cardboard box)

IMG_1526.jpeg

Sour Bubba (cardboard box)

IMG_1527.jpeg

Chem '91 (cabinet)

IMG_1529.jpg

The C91 is a little behind the other two in training, having been sprouted a week or so after. I think it will be topped in the next day or two.

You might notice some tacoing in the first two plants (SK, SB), and a bit of yellowing at the edges of the new growth. The lights were a bit too intense at the beginning, but I've since found a sweet(er) spot for them. At one point the SK had alarming yellow and tacoing on the new growth, so I'm glad that it's mostly recovered. The C91 also looks a bit light on top, so perhaps dimming needs to occur in the cabinet, too.

Training plans

The plants in the cardboard box (SK, SB) are going to follow a slightly more "relaxed" training plan. You can see I've just left one node (i.e. two growth tips) on each of those two plants. I'll let that two-branch base grow out, and the nodes off those branches will constitute the tops. I probably won't care too much about keeping the canopy even for these.

The C91 will follow the same training that the Glue had in the cabinet last run. I'll be leaving two nodes, four growth tips, and will try to keep the canopy as even as possible.

Anyway.. it's probably not easy to visualise based on what I've just written.

I'm super excited about this run, y'all. And I'm glad to be past the fussier stages of veg.

:cheer: :ganjamon: :thumb::ciao:

Back
Top Bottom