Experiment to test the cannabinoid levels in roots & stems

Hey Sue I still have the roots from the plants you gifted me...pretty sure the CBD Critical Cure roots would be bursting with CBD. How would I go about extracting it? Thanks Sweetie!

I have a CBD Critical Mass about to go into flower in a 7g pot. I will re-evaluate in 8 or 9 weeks if I want to clean the roots. :Namaste::circle-of-love::peace:

Hey Sue I still have the roots from the plants you gifted me...pretty sure the CBD Critical Cure roots would be bursting with CBD. How would I go about extracting it? Thanks Sweetie!

My best advice is to let the root ball dry out first. Place the mass in a plastic bag and start shaking it, holding it by the stem. This’ll knock off most of the perlite. It takes gentle persuasion from there to get the perlite loose from the grips of the roots, but I’ve done it myself Tom, so I know it can be done without too much damage to the root mass.

After it’s free of perlite I’d soak it in clean water for a bit to loosen any residual nutrients. Soak, gently rinse, soak again....maybe two or three cycles? You’ll notice the water getting clearer and clearer after the soaks.

If you flushed the way I do you’ve already gotten most of the latent nutrient out of the roots. Additional soaking to clear just gets you cleaner oil.

We’ll be working out the particulars from there as we go Tommi. This is new/old information that we’re kinda reinventing along the way.

Great article here:
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5628559/
A how to here:
cbdrootsource.com
Great links Oldbear.

What's interesting about this to me (besides the results) is that I made a batch of topical oil using roots, stems, and some leftover bud I had already infused into THC pain oil. What I found was that this oil (that I thickened with beeswax) didn't do anything for pain, but worked better on hives and bug bites than the THC oil. I never understood why until now!

No freakin’ way is right, and thank you for the link @Oldbear. So... it appears no one’s really looking? That paper was written by some of the leaders in cannabis research.

How the hell did they miss this?

It's interesting that the NCBI study notes very small amounts of THC and CBDa in the roots which contradicts what you determined. It seems the study was done with a wild Indian weed plant, so there is no strain origin or indication of indica/sativa/whatever.

Another thing to note: that paper mentioned the plants ability as a phytoremediator, so it might have the capability of absorbing heavy metals such as arsenic, lead, cadmium, iron, copper, etc. Other phytoremediators can absorb things like crude oil and organic molecules that could be dangerous.

It's interesting that the NCBI study notes very small amounts of THC and CBDa in the roots which contradicts what you determined. It seems the study was done with a wild Indian weed plant, so there is no strain origin or indication of indica/sativa/whatever.

Another thing to note: that paper mentioned the plants ability as a phytoremediator, so it might have the capability of absorbing heavy metals such as arsenic, lead, cadmium, iron, copper, etc. Other phytoremediators can absorb things like crude oil and organic molecules that could be dangerous.

This is why we try to control what our plants are growing in, and why testing integrity is so important. Cannabis is a bioaccumulator. That makes it good for cleaning up toxic soils, but it also means we have a responsibility to make sure our medicine isn't polluting anyone.

Cannabinoids in roots..PNG

Wow so you don't need to run a cbd specific plant. just extract the cbd from the roots of any high thc plant? Ok mind blown. Will try this on my Gt plant i took down last week. I'm excited !

We need to slow it down a little. We have one investigation that has us all excited, but until we can duplicate these results with other plants we pretty much have to treat this as an anomaly, IMO. No disrespect to Neil, but one result does not make this a definitive find of CBD in the roots of all high-THC plants.

We have every reason to be excited. Let's carefully get our ducks in a row and keep looking. I hear the cannabinoid meter used is currently out of stock, darn it. That limits somewhat what we can do at the moment, doesn't it?

I know this guy, he has a home test kit for THC and CBD

Bet he has some roots sitting around that could be tested

Just saying

Back
Top Bottom