Fabric Pots & Standing Water

Goat Cheese

I have my dehumidifier outside my grow tent set to 50%, the relative humidity inside my tent is usually in the low 40 percentile. When I water my plants, I put the fabric pot down inside a boot tray, water and let sit for a minute or two before putting back in the tent. If I watered inside my tent and left the fabric pot sitting in a little run off, would that be beneficial as I am currently watering every 2 - 3 days, so it should be wicked up quickly or should I continue as I am doing, as there is most likely a problem that could occur from the standing water (mold/whatnot)?

I am in the first week of flowering and I have an especially thirsty 3'+ sativa in a 5-gallon fabric pot that seems to always need water.

re: Fabric Pots & Standing Water

I myself would not let my plant sit in standing water.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

using a plastictray at the bottom of the tent. plants are sitting nicely on top of the chickenwire "lid". the runoff water, if not paying attention during watering, will dripedidip to the plastic tray trough holes on the "lid" made of for example of chickenwire.. made under the tray small wooden square, which has angle so the runoff water will drain downwards. at the bottom have towel or two, if money would not be a problem, would invest small hoover that tolerate water... this works for me and makes me happy-bunny🥳

I currently use the same technique with my smartpot, I fill the tray with water and let it soak up from the bottom, now I did fill the bottom of my pot with hydroton so that can soak up up the water to feed it to the soil but it also keeps the bottom of the pot aerated so it's not soggy soil at the bottom resting on the fabric.

It can be done, fabric pots are also used in permanent soaking wicking action but then you have to shield the water from the light.

When the plants get to flowering they enter a period where they can drink heavy for a couple of weeks, like several litres per day, if you want to keep that up with dunking the pot that might be a bit tricky.

If you want to feed your roots from the bottom 24/7 and still work with soil get over to Azi's SIP thread
For all the info.

I currently use the same technique with my smartpot, I fill the tray with water and let it soak up from the bottom, now I did fill the bottom of my pot with hydroton so that can soak up up the water to feed it to the soil but it also keeps the bottom of the pot aerated so it's not soggy soil at the bottom resting on the fabric.

It can be done, fabric pots are also used in permanent soaking wicking action but then you have to shield the water from the light.

When the plants get to flowering they enter a period where they can drink heavy for a couple of weeks, like several litres per day, if you want to keep that up with dunking the pot that might be a bit tricky.

If you want to feed your roots from the bottom 24/7 and still work with soil get over to Azi's SIP thread
For all the info.
Thanks for the info! Somehow this Slow Head did not catch your reply until now ! Sorry 'bout that !

I heard and saw fellow Slow Head using this bottom feed technique... For me personally, it too much of a hassle to make sure about the soggy soil and root rot. This why I prefer fabric pots, good ventilation and milk crates:peacetwo: 20% run off at every feed and that's it. I still need to check the thread tho, thanks for a hint ! But someone told ones, if I can remember correctly, feed the soil not the roots. Roots will absorb so much needed nutes from the soil if done properly. Personally I never let the container sit in the "swamp" that run-off water/nutes creates. It needs a bit more work, you are right, at the flowering stage, but if I want this Jamaica-Ding-Dong-Thingy be part of my life as a hobby, meditative"work",I don't mind to do the extra mile to achieve that, as long the air float in tent runs smoothly. Not too hard, not too low.

Otherwise I just get myself an Autopot system and become a full-time Lazy Arse Slow Head and might to get myself a real job:slide:

Thanks for the info! Somehow this Slow Head did not catch your reply until now ! Sorry 'bout that !

I heard and saw fellow Slow Head using this bottom feed technique... For me personally, it too much of a hassle to make sure about the soggy soil and root rot. This why I prefer fabric pots, good ventilation and milk crates:peacetwo: 20% run off at every feed and that's it. I still need to check the thread tho, thanks for a hint ! But someone told ones, if I can remember correctly, feed the soil not the roots. Roots will absorb so much needed nutes from the soil if done properly. Personally I never let the container sit in the "swamp" that run-off water/nutes creates. It needs a bit more work, you are right, at the flowering stage, but if I want this Jamaica-Ding-Dong-Thingy be part of my life as a hobby, meditative"work",I don't mind to do the extra mile to achieve that, as long the air float in tent runs smoothly. Not too hard, not too low.

Otherwise I just get myself an Autopot system and become a full-time Lazy Arse Slow Head and might to get myself a real job:slide:
Yeah it's a bit of hassle doing it with fabric pots like that, but it can be done.
Oh man I love the lazy ease of the SIP.. no more watering woes, no more run off, it's a bit like autopot just each pot has it's own reservoir.. and the thing just works.. no root rot, despite the thing being soaked all the time.
But yeah if the work is meditative and fun keep at it.. It's just when I grew in fabric pots I was always checking the grow out all the time, can I water yet, are they doing ok? Now I can sometimes even forget to check as I know they're doing fine, and there's a level meter that tells me when I need to do something. The amount of nute mixing and prep has also gone down. So yeah not great if you want the work :)
Cheers :Rasta:

For all the info.
Dude! You just made me to try for the next run some SIP method! I have read about things like SIP and even have few The Green Man hydro boxes and one came with this thingy that you can put on the bottom of the box, so it will be as a SIP growing method.

At the moment, here where this Slow Head lives, the living soil method is the S*** that everyone is jizzing about. I also would like to try that, but after reading Azi's SIP thread, I think I will go with that.

Thanks for great answer and make my Slow Head to have new methods to try ! As a full time Slow Head, I am always inspired by new methods to try :thanks:

Take care my fellow Slow Head! :headbanger:🦥

Dude! You just made me to try for the next run some SIP method! I have read about things like SIP and even have few The Green Man hydro boxes and one came with this thingy that you can put on the bottom of the box, so it will be as a SIP growing method.

At the moment, here where this Slow Head lives, the living soil method is the S*** that everyone is jizzing about. I also would like to try that, but after reading Azi's SIP thread, I think I will go with that.

Thanks for great answer and make my Slow Head to have new methods to try ! As a full time Slow Head, I am always inspired by new methods to try :thanks:

The Sips are just easy peasy it's ridiculous as I've tried many style pots and hydro but this is just so easy.
And the plants take off like crazy.
Now as for living soil, those dudes are indeed on to something as it's how nature intended.. feed the soil with rich bacteria and fungi.. I've seen gorgeous buds and plants like that and what's in the buds might also be a bit more complex in compounds.
As for the combo living soil in SIP I think there might be some challenges there best to ask in the SIP club thread, but that's soo long now that finding any info in it easy is not easy.. I thought some of the stuff in the pot might not like the constant high water table. not sure though, those who dunnit will help out!
Cheers!

I have my dehumidifier outside my grow tent set to 50%, the relative humidity inside my tent is usually in the low 40 percentile. When I water my plants, I put the fabric pot down inside a boot tray, water and let sit for a minute or two before putting back in the tent. If I watered inside my tent and left the fabric pot sitting in a little run off, would that be beneficial as I am currently watering every 2 - 3 days, so it should be wicked up quickly or should I continue as I am doing, as there is most likely a problem that could occur from the standing water (mold/whatnot)?

I am in the first week of flowering and I have an especially thirsty 3'+ sativa in a 5-gallon fabric pot that seems to always need water.

Seven year old thread, but Root Rot from sitting in runoff water.

I would wait for them to stop dripping before putting them back. Standing water in the tent is a breeding ground for things like gnats. They are the last thing you want to deal with. I'd also question whether or not your pots are actually dry when you re-water. What feels like a light pot when you pick it up can be deceptive.

yup avoid standing water else it will turn skunky real fast. Anaerobic even and will kill your crew…. NOT!

for newer folks please don’t try this at home and read to the bottom. you can’t do this in standard soil mix or it will potentially do harm like root rot etc

nite lights
fabric pot sitting in swick reservoir base
Feed water - always track ppm’s? nope never track ppm’s…!
Feed water shaken not stirred
tube of RSO? Nope water sample from reservoir
reservoir
sludge close up
avoid exposing your res water to light

(disclaimer) apologies for the nasty enviro, broken old man, chronic pain, limited mobility so’s I can’t keep a pristine grow area. However I do nuke everything and undergo a deep clean cycle after each run

Yes seriously 99% of the time standing water is bad…. real bad… There are exceptions like when your soil mix is built with 40% extra aeration required for SIPs & SWICKs, then standing water is no longer an issue.

just kidding peeps- was going for dry humor, but it may bomb out! :laughtwo:

Edit to add - still kinda surprised this hasn’t spawned a jackalope or chupacabra

You should take a look at @StoneOtter and his recent indoor grows.
He uses TLO/LOS in earthbox SIPs, and grows some beautiful plants.

Hey Bro You got the motivation to go SIP ? I love it! It was a game-changer for me. @Melville Hobbes Is correct @StoneOtter has some sick lil setups, oh and he is a cool dude too :p

Just stay committed and positive!

Back
Top Bottom