Escape Velocities: Syenite's Stealth Miniatures

Late(r) veg update!

The girls aren't far from flip now. Things have been going smoothly!

(Clockwise from the top/back: Starkiller OG, Sour Bubba, Chem '91)
IMG_1599.jpeg

IMG_1600.jpeg

The only real variable I've had to keep an eye on has been the light intensity, which has resulted in some yellowing on top (with the lowers/older leaves green). As mentioned previously, I've really just had to trust what I've been seeing with my own eyes. No guidelines have helped, whether for wattage per square footage, or lux, or PPFD. Like, seriously, all the wattage/PPFD bros would be spitting at how little light I've been using for veg. These plants have required very little, and continue to stack nicely. Light stress is something that's affected my grows since the start, but it's taken me a while to properly diagnose it.

Why has it taken so long? Other variables keep getting in the way! The canopy height itself keeps changing, and I've also had to raise/lower the panels. So it's not just about dimming more or less. And then the plant's maturity also affects how much light it can handle. Things will be completely different again in flower. Additionally, there's the fact of the slow/long feedback loop. Dimming the lights one day doesn't yield immediate changes in the plants the next. There is a delay between making the changes and then observing their effects. I've really had to learn patience, in this.

Initially, all three plants were having the same issue, but I managed to find the sweet spot for the Chem in the cabinet, and feel I'm very close to nailing it for the SK and SB in the cardboard box. It's very odd - with this kind of yellowing, you can see the green creep back in once the lights have been lowered sufficiently, unlike the irreversible yellowing of N deficiency.

Cardboard box: Sour Bubba on the left, Starkiller OG on the right
IMG_1597.jpeg

Cabinet: Chem '91
IMG_1598.jpg

Training-wise, the flux-like (thank you @Stunger !) training has already yielded 12-14 tops on the SB and SK. This involved topping and pruning down to one node, training its branches out flat, and then letting the secondary growth along that branch rip. Very fast, very easy. In my mind it's virtually the "same" ease/benefits as quadlining, just a different shape.

A further issue has been the difference in growth rate between the SK and SB, with the former being a much faster grower. In the close up of the SK that follows, you can see I've followed @Carcass in using skewers and wire for tying down a few of the SK tops that have been shooting up, just to keep them as close as possible to the SB's in height .

The Chem '91 sees the menorah/candelabra training return, with two nodes being kept. While visually it yields a much more pleasing shape, it's definitely much slower and less space-efficient than the other method. This may be the last time I use this one!

Starkiller OG
IMG_1601.jpeg

Sour Bubba
IMG_1602.jpg

Chem '91
IMG_1603.jpg

Other little notes: I added the "halfway" mark to both boxes, and the canopies aren't far from that at all; also, I've finally hooked up both boxes to proper can filters with proper ducting.

Ready for flip!!! Bring it on!!!

:thanks: :cheer: :ganjamon: :surf:

Yes Sy, I didn't mean that, I would never have thought you were following anyone's approach but your own! :)

LOL no it's not that at all! Novelty's not important to me for its own sake. Just saying that I hadn't been referencing fluxing myself - no more, no less. Thank you for pointing it out! :thumb:

Definitely use the space well and make life a little easier at the same time. Looking good mate.

You know it, Vet! Cheers mate.

Your grow is so uniquely you :) :) :)

You mean neurotic and controlling??? :laugh::thanks:

LIVE PLANTS indeed! Looking good sy. :thumb:

Thanks for checking in on my LIVE PLANTS, Shed!! :Namaste::green_heart:

Nice update Sy :thumb:
I see what you mean about the sour bubba being slower in veg. Pretty symmetries to her though.
I’m excited to see how these go for you!
Funny, the light stress thing. Well done getting on top of that one. All about sussing out your kit, now you’ve made it. :high-five:
With your ducting linked up your VPDs will be on a dial now, no doubt. Good to see some permanence to the box/cabs.

Bringing on the meds :peace: :love:

You're an artist, man! Your girls are looking awesome :adore:

Late(r) veg update!

The girls aren't far from flip now. Things have been going smoothly!

(Clockwise from the top/back: Starkiller OG, Sour Bubba, Chem '91)
IMG_1599.jpeg

IMG_1600.jpeg

The only real variable I've had to keep an eye on has been the light intensity, which has resulted in some yellowing on top (with the lowers/older leaves green). As mentioned previously, I've really just had to trust what I've been seeing with my own eyes. No guidelines have helped, whether for wattage per square footage, or lux, or PPFD. Like, seriously, all the wattage/PPFD bros would be spitting at how little light I've been using for veg. These plants have required very little, and continue to stack nicely. Light stress is something that's affected my grows since the start, but it's taken me a while to properly diagnose it.

Why has it taken so long? Other variables keep getting in the way! The canopy height itself keeps changing, and I've also had to raise/lower the panels. So it's not just about dimming more or less. And then the plant's maturity also affects how much light it can handle. Things will be completely different again in flower. Additionally, there's the fact of the slow/long feedback loop. Dimming the lights one day doesn't yield immediate changes in the plants the next. There is a delay between making the changes and then observing their effects. I've really had to learn patience, in this.

Initially, all three plants were having the same issue, but I managed to find the sweet spot for the Chem in the cabinet, and feel I'm very close to nailing it for the SK and SB in the cardboard box. It's very odd - with this kind of yellowing, you can see the green creep back in once the lights have been lowered sufficiently, unlike the irreversible yellowing of N deficiency.

Cardboard box: Sour Bubba on the left, Starkiller OG on the right
IMG_1597.jpeg

Cabinet: Chem '91
IMG_1598.jpg

Training-wise, the flux-like (thank you @Stunger !) training has already yielded 12-14 tops on the SB and SK. This involved topping and pruning down to one node, training its branches out flat, and then letting the secondary growth along that branch rip. Very fast, very easy. In my mind it's virtually the "same" ease/benefits as quadlining, just a different shape.

A further issue has been the difference in growth rate between the SK and SB, with the former being a much faster grower. In the close up of the SK that follows, you can see I've followed @Carcass in using skewers and wire for tying down a few of the SK tops that have been shooting up, just to keep them as close as possible to the SB's in height .

The Chem '91 sees the menorah/candelabra training return, with two nodes being kept. While visually it yields a much more pleasing shape, it's definitely much slower and less space-efficient than the other method. This may be the last time I use this one!

Starkiller OG
IMG_1601.jpeg

Sour Bubba
IMG_1602.jpg

Chem '91
IMG_1603.jpg

Other little notes: I added the "halfway" mark to both boxes, and the canopies aren't far from that at all; also, I've finally hooked up both boxes to proper can filters with proper ducting.

Ready for flip!!! Bring it on!!!

:thanks: :cheer: :ganjamon: :surf:
Flip em good!

this kind of yellowing, you can see the green creep back in once the lights have been lowered sufficiently, unlike the irreversible yellowing of N deficiency.
:thumb: ive seen that indicator too :)

you know what you said about sour bubba being slow veg’? well, yes. That was tru of mine too (pretty sure it’s a bubba thing), BUT! mine stretched quite a bit (2-3x) so you might flip when the faster veg one is ready and find that the SB over takes it. I can’t say for sure, but the way you’ve topped and trained, you very likely have a beautiful rootball going on already so I wouldn’t worry too much about pushing the veg time for the Sour B. There were some other grows of it around here too, I wonder if other folks found it stretched a lot.

It’s a micro wonderland in here, Sy! :love:

Nice update Sy :thumb:
I see what you mean about the sour bubba being slower in veg. Pretty symmetries to her though.
I’m excited to see how these go for you!
Funny, the light stress thing. Well done getting on top of that one. All about sussing out your kit, now you’ve made it. :high-five:
With your ducting linked up your VPDs will be on a dial now, no doubt. Good to see some permanence to the box/cabs.

Bringing on the meds :peace: :love:

Cheers DD! Bring it on!

RH will be a constant concern during flower, but, hey, what's new? :ganjamon:

Great stuff Sy, they're looking a picture of health and pretty while at it!

Thank you Stunger!

You're an artist, man! Your girls are looking awesome :adore:

Thank you for the kind words, Carcass! Love your work also. :thanks:

Flip em good!

Flip em hard!

:thumb: ive seen that indicator too :)

you know what you said about sour bubba being slow veg’? well, yes. That was tru of mine too (pretty sure it’s a bubba thing), BUT! mine stretched quite a bit (2-3x) so you might flip when the faster veg one is ready and find that the SB over takes it. I can’t say for sure, but the way you’ve topped and trained, you very likely have a beautiful rootball going on already so I wouldn’t worry too much about pushing the veg time for the Sour B. There were some other grows of it around here too, I wonder if other folks found it stretched a lot.

It’s a micro wonderland in here, Sy! :love:

Great insight into the SB, Amy, much appreciated! Yes I think any day now.

Timing the flip is always a stressful decision in these tiny spaces!

Every grow is a study in the fine art of cannabis bonsai! There's great artistry in that training.

Nice work sorting out the light issue, as that could certainly become a bigger problem in spaces that size. :thumb:

Thank you Shed! There's a lot of beauty in/from these constraints :hookah:

Sye your journal is easily one of my favourites to read.

I have been wondering, did everything fall into place for you personally and professionally?

High praise Tra, thank you! :Namaste::green_heart:

You're very kind to ask. I've basically been dicking around for the past three months: gardening of course, some compulsive gaming that I am only now emerging from, and trying to do the bulk of the chores around the house!

It took me a good amount of time to feel "recovered" from my past gig, and only after that was properly able to enjoy the time off.

I'm heading back to work with some different folks in a couple of weeks. In a much more relaxed capacity! They are great people; I've worked with them before. The hours are pretty great, too. :thumb:

Flip time!

Sour Bubba and Starkiller OG (SOB and SKOG) have been transitioned into 12-12. :thumb:

IMG_1637.jpeg

IMG_1631.jpeg

It's funny, I feel all it takes is a single 12-hour shift of darkness for the plants to "know" it.

Starkiller OG

The most spectacular looking of the bunch, I've teased it into a pleasing shape.

IMG_1632.jpg

IMG_1633.jpg

Sour Bubba

Definitely behind SKOG in growth, but I'm most excited about smoking this one.

IMG_1636.jpeg

IMG_1634.jpg

Both plants are looking great and I'm more obsessed with them than ever! I think the training approach has been very successful. Fast, easy, effective. Aesthetically satisfying.

The Chem '91 (in the cabinet) is a week or so from flip.

Fun times, friends, fun times!

:thanks::ganjamon::yummy:

Back
Top Bottom