Fan placement question

Doctor Trevor

My 2' x 4' x 5' tent has the filter inside. The 4" inline fan is outside it, about three feet away, connected by flexible duct tubing. With two plants blooming, half of my apartment smells of weed.

I'm considering moving the fan to my window where it will blow straight out to the street. To do this, I would need to use about ten feet of duct. Would this extra duct cause extra stress with the fan? Would I need a bigger/second fan?

Rearrange your filter, run duct from the tent to the floor, tie the fan in, then to the filter.

This might save a foot or two in duct.

I could run the duct along some shelving. Maybe cut a foot from the length. Do it this way.

Mainly it reduces stench and siphons off heat. Inside the tent the filter is causing to much resistance pulling air through it so put the fan in front of the filter.

I use a 5 gallon bucket with cardboard on top to set the fan on, then a few inches of duct to the fan.

4in fans aren't good for much except moving farts out of the bathroom. They just don't have enough nuts to really move any air after you stick a filter on them. It takes a fair bit of static pressure to move any volume of air through 4in duct. Also flex duct isn't designed to be used under negative pressure so your likely not getting a full 4in inside diameter which drags everything down even more.

Back
Top Bottom