Ex-NBA Commissioner David Stern Says Marijuana Should No Longer Be Banned

Ron Strider

Former NBA commissioner David Stern says he's in favor of removing marijuana from the league's list of banned substances.

Stern, who oversaw the league from 1984 through 2014 and is credited with its explosion in popularity over that span both domestically and internationally, made the statement in a documentary produced by former NBA player Al Harrington, who has become a cannabis entrepreneur since retiring in 2015.

"I'm now at the point where, personally, I think [marijuana] probably should be removed from the ban list," Stern said. "I think there is universal agreement that marijuana for medical purposes should be completely legal."

Stern, who instituted and enforced harsh policies with respect to marijuana use while serving as commissioner, defended the policies of his tenure, saying: "Some of our players came to us and said [players] were high coming into the game, so we began tightening it up."

But the 75-year-old acknowledges that times have changed, noting the legality of marijuana in Alaska, California, Colorado, Maine, Massachusetts, Nevada, Oregon and Washington.

"It's a completely different perception," Stern said. "I think we have to change the collective bargaining agreement and let you do what is legal in your state. If marijuana is now in the process of being legalized, I think you should be allowed to do what's legal in your state.

"So now I think it's up to the sports leagues to anticipate where this is going and maybe lead the way."

In August, the NFL finally took a step toward reversing a long-held refusal to acknowledge medical cannabis as a legitimate option for pain management when it sent a letter to the NFL Players Association offering to collaborate on research into the potential use of cannabis for medical rehabilitation.

"I think we have a lot more to learn about that," said Allen Sills, a Vanderbilt University neurosurgeon installed as the NFL's chief medical officer in March, told the Washington Post. "Certainly the research about marijuana and really more particularly cannabinoid compounds as they may relate to the treatment of both acute and chronic pain, that is an area of research that we need a lot more information on and we need to further develop."

NBA_Davis_Stern_-_Getty_Images.jpg

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Ex-NBA commissioner David Stern says marijuana should no longer be banned | Sport | The Guardian
Photo Credit: Getty Images
Website: News, sport and opinion from the Guardian's US edition | The Guardian

Back
Top Bottom