Farside05's Low Dough Auto Grow - White Cheese & Cream Caramel

3rd grow getting started. I started the 1st in Jiffy pellets, 2nd straight into soil, this time I'm using the paper towel method to germinate them.

I have plenty of money tied up in my tent, lights, filter, fans, etc. but I am calling this a low dough grow because compared to what others have spent or are spending, its relatively tame. I'll be using 4 of the old style Mars Hydro 300w lights (180w each actual draw). To get a comparable amount of light you could spend far more than the $250 these 4 cost. Next up, nutrients. I'll be using Dyna Gro's Foliage Pro and Pro Tekt from start to finish. It's one of the cheapest fertilizers around and has all the minerals included in one part. No fancy bloom boosters, separate grow and bloom formulas, Cal-Mag, etc., all I'm going to use is the 2 products I mentioned, other than a small amount of PH Down to adjust to my desire range. I was able to finish my last 2 grows with one 8oz, $13 bottle of Foliage Pro and I used 1/2 of one 8oz bottle of Pro Tekt (about $7 a bottle). Of course now I've replenished stock and bought bigger bottles, so the cost per ounce of each is even cheaper. So pretty cheap stuff compared to the cost of other company's base nutrients plus several other additives.

Here are the other particulars:

Strains: 2 White Cheese Autos by Dinafem, 2 Sweet Cream Caramel Autos by Sweet Seeds

Soil: Promix BX + 20% perlite. I'd just use straight Pro Mix to cut cost more but I already had the perlite.

Pots: 3 gallon fabric pots

Lights: 4 old style Mars Hydro 300w LED's (180w actual draw)

Fertilizer: Dyna Gro Foliage Pro, Dyna Gro Pro Tekt

Ventilation: 27" Tower fan, 6" 240 CFM duct fan connected to a 6" carbon filter

Tent: 32"x32"x63"

Light schedule: 18 hours on, 6 hours off

Target PH: 6.2

Water: Reverse Osmosis with a starting PPM pf 11

My feeding plan: I will start feeding them at 1/8 tsp per gallon of Foliage Pro, and increase by 1/8 tsp per gallon, each feed, until I reach 3/4 tsp of Foliage Pro. That will continue until they start to bloom, at which time I'll up it to 1 tsp of Foliage Pro. The whole grow they will get 1/4 tsp of Pro Tekt per feed. I feed every watering and water as needed by pot weight. At the beginning of the grow it might be every 4-5 days just because they are small and aren't drinking that much and they may only take a half liter or so. By the time we get to the end, they should be drinking a gallon each, every other day.

Dropped the seeds into some water this AM. Excited to get this grow started and hope you come along for the ride.

:welcome:

re: Farside05's Low Dough Auto Grow, White Cheese & Cream Carmel

Thanks Nismo! I fumbled around like a rookie on my 1st grow and made all the wrong assumptions. Was still a bit confused on my 2nd at the beginning. Had one plant that was 9 days younger than the other 3. Learned a little on the older ones and felt like I really got it dialed in just as the younger one started to hit her growth spurt. As such, she turned out to be a beautiful, green, low maintenance baby. Every leaf was pristine, no yellowing, spots, tip burn, etc. That was at least till I flushed her at the end. The last 2 days I did get a couple yellow leafs, but that was to be expected under the circumstances. Hoping all 4 of these are like that this time.

Forgot to add that I'm planning on topping these 4. Haven't tried that yet, so that will be a new experience.

re: Farside05's Low Dough Auto Grow, White Cheese & Cream Carmel

You live and you learn. Experience doesn't come cheap in This hobby. Glad you're having another go at it, it always gets better the next time around. Keep up the good vibes and good things will happen, they will be grand I'm sure. Can't wait.

KiG :green_heart:cheers

All the seeds germinated in the paper towel. Filled the 3 gallon fabric pots with Promix + 20% Perlite. Gave each pot an initial watering in (1 gallon of RO water + 1/8 tsp Foliage Pro). Planted each seed tap root down. Used a bit more of the water/Foliage Pro mixture to water in the seed, just to make sure everything was good and moist. I then placed a plastic water bottle that I cut the top off of over the area I planted the seed in, making a mini little greenhouse over the seed. I do this to try to keep that top layer of the Promix from drying out too quickly. No lights or fans are on in the tent yet. Once they break soil I'll flip the switch and its go time. I'll take the bottles off them then too (the fan blows them off anyway). Can't wait to see little green leafs.

Planting_Day2.jpg

Pity about the birthmark Hal..... Subbed....

Funny you mention that Grizz, someone wore that T-shirt to work this AM but it was a knockoff and missing the "Hal" part. Of course I knew it was missing 1 word but I doubt many others would.

We'll call today Day 1. Everyone is above ground. White Cheese 2 needed a little surgery. The seed coat was kinda stuck on her and she needed a little assistance to get free. Hopefully I was able to do it gently enough as to not disturb her roots and leafs.

White Cheese 2 still hadn't unfolded after I got the seed coat off (or at least I thought I did). Got out the jewlers loop and saw there was still some stuck on the underside. Got that bit off and now she's free. On the down side, she wasn't rooted well and came free from the soil. She only has a stubby fat tap root of a little over 1/2 inch. I was careful not to touch her tap root and replanted her. I think she'll bounce back. The next couple days will tell.

She'll be fine....you don't want to watch how I germ and plant my seeds, lol...

image35721.jpg

Notice the handling. Wouldn't say I plant seeds, lol....

Everyone got 3/4 liter drink last night (1/8 tsp Foliage Pro, 1/2 tsp of Pro Tekt). White Cheese #2 still isn't out of the woods. From being all stuck together, one of her cotyledon leafs is yellow and the other has a spot on it. The first true leafs are trying their best to open up. Not throwing in the towel just yet. On my 1st grow I had a seed with a helmet and although she was a little behind at the start, she ended up being one of my nicer plants.

Day 6

3/19 Girls got an increase on their feed rate. 1/4 tsp of Foliage Pro,1/2 tsp Pro Tekt. Except for the lowly White Cheese #2, she still only got 1/8 tsp Foliage Pro in her liquid. Eveyone got 36 oz.

Day 8

3/21 Everyone got 48 oz of 1/4 tsp Foliage Pro, 1/4 tsp Pro Tekt, 48 oz of liquid. That will probably last them 3 days. White Cheese #2 is still stalled out and not doing anything above ground. Her true leafs are still tiny and she's really functioning on 1 half assed cotyledon leaf that has some noticeable damage from being stuck to the other that I'm pretty certain is a goner. The whole plant hasn't shriveled and died which is the only reason I have any hope for recovery. I'll give her another week then I'm dropping a new seed. Moved the lights down from 24" to 18". Plants are so boring at this stage. The excitement of seeing them break the ground is over and there's not much else to do to them (ie ponytail, top, tuck, defoliate, train, etc). About another week then they'll get more interesting.

Day 12

Things are moving along. White Cheese 2 is rounding the corner. Her 1st set of true leafs have opened fully. She's behind but looks like she'll make it. Everyone else is just doing their thing. Wife closed the whole closet up last night and tried to cook the crap out of them. Was 100 in the tent this AM and the thermometer showed a high temp of 107! They look none the worse for ware. Wouldn't say I want to do that daily. Everyone got 48 oz of a mixture of 1/4 tsp Foliage Pro & 1/4 tsp of Pro Tekt per gallon.

Cream Caramel 1
Cream_Caramel_1.JPG

Cream Caramel 2
Cream_Caramel_2.JPG

White Cheese 1
White_Cheese_1.JPG

White Cheese 2
White_Cheese_2.JPG

Day 14

The ladies hit their 2 week birthday today. Each got a 60 oz drink of a mixture 3/8 tsp Foliage Pro, and 1/4 tsp Pro Tekt. That worked out to 185 PPM or .37 EC if you're playing along at home. Cream Caramel 1 is leading the charge, Cream Caramel 2 & White Cheese 1 are tired for 2nd, with White Cheese 2 bringing up the rear.

Day 18

Yesterday the girls got another 48oz of liquid (1/2 tsp Foliage Pro & 1/4 tsp Pro Tekt). Although the largest of all the girls, Cream Caramel is a mutant. Her leafs are irregular and not growing in the typical sets. Hopefully she'll grow out of it. I love looking in the tent now. You can check on them a couple times a day and notice growth every time.

Cream Caramel 1
Cream_Caramel_11.JPG

Cream Caramel 2
Cream_Caramel_21.JPG

White Cheese 1
White_Cheese_11.JPG

White Cheese 2
White_Cheese_21.JPG

They are coming along man... Healthy looking girls...I love the twisted strugglers..I get more out of growing a struggler and getting her harvested...

Day 21

Thought I'd post some pics at their 3 week birthday. Everyone got a big drink yesterday (1/2 tsp Foliage Pro, 1/4 tsp Pro Tekt). Although irregular, Cream Caramel 1 is still the biggest plant. White Cheese 1 looks like she has taken the second spot, followed closely by Cream Caramel 2. White Cheese 2, although smallest, looks to have overcome all of her previous difficulties and is growing nicely now. Looking forward to the next couple weeks and the growth explosion that they should bring.

Cream Caramel 1
Cream_Caramel_12.jpg

Cream Caramel 2
Cream_Caramel_22.jpg

White Cheese 1
White_Cheese_12.jpg

White Cheese 2
White_Cheese_22.jpg

Day 28

Everyone is still being fed at the 1/2 tsp Foliage Pro and 1/4 tsp Pro Tekt per gallon. Just started some pony tail training on Cream Caramel 2 and White Cheese 1 this morning. Will do that for maybe about 5 days then i'll bend 'em over. Cream Caramel 1 is still a twisted mutant mess, but she keeps branching. Not sure if she'll ever put out some normal foliage. Will be interesting to see what she does come flowering time.

Cream Caramel 1
third_Cream_Caramel_1.JPG

Cream Caramel 2
third_Cream_Caramel_2.JPG

White Cheese 1
third_White_Cheese_1.JPG

White Cheese 2
third_White_Cheese_2.JPG

Group Photo
third_Group.JPG

a lot of growth in the last week, coming along nicely farside...

Back
Top Bottom