Exceptionally High FECO Yields

@Graytail, @neikodog, @Amy Gardner, @InTheShed , @MagicJim, @Ganjagrowergu , @beez0404 , @Happy Hemper, @Amadeus Forzin, @Oldbear, @Bode, @Buck5050, @BrixNewb, @overlord.

That’s all I could think of off the top of my head.

This is important for us to catch. Maritimer serendipitously stumbled onto the timing for increased glandular production. We’ve been tossing this idea around casually for a couple years, and it may be time to focus and fine tune. Neiko shared that he’s seen this happen in his garden, and shares my belief that this is worth our attention.

I’d like to find out if it’s strain-dependent, and find out which ones don’t respond, as well as which ones do best. I think we’re capable of that, in the very least.

Let’s spread the word, and see how much we can learn. :circle-of-love:

I can commit to a northern lights auto test in a few weeks. Well unless some critter eats them. Lol

I can commit to a northern lights auto test in a few weeks. Well unless some critter eats them. Lol
I am growing a Sativa called Forest Dream by Dutch Passion that starts week 7 of flower tomorrow with a set of clones 4 weeks behind. Plan to stress both sets of crop and will document all. Oldbear, FYI my grow journal on the drought stress experiment using NL and GG#4 showed me the NL held up to stress far better than the GG4, at least in physical apperance. And the NL rebounded from 11 days of drought in less than 24 hours. The GG4 showed thirsty way sooner than the NL in identical medium compositions. NL and GG were Feminized but not auto.

Thanks for sharing this.

Having read the summary above I’m wondering ....

The figures presented are grams of goodies per square meter.

To get the results posted it could be more buds, bigger buds, and/or a higher concentration of cannabinoids per bud.

It’s not amount of cannabinoids per weight of buds. (Which reminds me that there is no standard of the moisture content of buds when the cannabinoids content is measured. So my thc percent climbs if the bud is dryer)

What all this means no idea.

This will be a fun one to watch.

This was my first thought, too. I've known for quite some time that stress in late bloom will cause denser trich production. (I'm an old hippie). But I always suspected it was because there was less plant material, so the concentration is higher, but the yield is lower.

But the study specifically says that dry yield was equal, AND cannabinoid yield per sq meter was higher from drought stressed plants.

Very interesting.

THC yield was 50% higher, THCA yield was 43% higher, CBD yield was 67% higher, and CBDA yield was 47% higher than in the control
Someone would have to prove that to me. Those numbers are pretty extraordinary in my mind.

Very. Ok equal dry weight suggests that more or bigger buds are not in play here. So it’s all about the amount of cannabinoids only

Is there a link somewhere to the original study ? I’m in the bush at the very edge of cell service and on a phone. Can’t go searching.

I’d figure that the production of essential oils in the trichomes glands won’t include any spare additions. It’s a system pretty fully evolved, to my understanding.

Depriving them of water is a simple way to ramp up the plant’s survival methods. It’s not senescence we’re promoting with this idea, it’s glandular production.
I think this method does promote senescence. The glandular production is a byproduct of just that. But I am no scientist. I just grow weed and smoke flower.

You do have indoor plumbing, yes?

There was a mention a page back about getting synthetic nutrients out of the buds, but I don't want to distract from the conversation about drought effect on cannabinoid production.

Gotcha.

I grow in ground outdoors from seeds and would like to test this out. There are always phenotypic differences-once again for 3 GG4 plants so I've got genetic differences that potentially confound a study, and likely location differences as well. I see how clones in pots could work but is there any way to study with my set up?

I grow a lot and give most away so the answer's more academic but I have wondered about such stressing over the years. So Oldbear's advice not to worry it works for me too.

I second your response, Oldgrowth. I grow similar to you, except I only grow during the summer (up North). I was wondering if anyone could brainstorm how to drought stress in the ground on a low budget. I'm resolved to staying the way it is right now. Just wondering (as is the gentleman before me) how to go about this. Thanks. Cheers

Thank you shed, that's an idea I can play with. I can put something down to chanel the rainwater away. Yeah, the roots get as big in the ground as the branches (leaves, etc), and they usually get pretty big.

Oldbear - If I was a plant in drought, I'd send roots as deep as I could. Yeah, if no water can be found, they'll dry up and die. I would guess most stoners wouldn't let that happen. Ah, the ultimate gamble on stash, finding the line between seriously stressing your ladies, and killing them. I'm not risky, that way!! Cheers

Back
Top Bottom