Fan Controller & Fan Choice Question

FatBagz

Hi Guys,

Just a quick one. I ordered the Evolution Digital Fan Speed Controller to run my Rhino twin speed fan. Apparently you are not supposed to run the twin speed version with a controller... Can anyone shed some more light on this for me? Is it totally impossible to run? What problems will I encounter if I do? I'm annoyed because the fan filter and controller are all arriving today.

Thanks for the help.

FBz

Thanks bro that's made me feel slightly better haha. Can anyone else confirm this should be good to go? Why would the hydro store tell me otherwise? I have asked for an explanation as to why I shouldn't run them both but thus far no reply.

I guess there's a slight possibility that the controller in the fan could get confused and malfunction. The controller will be set up in a line with the fan motor so if the controller needs full power (which would be a little odd) then it might either not let the fan work at all or the controller in the fan could over work itself and fry. I don't see the necessity of the aftermarket fan controller when you already have a variable speed fan. It would an unneeded expense in my book.

I went for the Ecotechnics controller as this will regulate the RH and tent temp. That's the main reason I wanted to run it through the controller. I will maybe try setting it all up without the controller and see what sort of temps I'm getting with the fan just set to low and high.

I went for the Ecotechnics controller as this will regulate the RH and tent temp. That's the main reason I wanted to run it through the controller. I will maybe try setting it all up without the controller and see what sort of temps I'm getting with the fan just set to low and high.

Oh ok. That makes sense. I would still try it without. Your area might be fine without it. I would be afraid to plug the controller in, just since I know the capital it takes to buy equipment like that.

Thanks man. I will probably try it with the controller connected as well so other people with the same question will have the answer.

From the Rhino website regarding their fans:

- Speed-controllable
- Can be installed in any position
- Maintenance-free and reliable
- Inclusive mounting bracket
- Single, twin and thermostatically controlled options available

Hi Major, isn't that just stating the fan itself is speed controllable because it is twin speed?

Dunno, but doesn't sound like it to me. Those features are listed exactly the same for all their fans.

Great, thanks Major. I suppose the only way to truely know is to try it. I'm setting my tent and all the equipment up this weekend so I will post a few pics and report back on the fan/controller issue. Thanks for your time.

Thought I'd post my findings regarding hooking up a twin speed fan to a controller. It seems to work no problems so far, there's a fairly annoying buzz/hum coming from the fan but this level of noise isn't an issue for me.

Back
Top Bottom