Fan Leaf Removal. oops

EmElla

Okay, so for my entire grow I've been growing bag seed, seven plants. Of those seven 4 have shown that they have these heavy droopy fan leaves.

Well about a week and a half ago I decided to prune some of the leaves. I went online and checked and read an article saying that you only wanted to prune to create more node sites or if there was a problem or something. So Being stupid I trimmed about 1/3 of my fan leaves off.

So My plants are about 8 - 9 weeks old and I was getting ready to move them into flower, and then my timer on my lights blew and the plants were exposed to more darkness. So I decided to go ahead and flower them.

A few minutes ago I read Roseman's article on pruning and found out that you should basically NEVER prune unless in the last 2-3 weeks.

Now I'm really worried. Is this going to hinder bud growth? I've worked really hard for the past 8 weeks and I'm worried that I've messed it up majorly.

Since I pruned the plants have spent all of their energies regrowing fan leaves and in another week they will be back to their same bushy size that they were.

Basically I'm asking if they will be okay, even if it takes longer for them to bud fully, did I screw up horribly by trimming them?

You can see a link to my grow in my signature, I have TONS of pictures and I've documented my journey up until now.

Any input/advice on this would be great, thank you! :thanks: :adore: :helpsmilie:

Re: Fan Leaf Removal... oops

I removed most of my fan leaves on my female during vegie stage as well. I thought it would encourage lower growth, guess what? It didn't. Lesson learned.

She's basically a bud on a stick, with some lower popcorn buds on her. But she is a flowering beauty.

There's still a lot of people on other sites, that SWEAR by this, if you have tall plants, and poor penetration of light to the lower sets. I don't personally have feelings about this either way.. just pointing out.. Some people do it, and say it ups the final field under low light conditions, and others say it's all bad.

Either way.. leaves get eaten in nature. The plant will survive.

I trimmed off three big fan leaves 2 weeks into flowering , and grow slowed down to a crawl !!!
I would never do it again !! Next time i will bend the fan leaves down instead to expose the lower buds to the light .

well, i actually just came on the site to find out if the big fan leaves or the short leaves that are covering the budding parts of the inside should be cut or not, and so far everyone has sais no to it, i entered bloom stage maybe a month ago wit tha white hairs and the orange ones comen out the end...i had 7 but got rid of alot cuz i got really nervous cuz im not doing mine indoor, its potted outside....gets like 9 or 10 hours of sunlight a day, pitch black @ night..the last 2 hours of sun are just hitting the top foot of the plant where all the buds are starting to form, so i guess ill just leave it be and let her grow lool,,but im using liquid earth to water them, the growth for the growing stage
and now im using the bloom wit vigor and gallon of water for the budding stage, u gotta time it perfectly, like let it show clear sign that it has entered budding stage before using the bloom, culd rush it and screw up the hormones, so its not just some dirt bud from outside, they were exotic healthy germinated seeds before planted...the littles ones i got rid of, some didnt make it cuz they wre crappy dirt bud lol, i talked long enough, theres a story ive ben told....

i love that tat bro haha, and i hate tats wit color but i like it, maybe ill get it just in black and greyish colors as the flag haha...nah but nice tat for real, on ur leg it looks like? maybe forarm but the leaf only has 7 leaves!!!?? a full real pot leaf grows up to 9 leaves, theres 2 more small ones under where the smaller ones are lol. but its still nice!!

If you prune fan leaves starting from early veg, you can do it all the time through the grow (to harvest). It will increase growth and provide more quality and quantity bud. People will disagree, but do a side by side and find out for yourself. You will be amazed.

I trim fan leaves all the time. 90% defoliation.

Herb, yea i have not pruned leaves since early veg, they are now in bloom/bud stage, verry beggining though....i tested myself before u answered me and ripped the leafes in half so they arent covering the inside bloomage but the plant seems to focus on healing that leaf that i ripped on purpose...so i guess its to late for me to start now in bloom stage huh? but would it be bad and kill the budd that might be attached at the stem where the fan leaf grows off the stem? i hope u know what i mean hard to explain in typing i need to show u lol, but i hope you understand that sentence lol, ty please respond:rollit:

The fan leaves provide food for the plant , they are the solar panels of the plant don't take them off unless they've turned yellow . If your lower leaves and buds aren't getting enough light, either add some side lights or "tuck" the fan leaves under or behind the smaller,newer, leaves/buds ...Your plant probably won't die but it will slow down and not produce as much ...:peace:

Unless it's dead, don't cut it. Light penetration isn't a problem if you employ LST......not only will you solve the 'Cut, or not to Cut' debate, you'll also gain a larger yield, those small pop corn buds will turn into large nugs when they get the extra light, and anyone with height restrictions can still grow excellent weed.

If push comes to shove, move the leaf, don't cut it.

The fan leaves provide food for the plant , they are the solar panels of the plant don't take them off unless they've turned yellow . If your lower leaves and buds aren't getting enough light, either add some side lights or "tuck" the fan leaves under or behind the smaller,newer, leaves/buds ...Your plant probably won't die but it will slow down and not produce as much ...:peace:

yeahh, ive came to realize the "solar panels of the plant", the little ones i am able to trim off inside where i can, but yes, i only cut the lower yellowed leaves, id have to give u alot of credit for the "tuck" idea...im not using lights/mirrors..its ben proven the sun is the best light for the plant. you were totally right they didnt die,but slowed down alot and healed the big fan leaves..my one i cant tuck or nething of the sort,it grew very short but hugee n fattt with 4 branches 1 from everyside,idk how but i call it Bermuda Diamond(triangle)lol, thank you for responding, perfect information-thank you..peacee:blunt:

I have a jacket also...Seems that the word was trim and they will grow...They get shocked and do recover...But the stunt in growth is Noticible...Side By Side Trial..

Back
Top Bottom