Exceptionally High FECO Yields

I saw you mentioned earlier that Caplan was the problem. Is he a fraud or something? I just got back from vacation and trying to get caught up around home.

Oh no the problem I was referring to was searching Kaplan instead of Caplan.

I have a copy of the entire study and two others as well also written by Caplan but it is 158 pages and is on my computer in an AVG document file. I cannot figure how to convert it to a word document so I could upload it. Not sure, can we even upload a file like that so everyone could see it? The other two experiments cover optimal ferilization rates and cutting sucess rates for cloning with and without root hormone. Good stuff if I can share it.
Can you open the file and pdf it? Not sure what an AVG document file is though.

I think he (Caplan) changed it to research sites I do not have access to. I have it on my computer, plus two other of his experiments but cant figure out how to post it or upload it somehow. 158 page pdf that my computer calls a AVG hotmail document, whatever that is. This blows cause I really want to share this stuff I found from his thesis. He even had a you tube video that I have not looked for, but that was free and online about a year ago.

There’s money to be made, and suddenly information is hidden behind paywalls. :straightface:

Sorry, that was rudely judgemental.

Here is the TOC from the hidden thesis via some copy and paste.
Acknowledgements ................................................................................................................... 29
References ................................................................................................................................. 30
Chapter Three: Optimal rate of organic fertilizer during the vegetative stage for cannabis grown in two coir-based substrates ........................................................................................... 34
Abstract ..................................................................................................................................... 34
Introduction ............................................................................................................................... 35
Materials and Methods .............................................................................................................. 37
Plant culture and treatments .................................................................................................. 37
Growth and yield measurements ........................................................................................... 41
Substrate EC and pH measurement....................................................................................... 41
Floral cannabinoid analysis................................................................................................... 41
Statistical analysis ................................................................................................................. 42
Results ....................................................................................................................................... 42
Growth .................................................................................................................................. 42
Yield ...................................................................................................................................... 44
Cannabinoids......................................................................................................................... 45
Substrate EC and pH ............................................................................................................. 47
Discussion ................................................................................................................................. 49
Conclusions ............................................................................................................................... 52
Acknowledgements ................................................................................................................... 52
References ................................................................................................................................. 53
Chapter Four: Optimal rate of organic fertilizer during the flowering stage for cannabis grown in two coir-based substrates ........................................................................................... 57
Abstract ..................................................................................................................................... 57
Introduction ............................................................................................................................... 58
Materials and Methods .............................................................................................................. 60
Plant culture .......................................................................................................................... 60
Treatments............................................................................................................................. 61
Substrate EC and pH measurement....................................................................................... 65
Growth and yield measurements ........................................................................................... 65
Floral cannabinoid analysis................................................................................................... 65
Statistical analysis ................................................................................................................. 66

I think you meant: "What a wonderful day's challenge to find a way to access this information somewhere else on the internet!"

:laughtwo: I love the way you keep me honest Shed. :kisstwo:

I second your response, Oldgrowth. I grow similar to you, except I only grow during the summer (up North). I was wondering if anyone could brainstorm how to drought stress in the ground on a low budget. I'm resolved to staying the way it is right now. Just wondering (as is the gentleman before me) how to go about this. Thanks. Cheers

Plant in an area that doesn’t get good water. We tend to look for the plots where we’ll get big, beautiful plants that never look stressed. Vary from that tendency and look the property over for those spaces you’d previously have considered marginal.

Alternatively you could use raised beds and be lazy about watering.

Just a couple ideas as I catch up on what I’ve missed. :hug:

I thought there was a specific significance to week 7 flower development, and there probably is to the specific strain they tested it on. How is this then applied universally?

I’d almost bet my life that the experiment was based on an 8 week flowering period using an indica. That suggests a need to shift that schedule with a longer-blooming varietal, doesn’t it? With a typical 8-week schedule the plant is nearly fully mature. That wouldn’t be the case with a lovely sativa. :battingeyelashes:

Interesting.....

I’d almost bet my life that the experiment was based on an 8 week flowering period using an indica. That suggests a need to shift that schedule with a longer-blooming varietal, doesn’t it? With a typical 8-week schedule the plant is nearly fully mature. That wouldn’t be the case with a lovely sativa. :battingeyelashes:

Oldbear has posted the goods. Your point about typical flowering periods is noted and my current grow is Sativa so the challenge will be in the timing. I will be using the LWA target of 50* of wilt on two cultivars while the others (control plants) will receive normal fertigation. The monster plant under LED in the previous pictures is not part of the experiment as we only have one plant and therefore no control plant to compare against. We are stressing her anyways because we want the added glandular production we expect, but cannot call her data empirically sound.

I recently (yesterday) harvested a Sensi Northern Lights that I took to 9 weeks of flower. From the beginning of week 7 until the end of the 9th week she only got watered 2 or 3 times when normally I would have watered 7-14 times.

The Sensi NL is not a remarkably frosty variety and only offers me one phenotype (packs a fine punch). I CAN'T say I noticed more frost with drought stress. What I did notice at harvest was that her terpene profile was way more pronounced than either of the two previous Sensi NLs I have grown which were bland in comparison. Buds were oily vs frosty.

Just some observations I thought I might share here where people aren't afraid to let their pots dry up.

:hookah:

Thank you very much, Oldbear!! I'll read through this and hopefully up my game, lol. Can't hurt. Thanks again. Cheers

I am trying to gain some user acumen navigating our forums here on this great site. Not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to the new technologies, it took me years to learn cut and paste. Anyhow I noticed this thread I started in the grower’s lounge has been moved to a different place called Concentrates, and now I wonder if it should be in a grow journal as my immediate goals are focused on stressing cultivars and growing conditions that allow for increased THC production. This is day 6 of thirst and the wilt angles are just beginning to show. Should I have a separate journal covering my current experimental grow?

I recently (yesterday) harvested a Sensi Northern Lights that I took to 9 weeks of flower. From the beginning of week 7 until the end of the 9th week she only got watered 2 or 3 times when normally I would have watered 7-14 times.

The Sensi NL and is not a remarkably frosty variety and only offers me one phenotype (packs a fine punch). I CAN'T say I noticed more frost with drought stress. What I did notice at harvest was that her terpene profile was way more pronounced than either of the two previous Sensi NLs I have grown which were bland in comparison. Buds were oily vs frosty.

Just some observations I thought I might share here where people aren't afraid to let their pots dry up.

:hookah:
Congratulations on your grow. All grows, complete and harvested are to be commended. A lot can happen in four months. I am not sure the frostiness indicator you speak of can be quantified to our use but it sure as sugar put a smile on my face. What a cool expression! In my first experiment the NL that I used was very drought resistant at least compared to GG4. The GG started showing stress after missing the first fertigation and reached 52* LWA in 8 days, meanwhile the NL looked thirsty and was wilting but never got to 50* LWA and they went 11 days without anything. Both strains I tested recovered very quickly.

I have a 32oz hempy container whose hole is too close to the bottom. These plants are always drought stressed in flower because it requires daily feeding and the others go every other day. I keep using the container, not sure why. I know I am never dissatisfied with the plants that grow out of it. Lemme see if I can find a 2nd example.

First example hasn't been harvested yet
This second one finished in 49 days. Appears be a good candidate for FECO/RSO

Back
Top Bottom