Exhaust fan - Intake and carbon filter

Ooh buddy. If there's any portion of the house that has air conditioning I would strongly suggest trying to setup near that and pulling air in from there. Insulating the ceiling will help keep the extremes down. An attic vent fan if you don't have one to help keep ambient temps down. Humidifier for winter time, dehumidifier for summer. Or try to cycle your grow so your only dealing with hot season or cold not both. The less ideal the conditions are around your tent the more it takes to keep the plants comfy.
Unfortunately nothing like that. Currently working on sorting out insulation the loft.

So I defo need an intake fan ...?
No, just the right sized exhaust fan. You can still run a duct for an intake, that is passive (no fan).

That is my opinion.

Won’t odour leak from it? :s
No, when you have odor you should be running the exhaust constantly anyway. Positive vacuum for the filter to pull out the odor.

The tent environment has negative pressure with a proper extractor fan. Put ducting into one of the lower vents to draw air in. Nothing wrong with another fan instead of the ducting. Just make sure you get one that matches your extractor. They're cheap.

I thought I was negative vacuum for the exhaust, the tent should be sucking in
Ok,

The fan is blowing out, but it is sucking through a carbon filter, that would make the tent a negative pressure (vacuum), which would pull air through your intake pipe. That action will never let air go backward from the tent. If you have odor, you should run your exhaust fan (24/7) to prevent odors from escaping the tent or the passive intake pipe. Some people get away with a slight odor at first, but it will get strong, especially after the flowering starts.

I guess the word positive, was not the correct terminology in this situation. Sorry.

and always run your fans 24/7. Only lights need to be on timers. My grow is in an attic as well. And i always run lights on at night and for veg i just use T8 fluorescents. But i displace ALOT of air winter and summer my intake changes in the winter u pull from inside the house room temp and in the summer i pull air in from outside. And everything needs to be center outside the house if i keep it inside i heat the attic up to 37c in a couple of hours... But i don't use a humidifier or dehumidifier... I just deal with the humidity but its never higher than 45% over here... and atm im flowering at 20% humidity.

and always run your fans 24/7. Only lights need to be on timers. My grow is in an attic as well. And i always run lights on at night and for veg i just use T8 fluorescents. But i displace ALOT of air winter and summer my intake changes in the winter u pull from inside the house room temp and in the summer i pull air in from outside. And everything needs to be center outside the house if i keep it inside i heat the attic up to 37c in a couple of hours... But i don't use a humidifier or dehumidifier... I just deal with the humidity but its never higher than 45% over here... and atm im flowering at 20% humidity.
I am guessing you are from uk aswell

Bonsaiweed, I have the same tent and faced the same challenge when looking at installing a filter and fan. I went with the 4" model, and played a game of tetris to get it all mounted in the tent. For this size tent, anything over 100 cfm is overkill, but they don't make many fans that can pull through a filter under 100 cfm. What I did was go with a 4" vivosun fan and filter, but included a speed controller. In theory awesome, but this fan isn't happy to start cranked way down, so I have to experiment with where I could get the fan to start as I have it tied into the fan timer. I still find the minimum speed overkill for a 27"x27"x53" tent. At this point in my veg cycle I don't need the fan operating 24/7. Actually, I have the tent in a cold place near a window so I kind of depend on the LED heating the tent throughout the night with the fan turned off so it is at 78 degrees max. i'll turn on the fan when i'm opening the tent to mess with the plant to reduce smells, but keep it off at this point so I can have keep the tent above 70 throughout the night here in early spring. In flower when it is really needed it will be on 24/7.

When I was running through all possible scenarios, I found that the fan came with a bracket that could hook over a tent pole. Awesome. I just put two zip ties in to make sure it didn't move from there. The 4" duct connects to the filter that is mounted high to the roof with hiking boot lace and also a zip tie chain. I may want to find something else that is more solid in the future for ease of mind. I also mounted the speed controller to my light fixture so it is easy to get to and won't be in the way no matter what height I keep my light at. For now the fan/speed controller is plugged into the spare outlet on my LED light but I may reroute that when I want to operate it 24/7 when i'm not worried about brining in outside air that is so cold (65 deg right now).

some pictures:

first one showing fan bracket hooked over pole, then zip tied:
full

full

full

full

full

Back
Top Bottom