Extractor fan silencer help please

Right ... or how hard would it be to make one of those things? I am thinking $20.00 in parts and ten minutes labor!

I would try something like this and with a little duct tape make a muffler out of it. Should work pretty much the same.

Amazon: Acoustic Foam 1-1/2" x 24" x 18"

1667118287386.png

plain "egg crate foam" is allot cheaper although the level of soundproofing is less. can get this at target or walmart.

These types worked better for me when I installed the fan in the middle. Or, Maybe that's how it's supposed to be done. Very quiet though it will reduce fan velocity some.

I own two of these, one on each side of the fan. It's no more than a fitted tube lined with acoustic foam. Try lining the inside of a plastic trashcan or a large cardboard tube with the foam.

They definitely reduce sound.

Here is what I came up with for silencing my fan.... Easy to do and took like 10 minutes...

All I did was take a rubermaid container that fit my fan, plus a good 4" on each side of it, cut a hole on each side big enough to fit my ducting through it. I used some leftover studio foam (i think the brand is auralex) and made a "taco" around the fan, inside the rubbermaid. I taped up the ducting with duct tape, closed the lid, and waahhhlaaa!! a super quiet running fan. I still can hear it, but it now sounds like a small air purifier instead of a superfan! lol

instead of studio foam (un-needed expense) you can use towels, old tshirts or anything over 1" thick that is a fabric... also rockwool works well for sound absorbtion as well (used in a lot of studios)

Honestly studio foam sucks for sound absorbtion (thats why you rarely see it in professional studios) it only absorbs the mid to righ range of sound, and is much better to correct reverb issues than be sound absorbers...a good 2" layer of tshirts balled up would do much better of a job :)

DSC02604.JPG

Here is what I came up with for silencing my fan.... Easy to do and took like 10 minutes...

All I did was take a rubermaid container that fit my fan, plus a good 4" on each side of it, cut a hole on each side big enough to fit my ducting through it. I used some leftover studio foam (i think the brand is auralex) and made a "taco" around the fan, inside the rubbermaid. I taped up the ducting with duct tape, closed the lid, and waahhhlaaa!! a super quiet running fan. I still can hear it, but it now sounds like a small air purifier instead of a superfan! lol

instead of studio foam (un-needed expense) you can use towels, old tshirts or anything over 1" thick that is a fabric... also rockwool works well for sound absorbtion as well (used in a lot of studios)

Honestly studio foam sucks for sound absorbtion (thats why you rarely see it in professional studios) it only absorbs the mid to righ range of sound, and is much better to correct reverb issues than be sound absorbers...a good 2" layer of tshirts balled up would do much better of a job :)

DSC02604.JPG

Icemud thanks for this input, do you happen to have more pictures to have a better understanding?

Back
Top Bottom