Fan over resivior surface = Swamp cooler for 10*f temperature drop

LEDBud

A easy way to control tank temperature

I came across a article that mentioned the following : Swamp cooler , Blow a fan directly across the surface of the reservoir for excellent evaporative cooling. This method works well (expect a 10F drop in res. temp), but humidity and tds will increase, and more frequent topping up will be required.

I use a dehumidifier so i will be able to recycle the humidity and gain its energy back in the form of drier warmer air.

A chart I found on evaporative cooling

Swamp_Cooler_rates.gif

According to a law of thermodynamics this will work to cool nutrient tanks even recirculating ones if the system is designed well.

I myself have not used a Swamp cooler before , had thought they cooled the air not the liquid they evaporate from but apparently it does both.

If you try this or are using the method post your results , I will not be able to try it out for a few more weeks when i start using a tank

The fan method would work best for RDWC and ebb & flow or for stored nutrients used for a conventional coco or dirt garden.

If a person did not have other options it could be made to work in DWC buckets.
I read of one person who used a computer fan to cycle air into and out of his DWC bucket.

Although imo , for DWC it would work better by adding more aeration or using a cooler source to draw air from

Aeration causes evaporation , mo air = mo evaporation

With dwc my advice is to move the aerator out of the grow room if heat is a issue or move it to a cool corner in the room if it has one.

Aerators allow temp control you can raise or lower them in a room to change the temperature. Depending on the air pump rating it takes around 24hrs to adjust.

I will be using a 20L/pm and two 15L/pm aerators (overkill) to aerate 4x 5G RDWC buckets with a plan to use the fan on a timer for the 20g resiviors temperature control.

I use a dehumidifier , otherwise the rooms humidity needs to be vented.

Back
Top Bottom