Failed Drug Test, Got The Job

zeroday

Figured I would post this. This is in Massachusetts. Long story short, I was really starting to hate my job and was looking for a change. Got a really good job offer, but I needed to start in 2 weeks. I'm a relatively heavy smoker. I also have my state medical card. Anyway, I went to the drug test as I was asked, smoked a joint on the way because I was super anxious. A week later I get the call that I failed. I told them I had a med card. They asked me to send them a copy of it, which I did. Three days later, I get a call from my new boss saying my background and DT status were"Cleared" and welcomed me to the team. Not a small company, ~50k employees, $20b company.

I was shocked, I was at least 75% certain I'd get denied.

Oh how times are changing!

Congrats on the new job.... Glad they let the card be your ticket.

I've personally never passed a drug test lol but I have also been with the same company for 14 years so a bit different.

But right on! May I ask the field?

Figured I would post this. This is in Massachusetts. Long story short, I was really starting to hate my job and was looking for a change. Got a really good job offer, but I needed to start in 2 weeks. I'm a relatively heavy smoker. I also have my state medical card. Anyway, I went to the drug test as I was asked, smoked a joint on the way because I was super anxious. A week later I get the call that I failed. I told them I had a med card. They asked me to send them a copy of it, which I did. Three days later, I get a call from my new boss saying my background and DT status were"Cleared" and welcomed me to the team. Not a small company, ~50k employees, $20b company.

I was shocked, I was at least 75% certain I'd get denied.

Oh how times are changing!
Congratulations my man I’m glad they accepted your card it’s been on my mind looking for a new job with a potential drug test in my future

Congrats on your job! IMO the whole idea of testing for thc is kind of messed up in this day and time. Setting aside actual high thc mj, just consuming federally and state legal full spectrum hemp products can make you fail a test. If I got popped for a test I'd probably fail and it's been a few weeks since I've smoked any but I take full spectrum oil every day, I imagine I'd end up arguing for my job. Anyhow, glad they accepted your med card and hope you enjoy your new job.

Congrats on your job! IMO the whole idea of testing for thc is kind of messed up in this day and time. Setting aside actual high thc mj, just consuming federally and state legal full spectrum hemp products can make you fail a test. If I got popped for a test I'd probably fail and it's been a few weeks since I've smoked any but I take full spectrum oil every day, I imagine I'd end up arguing for my job. Anyhow, glad they accepted your med card and hope you enjoy your new job.

Most good testing includes a secondary mass spec test on a failed or inconclusive test. If the metabolites are found, there is normally a threshold level, below which the test is reported as negative. Some places don’t want to spend the money for the mass spec test.

About 15 years ago I got a job with a national bank. I was finger printed and background checked with the FBI. A week after starting the HR manager called to see how things were going and I asked if they were going to drug test me. Her reply "we loose too many applicants because of Marijuana so we stopped testing". Still shocks me ha.

Just changed jobs for more money. For the second time (last time a year ago), I failed the drug test and got the job.

I was so anxious about it this time, I had to smoke on the way to the drug test.

Not bragging/boasting, just trying to give hope to those anxious folks feeling trapped in a job because they consume THC. Might not apply to every one, but again, there is hope.

I'm in Massachusetts, BTW.

Each State has their own rules on it, so what works one State (or even time as things change quickly with the rules) may not work somewhere else. In OR the companies allowed to still test if they want, and can deny because of a test (or last I heard anyway).

Each State has their own rules on it, so what works one State (or even time as things change quickly with the rules) may not work somewhere else. In OR the companies allowed to still test if they want, and can deny because of a test (or last I heard anyway).
Federal jobs will still disqualify you for a dirty test even in states where recreational use is legal. The DOT test also, again, even if you only drive in a legal state.

Federal jobs will still disqualify you for a dirty test even in states where recreational use is legal. The DOT test also, again, even if you only drive in a legal state.
In my old job if I got injured and tested positive they would fight you on the workman's comp (along with being terminated), as one can test "positive" weeks after the last time they used it so it doesn't mean you were high at work.

In my old job if I got injured and tested positive they would fight you on the workman's comp (along with being terminated), as one can test "positive" weeks after the last time they used it so it doesn't mean you were high at work.
That's why if you ever get pulled over for a cannabis DUI, you always choose blood (in CA we get a choice), not urine. In the blood it's only there for about 6-8 hours, for urine, it can be up to 4 weeks or so.

I had to take a 30 year break because I had a Fed job with random tests (and a security clearance).

That's why if you ever get pulled over for a cannabis DUI, you always choose blood (in CA we get a choice), not urine. In the blood it's only there for about 6-8 hours, for urine, it can be up to 4 weeks or so.

I had to take a 30 year break because I had a Fed job with random tests (and a security clearance).
I was 20 years as Lumber Mill and Factory I worked at did randoms, could count on doing at least 3-4 a year and you had no idea when it would be. Sometimes two months in a row other times was spread out over the year. Crap jobs that paid better than other crap jobs where you didn't have to worry about testing but you was right near minimum wage.

I was 20 years as Lumber Mill and Factory I worked at did randoms, could count on doing at least 3-4 a year and you had no idea when it would be. Sometimes two months in a row other times was spread out over the year. Crap jobs that paid better than other crap jobs where you didn't have to worry about testing but you was right near minimum wage.
We were on a random schedule, you were guaranteed to get tested at least once every two years, but it was also possible to get tested 3 times in three weeks, just depended when your number came up. Getting tested numerous times didn’t take you out of the test pool. I was making too much money to screw it up, so I just quit until I retired.

Back
Top Bottom