Exhaust fan - Intake and carbon filter

igrow420710

I am getting a 4x4 tent with HLG 550 and HLG 40/65 strip in the middle. I need help on sorting out an intake and outake and a carbon filter please.. if anyone could direct me on how and where to start would be grateful.

For my 4x4x8 tent I am using a Vivosun 6" Carbon Filter- I have it inside my tent and have my fan (Can Max 6" 334 CFM) outside my tent and use a Ipower exhaust fan speed controller.

It does a great job both cooling and have virtually no smell unless I open the tent.

I don't use any intake fan - The exhaust fan creates a negative pressure and pulls in cool air from one or more of the flaps or round vents. If you are growing Photo and need darkness I put a length of vent hose on the intake so light doesn't enter.

I just have one filter, and fan (intake/exhaust)

I just have one filter, and fan (intake/exhaust)

I see. Looks good. What size tent is that? What light are you using?

It is a 27 inch x 27 inch x 63 inch (69cm x 69 cm x160 cm) Mars Hydro tent

The light is a 1200w advertised (235 watt wall draw) Morsen reflector. (Amazon)

Like the setup @Bonsaiweed much more polished than mine. My fans just sits on the garage floor.
I purchased some real fancy ratchet straps for the filter. That didn't work out. But the Christmas self-velcro is the bomb. It's very hard to peel apart.

You like the Ziptie hangar huh!!?? :laugh:

Hi. Why don't you attach the fan directly to the filter? That's usually how it works.

There is less room up there than you think there is. The fan is actually a larger diameter than the filter and would be hard to hang inside without interference to the light (with the exhaust duct and such). I put it this way to make sure I wasn't rubbing on my light hanger cables or ratchet strap if I had to pull it to the maximum height possible. The whole assembly would need to move closer to the center of the top.

This is a temporary location for my tent. I was going to do a bunch of work to the room, but setup for this one run before summer. It was quick and dirty to get through. This will possibly be relocated to an enclosed closet type area when all said and done. The fan will never be attached directly due to the vibrations it creates. It will eventually be suspended by bungees. If it were hung inside, the vibration would tend to run through the frame poles and to the floor. They way I have it, I actually get some vibration still, but not to the floor.

It still works well and allows more options on where to place the fan. Also, my tent frame doesn't have to hold it up. The fan is not heavy, but not really light either (8 lbs or so I guess 3.6 kg).

I guess people would say it is wrong, but it works. Just the way I tackled the setup. :thumb:

Hi. Why don't you attach the fan directly to the filter? That's usually how it works.

There are a lot of reasons to put it external. The main reason it take up a lot of space at the top of the tent that you may need to get the max height out of the light. I've seen lots of different configurations. I've even seen one where you put the air filter and fan out of the tent and blowing air into filter instead of suction.

Another option I'm playing with is to hook up the filters from both tents to the same fan.

The main point is to do what works best for you grow environment.

There is less room up there than you think there is. The fan is actually a larger diameter than the filter and would be hard to hang inside without interference to the light (with the exhaust duct and such). I put it this way to make sure I wasn't rubbing on my light hanger cables or ratchet strap if I had to pull it to the maximum height possible. The whole assembly would need to move closer to the center of the top.

This is a temporary location for my tent. I was going to do a bunch of work to the room, but setup for this one run before summer. It was quick and dirty to get through. This will possibly be relocated to an enclosed closet type area when all said and done. The fan will never be attached directly due to the vibrations it creates. It will eventually be suspended by bungees. If it were hung inside, the vibration would tend to run through the frame poles and to the floor. They way I have it, I actually get some vibration still, but not to the floor.

It still works well and allows more options on where to place the fan. Also, my tent frame doesn't have to hold it up. The fan is not heavy, but not really light either (8 lbs or so I guess 3.6 kg).

I guess people would say it is wrong, but it works. Just the way I tackled the setup. :thumb:
There are a lot of reasons to put it external. The main reason it take up a lot of space at the top of the tent that you may need to get the max height out of the light. I've seen lots of different configurations. I've even seen one where you put the air filter and fan out of the tent and blowing air into filter instead of suction.

Another option I'm playing with is to hook up the filters from both tents to the same fan.

The main point is to do what works best for you grow environment.

What would be the most efficient or best way to do this;
Fan inside or outside tent?
Carbon filter attached directly to fan or use ducting in between them?

Lower resistance to airflow is preferable. So a straight line with as little hard pipe duct as possible would be the"most efficient". As stated before configuration is a lot more about space than any one best way. Depending on your ambient conditions and heat load inside the tent you could need drastically different setups. The most common way is with one exhaust fan inside the tent pulling air through the filter and exhausting it outside the tent. Bigger space, more heat or humidity may see two fans in a push pull setup. There's so many ways to do it.

What Turbo said..... :thumb:

Lower resistance to airflow is preferable. So a straight line with as little hard pipe duct as possible would be the"most efficient". As stated before configuration is a lot more about space than any one best way. Depending on your ambient conditions and heat load inside the tent you could need drastically different setups. The most common way is with one exhaust fan inside the tent pulling air through the filter and exhausting it outside the tent. Bigger space, more heat or humidity may see two fans in a push pull setup. There's so many ways to do it.
Oh dear, tent is 4x4 in UK attic/loft and will be having very cold winters with very hot summers. Havent checked specific temps as of yet have no equipment aswell just sorted what tent and light I am getting.

Ooh buddy. If there's any portion of the house that has air conditioning I would strongly suggest trying to setup near that and pulling air in from there. Insulating the ceiling will help keep the extremes down. An attic vent fan if you don't have one to help keep ambient temps down. Humidifier for winter time, dehumidifier for summer. Or try to cycle your grow so your only dealing with hot season or cold not both. The less ideal the conditions are around your tent the more it takes to keep the plants comfy.

Oh dear, tent is 4x4 in UK attic/loft and will be having very cold winters with very hot summers. Havent checked specific temps as of yet have no equipment aswell just sorted what tent and light I am getting.
With the attic, the winters will be ok usually. Not sure about summer. Attics everywhere tend to be extremely hot, in the summer.

Ooh buddy. If there's any portion of the house that has air conditioning I would strongly suggest trying to setup near that and pulling air in from there. Insulating the ceiling will help keep the extremes down. An attic vent fan if you don't have one to help keep ambient temps down. Humidifier for winter time, dehumidifier for summer. Or try to cycle your grow so your only dealing with hot season or cold not both. The less ideal the conditions are around your tent the more it takes to keep the plants comfy.
Excellent tips. Some I didn't even consider. :thumb:

What Turbo said..... :thumb:

I agree. Turbo gave a really perfect and succinct answer.

My last grow in a 3x3 tent heat was an issue. I was pulling air into the garage with an inline fan and would often leave the garage door open to pull in cool air at night. In my area of California the nights even in the summer cool off nicely. I would also let the Girls have nighttime between 11 AM - 11 PM (for bloom).

My COB lights put off a lot less heat unless I really crank them up so cooling is not as much of a problem.

I put the whole thing outside on my first grow. The only difference was the noise. It's quieter inside the tent. I have a 4x4. I hung the thing up with velcro straps. There was plenty of room along with 2 sets of LEDs. Both setups accomplish the same thing. :passitleft:

Back
Top Bottom