Exceptionally High FECO Yields

off line
Over the weekend we had a holiday at my son's over in Hoosier country. He manages the barn on a ritzy horse farm, living in an amazing setting. After a big feast some of us ventured out to the shed for a bit of smoke. I proudly tossed my son a wonderful OGGSC flower I had specially selected for the occasion. I paid little mind as he set about grinding and rolling except teasing his dependence on a rolling machine. When the bone got to me after several compliments were accepted on the flavor, I took a giant hit. Sorta like finding a cigarette butt in the can of beer you are chugging, shit went flying out of my lungs and mouth. WTF My son looked startled saying whats wrong? I choked out a +What are we smoking ?"

He sheepishly handed me a pack of menthol saturated rolling papers. Why would... Now I know what a cook feels watching someone pour katsup on their meatloaf. Menthol, really?

@Maritimer
My first joint in the summer of 64` was rolled with strawberry papers. Of course it was $10 Mexican dirt weed.
You need to buy that boy a pipe or some good rolling papers, :)
:passitleft:

Ahoy 420,
I want to get some input on a problem I have been tracking in my grows. On a private spreadsheet I keep a fairly detailed synopsis of each grow, and each time I have a significant under-performer. In describing what I normally consider a slacker, it has become apparent I find a number of easy and plausible avenues of blame shifting. This could be me avoiding the elephant in the room, or just bad luck kicking me around. Perhaps if I got better at what I should do?

Things I know I should do better.

Clean and disinfect. Cleaner is better in my book.

Get thorough runoff each fertigation. Lazy boy, lazy boy!

Cutting on any plant for any reason requires proper planning and equipment. I am dangerous tugging on stuff.

Fertigation solutions must be mixed consistently and correctly for each cultivar and do not, repeat do not blend solutions to use up bottles. Yep, all the time. Bad.

Lollipopping and defoliation to be controlled and precise, and with correct equipment. Gloves, surgical sheers, ect.

Fix these and maybe we do better. :) But really, a problem child every grow.

I thought it was CBD that was a brain protector, and that the NFL is/was looking at it for concussions. I hadn't heard the same about THC, though there's no discounting the improvement your patient is seeing!

Just wanted to say that 6 grams is too high for a 30 day old plant. I'm thinking 4 - 4.5 depending on its size. Which changes the other ingredient measurements as well.

HERE is the article I was referring to for THC's, and CBD's for that matter, brain protecting abilities. CBD may give her the same benefits but I don't have a supply of high CBD strains.

I'll feed 5mg as early as day 21, and 6mg at day 30. Again, that's the soonest. I'll judge how the plant is looking. For an auto, @ 30 days, the plant could very well be moving into flower at that point and it's looking for the increase. For photos I'm probably gonna hold them at 5 until I decide to flip them.

HERE is the article I was referring to for THC's, and CBD's for that matter, brain protecting abilities. CBD may give her the same benefits but I don't have a supply of high CBD strains.

I'll feed 5mg as early as day 21, and 6mg at day 30. Again, that's the soonest. I'll judge how the plant is looking. For an auto, @ 30 days, the plant could very well be moving into flower at that point and it's looking for the increase. For photos I'm probably gonna hold them at 5 until I decide to flip them.
Great find on the article! Looks like a good blend would be best if you have it on hand, but what she's noshing on now seems to be having a very positive effect.

I wasn't thinking about autos when I said the 6.0 was high for 30 days. My autos are at least a week into flower at that point so 6.0 would be perfect ;).

Great find on the article! Looks like a good blend would be best if you have it on hand, but what she's noshing on now seems to be having a very positive effect.

I wasn't thinking about autos when I said the 6.0 was high for 30 days. My autos are at least a week into flower at that point so 6.0 would be perfect ;).

Most I ever had was some Painkiller XL from RQS that was 1:1. It might have been good to try, but it's long gone into some topicals. Noone was a fan of it so I never grew more. It also grew very tall which was problematic in my small tent.

Where a plant is at 30 days is a matter of perspective. You predominantly grow photos and veg them a long time. I predominantly grow autos. So our natural tendency is to relate them to what we normally experience at that time frame.

Ahoy 420,
I want to get some input on a problem I have been tracking in my grows. On a private spreadsheet I keep a fairly detailed synopsis of each grow, and each time I have a significant under-performer. In describing what I normally consider a slacker, it has become apparent I find a number of easy and plausible avenues of blame shifting. This could be me avoiding the elephant in the room, or just bad luck kicking me around. Perhaps if I got better at what I should do?

Things I know I should do better.

Clean and disinfect. Cleaner is better in my book.

Get thorough runoff each fertigation. Lazy boy, lazy boy!

Cutting on any plant for any reason requires proper planning and equipment. I am dangerous tugging on stuff.

Fertigation solutions must be mixed consistently and correctly for each cultivar and do not, repeat do not blend solutions to use up bottles. Yep, all the time. Bad.

Lollipopping and defoliation to be controlled and precise, and with correct equipment. Gloves, surgical sheers, ect.

Fix these and maybe we do better. :) But really, a problem child every grow.

For cutting on plants, I try to accomplish the most I possibly can in veg where the stress does not translate to loss of yield. I try to restrain myself until I know she's growing vigorously and making evident progrss that I know she's in good shape and can handle the sparring session. I aim to accomplish that which I'd be doing later on after the stretch in bloom, so as much of that post stretch pruning I can defer to veg, the better. This requires some fore thought, but it's simple really, take off the lower branches that I know won't amount to much. And where I stop taking off the sides, I then remove the smaller side branches from the lower sets to clean up the center. When all of this is done in veg if possible, after the stretch in bloom, it's great if I only need to take not more than just a few branches, but if I'm lucky, I can skip taking any in bloom which makes for a great bloom run. As far as defol, I personally don't ever defol unless leaves are dying and about to drop anyways, but if after a gentle tug the leaf doesn't comes off, I leave it on until it's ready a day or so later.

As far as fertigation dosing, a few years back I designed most of a hydroponics controller and have ready to go code to run 8 peristaltic pumps which can dose fairly accurately which I presume might be helpful to what you're trying to do. I'm by no means an experienced coder, but I did spend a couple years pushing myself along exercising the "fake it till ya make it" mantra, and well, I made it, lol. I spent almost $200 for actual dosing pump modules, but you can get little cheap doser pump and motors from amazon for like $10 each. If you can do a little soldering, the control circuit isn't all that difficult to assemble with the correct parts that I can lead you to along with a pictorial schematic. But once all hooked up, it must be connected to the internet via ethernet cable, and with a free app, you can interface with the pumps remotely over your droid or iphone. This topic in and of itself can be quite extensive, so I'll just leave it there and if you want to discuss it further we can.

I am seeing indicators these cali orange clones were from the fast flowering pheno we took down first and a bit early. That blows, if it is the case. The GSC monster clones are entering bloom and look happy. The treated plant was smaller than the control plant.

As far as defol, I personally don't ever defol unless leaves are dying and about to drop anyways, but if after a gentle tug the leaf doesn't comes off, I leave it on until it's ready a day or so later.
/QUOTE]
I never did "strategic defoliating" until I watched the video of your mentor you provided us describing when, where and why he gives the flowers the benefit of leaf plucking. I had previously never engaged sharp tools after stretch. Do you suggest I reconsider this practice? I do not pluck leaves just because they are plentiful. I do try and keep the underside pretty tidy. And thanks for such a detailed reply. I am learning from some of the best.

btw I hope your cookies do for you what mine are doing for me and survivor. Wow, is it nice.

btw I hope your cookies do for you what mine are doing for me and survivor. Wow, is it nice.

Thanks man. So far, she's growing vigorously, about twice as fast as the Ayahuasca Purples are. I hope the GSC stacks well.

MeJA Study Update;

The first plant we treated with 100 ppm. meja on flower day 40. This cultivar flowered longer than expected and harvest weights suggest our largest single plant yield will be shattered. The buds were separated from the branches and stems today after hanging for 72 hours. They are now in the shed (cardboard box with lid) as we monitor the dropping r/h. The terpene expression is very strong, and pleasant enough the wife is not raising too much hell about it. Moved the shed upstairs for lower humidity. Skunky, she would have ejected it back to the basement.

The second plant we treated with 100 ppm. meja on flower day 30. The plant is in flower and nearing the end of her bloom as indicated by pistil retraction. The control clone that is our comparison plant has been a bastard to LST. She wants to curl up in a sticky mess. I took aggressive countermeasures today that should bring positive results. Both plants were short time veg mode so the diminutive size was expected. Yield projections look for meja treated plant to drop 3 oscars, control plant 1.5 oscars.

The third plant we treated with 100 ppm meja on flower day 11. The plant is a monster clone and is coming into bloom while stretching. This plant was selected as the smaller of the two monster clones to give us more perspective. The larger monster clone looks to be a perfect match as a control plant and we look forward to discussing the results.

I will update the study at significant milestones, but not with any frequency.
I have much to learn.

Cheers

Initial smoke report post MeJA;
Cali Orange strain meja study @ fd40.
The first bone of the morning is as close as I get to being able to judge the smoke and stone. Otherwise, I am already under the influence so to speak. The flowers are above average (for my garden) in size and covered in long red and other color hairs. Reminds me of an eighties strain out west called "California red hair" but the buds are not dense and heavy. These are fluffy and light. Trying to put a half ounce in a regular pint mason jar will not work unless you smash the stuff. Hard hitting, or said different a bit untamed and a large hit triggers a cough reflex. Yes, I know the smoke is not cured yet. The buzz must be getting it done as I keep having to stop typing and look around for the missing bone. That has happened 3 times in this short post. Yep, she is a stoner. :)

The first question I had has been answered. Will the meja induced crop get me stoned? YES.
more testing to follow. This is big first step IMO.

Initial smoke report post MeJA;
Cali Orange strain meja study @ fd40.
The first bone of the morning is as close as I get to being able to judge the smoke and stone. Otherwise, I am already under the influence so to speak. The flowers are above average (for my garden) in size and covered in long red and other color hairs. Reminds me of an eighties strain out west called "California red hair" but the buds are not dense and heavy. These are fluffy and light. Trying to put a half ounce in a regular pint mason jar will not work unless you smash the stuff. Hard hitting, or said different a bit untamed and a large hit triggers a cough reflex. Yes, I know the smoke is not cured yet. The buzz must be getting it done as I keep having to stop typing and look around for the missing bone. That has happened 3 times in this short post. Yep, she is a stoner. :)

The first question I had has been answered. Will the meja induced crop get me stoned? YES.
more testing to follow. This is big first step IMO.
High Maritimer! Good going man.

High Maritimer! Good going man.
Good morning Stone, How goes the drying and stuff? My desk has three quart masons on it now with lids open. Nice way to clutter a desk. LOL

Good morning Maritimer and Stone! Hey SO, I saw a really good post by Doc Bud yesterday on the Brix thread that delved into soil voltage in relation to how much to dry out the soil that you should read. Paraphrasing, it was said to not let the soil get too dry because then soil voltage drops and the cations will more easily fall deeper into the soil which is counter productive. I'm butchering the hell out of it, but that post followed by the discussion with the brixers that ensued generally left me with that impression.

Doc Bud: High Brix Q&A With Pictures

Hi Sky,
I was hoping to pick your brain a bit in relation to my meja studies. I have a log jam getting ready to happen in my flower area because I am not going to use my personal plants for this until proven more safe and effective. Keeps the wife a little quieter. Anyhow, I will be cleaning up my B-61 grow plants and the possibility exists for us to take clones. I will not have a flower bed for them, but we could still design studies using Northern Lights and GSC clones where we would apply the jazz real early and see what happens. Your thoughts my friend, would be appreciated.

I'm not learned enough to predict any possible outcome other than to say that I'm lead to believe that MeJA will be most effective when the treatment(s) are sprayed timely in bloom. My reading suggests that jasmonic acid is what triggers the growing of more trics as a defense, so to spray the MeJa weeks/months in advance I don't believe would have a meaningful result. When I get around to getting some MeJa, I was intending to spray once or twice at full strength more or less around week 4-5, but I hope that you are able to flesh out what is ideal and when prior to my order so I don't have to be the crash tester, lol.

The JA signaling will have different impacts in concert (not solo) with other phyto levels. JA can be a growth inhibitor and a growth promoter depending on the other ques. We will play with seeds, roots, leaves and flowers in our quest to go boldly where no other stoner goes, to explore LOL I can't remember all the startreck stuff. Dammit Jim.

Back
Top Bottom