Fabric vs. Buckets?

Ripples

Been using 5 gallon buckets for last several grows with great results... Last couple of grows seemed like I had a minor root problem. When I watered it would go right through and drain out very quickly? Like it wasn't absorbing the food... I noticed too that I had slow growth and think I had a deficiency of some sort... Yields were down this past grow although not a shit load but down none the less! Thinking I wasn't getting enough air to the roots? Decided to try the fabric and adding some root builder? Any thoughts on pots and my situation? Visit my Grow Journal below and tell me what you think of my set up and the girls!!! Thanks...

You need to water slower. Your soil dries out, then you pour a bunch of water in and it just takes the easiest route straight through. If you'll water some wait a few, water a little more, etc. Finally your soil will be damp enough to grab the water you pour through. Different ways to do it, drench, flush, soak, it all boils down to making your soil hold water. Your slow growth was probably due to roots dying/drying up.

Ya that worked but it was very time consuming! I did water slowly but this problem was only with 2 of my 8 girls? Led me to believe those 2 had some root problems. Thought maybe not enough air flow in the mixture and it just wouldn't allow proper healthy root growth? Have you ever used the fabric pots? My mothers are in them and seem to have a healthier root base? Maybe I'm wrong? They take water and feeding much better. I can literally pour a gallon in one quick pour with no problem or run off. At times 2 gallons depending on how dry they were. I don't mind spending the time to water correctly just thought the problem was the buckets? Thanks for the post! Check out my Journal and let me know what you think, any changes needed?

I agree with rifleman on the pace of watering,as your root base grows it can fill a pot with roots and it makes it matted like and the water will pour through. I am using the smart pots in flower stage and I have to tell ya I don't like em as much as plastic . they dry out faster which means better chance to loose on yield and more difficult to maneuver . plus if they do get to drying out I have found that the soil shrinks away from the side and water goes right out through. but hey its all my opinion hope this helps as im not a master grower yet.

I grow with fabric pots and Rifleman is correct, if you water to quickly the water will race through the path of least resistance even with fabric pots. The only reason I grow with fabric pots over plastic is because they air prune. If you grow in plastic pots chances are at some point before you harvest the plant will become root bound. I still have to water slowly though.

Back
Top Bottom