Exceptionally High FECO Yields

Maritimer

High Full Extract Cannabis Oil (FECO) Yields
Putting this out without fear of being incorrect because I am not sure of what might be actually going on. Making third batch of FECO noticed huge return developing during vaporization of grain alcohol solvent. Ended up with 16 grams of medicine from 100 Grams of GG#4 flowers.
When I grew the Gorilla plants, I followed Dr. Kaplans drought stress experiment in the 7th week of flower that was part of a grow journal here on 420. The journal was incomplete due to my surgery but outlines attaining 50 degrees of leaf wilt angle during late flower. This stress causes the plants to overproduce THC and CBD. We need the smart folks to see this thread.
Did the application of drought stress induced beginning the 7th week of flower account for the drastic improvement in yield? This could be a huge reduction in the costs of FECO treatment if indeed this stress produces that much more medicine.
Medicine is not flammable, very sticky, very sedative, but due to costs not laboratory tested . UG
All thoughts are welcome

This is a trip. I was walking the dog explaining to him I now know how Rick Simpson felt when he thought he discovered a cure for cancer only to find out nobody wanted to hear about it. I’m jumping up and down here saying we can greatly improve our FECO yields following Dr. Caplans experiment thereby greatly lowering patient costs and I get the feeling folks think I have a few loose screws. I need to get this info to a well-known member for discussion and greater potential exposure. This could help a lot of people find affordable options. SweetSue or another articulate person that could run this up the ladder of attention.

@Graytail, @neikodog, @Amy Gardner, @InTheShed , @MagicJim, @Ganjagrowergu , @beez0404 , @Happy Hemper, @Amadeus Forzin, @Oldbear, @Bode, @Buck5050, @BrixNewb, @overlord.

That’s all I could think of off the top of my head.

This is important for us to catch. Maritimer serendipitously stumbled onto the timing for increased glandular production. We’ve been tossing this idea around casually for a couple years, and it may be time to focus and fine tune. Neiko shared that he’s seen this happen in his garden, and shares my belief that this is worth our attention.

I’d like to find out if it’s strain-dependent, and find out which ones don’t respond, as well as which ones do best. I think we’re capable of that, in the very least.

Let’s spread the word, and see how much we can learn. :circle-of-love:

Senescence can be triggered multiple ways.

Most growers flush. Some growers leave the plants in total darkness for a period of time before harvesting. I know and old outdoor growers who would stop watering for a week.

A stop in feeding or watering would start the same hormone changes in the plant that the other methods provide.

I usually feed with water to trigger this. I use hydroponic nutrients and I want the water to push the synthetics out of the medium. I suspect if I stop feeding instead of using water in the last weeks of flower that traces of those synthetics would be locked up inside the plant and medium. Would that translate into the oil? I am not sure.

Senescence can be triggered multiple ways.

Most growers flush. Some growers leave the plants in total darkness for a period of time before harvesting. I know and old outdoor growers who would stop watering for a week.

A stop in feeding or watering would start the same hormone changes in the plant that the other methods provide.

I usually feed with water to trigger this. I use hydroponic nutrients and I want the water to push the synthetics out of the medium. I suspect if I stop feeding instead of using water in the last weeks of flower that traces of those synthetics would be locked up inside the plant and medium. Would that translate into the oil? I am not sure.

I’d figure that the production of essential oils in the trichomes glands won’t include any spare additions. It’s a system pretty fully evolved, to my understanding.

Depriving them of water is a simple way to ramp up the plant’s survival methods. It’s not senescence we’re promoting with this idea, it’s glandular production.

@Maritimer, I realize this is your thread, and if it makes you uncomfortable to have me walk through the door and begin to take over you have only to express that idea and I’ll step back and let you take the lead. I have no ego I’ll allow to be wounded. :laughtwo:

@Maritimer, I realize this is your thread, and if it makes you uncomfortable to have me walk through the door and begin to take over you have only to express that idea and I’ll step back and let you take the lead. I have no ego I’ll allow to be wounded. :laughtwo:
judging from the op’s ‘2nd post’, i think this is what he was after lol

Hi Sue,

I don't have anything currently running, want to become legal now that is a possibility. only problem is that I need medical records, which are 30 years old and in another state. With no insurance it may be a minute.

I think this would be hard to do in an octopot, which of course always has a supply of water. When things click in place though, I would give it a shot, from his description this method is pretty much the same thing an old hippie grower told me many years ago. Maybe not as technical with the 50 degrees and so forth, but the same stress theory all in all.

He swore by it, which at the time I found as odd since everyone else was preaching perfect plants. Couldn't deny his results though..
Have to work, am watching this thread for now.

Hi everyone, Im having trouble finding Caplans experiments now but I had copied his conclusion to a word document, but I will find the link. Below is what caught my eyes.
Doctor Caplan
Cannabinoid concentration and yield in the dry floral material of cannabis exposed to drought stress at week seven in the flowering stage. T
Conclusions
This study suggested that controlled drought stress can increase the concentration of major cannabinoids THCA, CBDA and the yield of THCA, CBDA, THC, and CBD in chemovar II cannabis without reducing dry floral weight (yield) and irrespective of decreased Pn. These results were achieved by gradually drying the substrate over eleven days until plant WP reached around -1.5 MPa during week seven in the flowering stage. Comparable results can be expected using leaf wilting as a drought stress indicator with fertigation triggered at a leaf angle 50% higher than in its turgid state. This method for administering drought-stress and the results of this study should be applicable for similar varieties of chemovar II cannabis; however, other chemovars or varieties may respond differently.
Yield in the control was 178 ± 9.4 g·m-2 and was 232 ± 18.5 g·m-2 in the drought treatment but yield did not differ statistically between the two treatments (P = 0.06; n = 3). The moisture content of the dried and cured floral material was 8 ± 0.1 % in the control, 11% lower than that in the drought treatment, at 9 ± 0.1 % (P = 0.01; n = 3). Henceforward, the floral dry weight and cannabinoid contents are corrected to zero percent moisture.
Of the analyzed cannabinoids, all were detected in at least one sample, these included: THC, THCA, CBD, CBDA, CBG, CBGA, and CBN. In the drought treatment, only one sample had a detectable concentration of CBG and CBN, and in the control there were no samples with detectable CBN; therefore, comparisons could not be made for these cannabinoids, and the means for CBN were not presented.
The drought treatment elicited a 12% increase in THCA concentration and a 13% increase in CBDA concentration but had no effect on the concentrations of the other detected cannabinoids Drought had substantial effects on cannabinoid yield, expressed as grams of cannabinoid from floral material per unit growing area (g·m-2). In the drought treatment, THC yield was 50% higher, THCA yield was 43% higher, CBD yield was 67% higher, and CBDA yield was 47% higher than in the control

High Full Extract Cannabis Oil (FECO) Yields
Putting this out without fear of being incorrect because I am not sure of what might be actually going on. Making third batch of FECO noticed huge return developing during vaporization of grain alcohol solvent. Ended up with 16 grams of medicine from 100 Grams of GG#4 flowers.
When I grew the Gorilla plants, I followed Dr. Kaplans drought stress experiment in the 7th week of flower that was part of a grow journal here on 420. The journal was incomplete due to my surgery but outlines attaining 50 degrees of leaf wilt angle during late flower. This stress causes the plants to overproduce THC and CBD. We need the smart folks to see this thread.
Did the application of drought stress induced beginning the 7th week of flower account for the drastic improvement in yield? This could be a huge reduction in the costs of FECO treatment if indeed this stress produces that much more medicine.
Medicine is not flammable, very sticky, very sedative, but due to costs not laboratory tested . UG
All thoughts are welcome

Thanks for sharing this.

Having read the summary above I’m wondering ....

The figures presented are grams of goodies per square meter.

To get the results posted it could be more buds, bigger buds, and/or a higher concentration of cannabinoids per bud.

It’s not amount of cannabinoids per weight of buds. (Which reminds me that there is no standard of the moisture content of buds when the cannabinoids content is measured. So my thc percent climbs if the bud is dryer)

What all this means no idea.

This will be a fun one to watch.

I think this would be hard to do in an octopot, which of course always has a supply of water. When things click in place though, I would give it a shot, from his description this method is pretty much the same thing an old hippie grower told me many years ago. Maybe not as technical with the 50 degrees and so forth, but the same stress theory all in all.

He swore by it, which at the time I found as odd since everyone else was preaching perfect plants. Couldn't deny his results though..
Have to work, am watching this thread for now.
[/QUOTE]
Being a old hippie now, it makes me smile when the expression is used. The old hippies that were teaching me back then have surely since morphed into CBD. :peace:

Back
Top Bottom