Family Questions SWAT Drug Search That Led To Dog's Death

I went to the home page of this story to make sure that this really happen as reported. I am greatly concern about this Childs welfare in this matter. He is going to have emotional scars the rest of his life... This 7 yr old child witness the police barging into his home with guns drawn than shooting his dogs. I wanted to see if the police were concern about their actions where it concerns a 7 year old child. Not one mention about the Childs welfare and that it could have been avoided by waiting for the suspect to leave home. . . they did mention the second-degree child endangerment charge. So marijuana charge for child endangerment verses killing a seven year old boy dogs. In my opinion the killing of a childs dogs is the greater crime than second-degree child endangerment for marijuana. this child should have been the first priority of the police not some marijuana bust... If I would have been that child, I know that it would freak me out for a very long time... It also concerns me is how they did not mention why the corgi was shot...maybe because everyone knows that corgis are a very small breed. I doubt you would see corgis in the top 100 aggressive dog list... But they did say the pitbull was aggresive which is understandable. He wanted to protect his family. The dog is the real hero in this story not leo. They did not mention if the suspect was givin the time to restrain his dogs... That would have been the proper thing to do... Sounds like these officers were high on adrenline and not reality... I also hear a lot of back peddling. "We have updated info so we have to act fast... drugs and guns go together and that is why we use swat in warrants of this type."... looks like to me swat had some dumb ass info... Like Dumb Ass Bush used the weapons of mass destruction info to use deadly force against fellow human beings ... America is it time to just say no to the drug war....? If every pro marijuana person in the Good old U.S. went to Washington and said enough is enough... and demanded change... Thier would be not a enough jails in the US to hold even 1 % of the protesters... Maybe, We the people should start letting Washington in this fact and that we are very serious this time... not some small gatherings in diffrent citys like in the 60's were police could control because they were of not enough numbers... But a full blown protest in Washington DC in the millions...

Quotes from locals and neighbors of the victims in the comment forum linked to the article:

"The actions of the Columbia Police Farce in this Gestapo action are totally ludicrous and insane! The search order was signed on the 3rd of February and executed on the 11th and there was no time to research the mission before the allegedly "large amount of marijuana could be distributed". Come on! There never was or has been a drug operation in that home. The Mother was reading the son a book before bed, Dad was sitting on the couch and CPD just stormed through an open front door, shot seven times, five into the female dog wearing a pink sweater and for good measure shot the Corgi to boot. Damn! Damaged tiles, ricochet bullets into the family kitchen table and walls. There is blood from the dog who was trying to escape the carnage everywhere; carpet, tile, furniture and walls. This is a CPD home invasion and to justify their actions, they found an old grinder with residue and a pipe from a former resident and laid it on this one. I'd like to hear from the PIO on this one. Come on Chief Burton, load the lips of Jessie Haden on this one. I will follow this one to hear you grovel in court... Use the SWAT apes to find your bike! Lay off the families trying to make a living working two jobs, raising children and living in the Highlands for Chrissakes. You missed due diligence on this one. Learn to do your homework! This isn't the operation you are seeking. Research the city and look elsewhere."

"Furthermore, I would like for the City of Columbia and the CPD offer an apology to the family and offer counseling to the Mother and Child. This is very disturbing. I would hope that the city would take ownership for this mangled fiasco and come clean. This is about as horrendous as I have seen in the civilized world. Chief Burton and the PIO Jessie Haden would be a good start to try to correct this faux pas! You have the address, ring the bell this time. You already shot their dog."

From Jessie Holden herself (who had a lot of guts to even enter the fray to try to do damage control):

"Some of the posts to this article contain questions, and I can answer those. I can also clear up some areas of confusion where information just hasn't been provided and people are having to make guesses. I can't necessarily answer the rhetorical or plainly angry and unreasonable questions. I'll answer any that are angry and still reasonable.

This was a search warrant executed for part of our investigative division. It wasn't a SWAT search warrant. They never are. Our SWAT officers are part-time, and their full time jobs are as police officers or supervisors. This warrant was executed for some of our investigators, and some officers who took part, are SWAT officers. Some aren't. The warrant was issued based on information that citizens provided to our detectives. A warrant won't be issued on one "tip". We are expected to follow up on complaints. When those complaints are about someone selling drugs, we may request a search warrant, if we receive enough verifiable information to apply for one.

If a warrant is for drugs, weapons, or includes someone with a documented violent history, we will involve at least some SWAT officers. Our SWAT officers do have cameras with them during the execution of a warrant, and the entire incident is recorded. This one was, too. It can't be released, at this point, because of the defendant's rights. Until his criminal case is disposed of, we aren't allowed to release it.

We did not do a news release. We make all police reports available to the news media, and update them every 24 hours. Members of the media review these, and call us (usually me) for further information on the incidents they wish to cover. The entire police report(s) are much longer than can be printed in the paper or on-line in their entirety. The Sunshine Law/Open Records law allows requests to be made for the entire report(s). These blogs allow additional questions to be asked without going through that process.

The officer who first approached the door to the residence knocked three times, waiting in between, and loudly verbally announced their presence, twice. Any information that officers "broke in," without knocking or announcing, is incorrect."

Neighbors testimony:

"I live in this neighborhood and the night it happened was absolutely stupid. There were so many cop cars, animal control - it was ridiculous. What scares me is that the cops went in shooting - I live too close! Where's the ASPCA in this matter? The dog did nothing wrong other than act like a dog. This guy definitely did something wrong with having drugs in the house - it doesn't matter the amount - drugs are illegal and until they are legalized, you will be charged. I could care less about this guy, it's the dogs, the wife and the child that suffered. The ASPCA needs to get on this and take it up with CPD - they need to pay for what happened to the poor unsuspecting dog - he was just acting like a dog - pit bull or whatever - it was a dog!"

"Thank you Mr. Deeds for your comments-I live in this neighborhood as well and was one of the neighbors calling about hearing the shots and was told that I did not hear shots, and that there was nothing to be concerned about. I don't know about you, but when I hear gunfire and I see that police cars are lining the street and a SWAT team is in the yard, I'm thinking there is something to be concerned about and being lied to is insulting. As far as the supposed drug selling, my husband and I are both coming and going all day long and I can say without doubt that I saw absolutley no suspicious activities going on there-not even loud or obnoxious parties, and believe me, I would be the first one calling the police if I had even the slightest thought that he was selling drugs. The thing that concerns me about this is the lack of control that was displayed in this situation-these houses are way too close to each other and too many kids around for guns to be blazing!
On the other hand, I do not know the information the police had to get this warrant in the first place that would make them act in such a manner, and do not want my comment to be one completely one sided. Being a police officer is risky and I imagine that anyone could get rather jaded if they see the stuff they see.
The police department was quick to look into the complaint I filed concerning this incident and did explain their reasoning, even though I still do not condone the use of guns or the killing of Nalla (that was the dogs name). She was a very sweet dog and if she was showing aggressive behavior it was to protect her family."

.... If every pro marijuana person in the Good old U.S. went to Washington and said enough is enough... and demanded change... There would be not a enough jails in the US to hold even 1 % of the protesters... Maybe, We the people should start letting Washington in on this fact and that we are very serious this time... not some small gatherings in different cities like in the 60's where police could control because they were of not enough numbers... But a full blown protest in Washington DC in the millions...

Agreed. Imagine the logistics of that, though. Every flight, every railway, every road, every motel, hotel, hostel packed and filled to burgeoning capacity and beyond. It's not easily do-able, but it would be fantastic if it could be pulled off.

:thumb:

seems like it was swat that did the endangering by shooting off their guns with a child in the house...

Agreed. :peace:

Back
Top Bottom