Fabergé Egg Germination

quemedica

Hello everyone,

I’ve been lurking on this forum for quite some time so I guess this is my coming out, so to speak ;)

I’m working on a few (hopefully) interesting posts and thought I’d start with this one since it’s the shortest write-up.

Back in early January, friends and I decided this upcoming summer was going to be the season of strain sampling. We pooled our pennies and hit seed banks having the cheapest prices on the net. We ordered a total of 42 feminized beans and man, what a disaster that was…

Chalk it up to badly maintained seeds, old stock, rotten luck and (most of all) cheap prices, but 3 weeks after having received the last seed order, only 7 had germinated despite having tried every trick in the book.

A state of panic set in at the thought of losing the smorgasborg we so eagerly anticipated. As the most experienced grower, I was on the receiving end of all this anxiety. Thankfully though, there’s nothing better than stress to stimulate out-of-the-box thinking. A few back-to-back rolls helped too…

A seed-bearing fruit’s purpose is to pack the nutrients necessary for seed growth and eventually germination. In essence, a fruit is a gigantic womb. With this in mind, I started by searching the pH values of different foods, which led me to a revelation. It turns out one fruit in particular not only has an ideal pH level, but its high liquid to flesh ratio, the nutrients it contains and its consistency fall right smack into cannabis loving territory! Can you guess which one?

The watermelon has a pH level of 5.6, it’s loaded (92%) with juice, its flesh has the perfect consistency for tap roots to claw into and it is a nutrient bomb that contains the following compounds:

- arginine
- biotin
- copper
- magnesium
- potassium
- flavonoids
- carotenoids
- triterpenoids
- vitamin C1
- vitamin A5
- vitamin B64
- vitamin B1
- citruline
- pantothenic acid

Out of desperation, I placed all hope on watermelon becoming our moonshot to salvation. It sure as heck was and it delivered with stunning efficiency to boot. All but 6 of the remaining 35 seeds germinated. One seed grew a half inch tap root in 3 days. We marveled around that melon like kids in a candy store!

Here’s how I went about doing this, but there is still so many other things to try such as rooting cuttings etc.etc…

I bought 2 watermelons of the oval variety and cut one of them in two at roughly ¾ of its length. Standing the longest half up on a bowl, I used a (rounded) 5ml measuring spoon and scooped 10 pits out of its flesh, numbering each one on the rind with a marker. Using the extracted flesh and some from the second watermelon, I squeezed juice into every pit filling them to the top. I then dropped a seed in each one recording their strains on paper by pit number. Finally, I put the shorter half on top and checked seed progress daily:
Faberge_Egg_Germination.png

My girlfriend thought the setup looked like the big eggs wealthy people buy. She was referring to Faberge Eggs of course :)

I can’t forward a theory as to why it worked out so well, but I’m really looking forward to reading other people’s experiments and results. Anyways thanks to watermelon, we are having an aroma filled summer in our neck of the woods and I hope all of you are as well!

SOURCES:

pH level of Foods

Nutrients in Watermelon (a must read)

If someone wants to try this, make sure you squeeze extra watermelon juice ahead of time keeping it at room temperture. I used a thermos and when checking seeds, would fill any pits having gone down to the top. Also, when lifting the top half up, do so gently so as to not create a suction. The way I did it was to stick a butter knife between each half and slowly pry it upwards.

The shit stoners can come up with and the man says it makes us stupid. :rofl:

I'd rep ya but just did in your organic soil post. I owe ya one. :passitleft:

So how did you move them to soil or whatever?

L8r

I am so interested in this and never thought of watermelon to be so good for cannabis plants maybe that's something to try to use as a fert? The juice anyways.. Hmmm

Back
Top Bottom