FDA May Legalize Pot Medicine, But Only For Big Pharma

420 Warrior

The pressure is on for researchers and pharmaceutical companies to develop drug-based, non-synthetic versions of marijuana for medical use, as the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is poised to approve such varieties in the near future. But this potential approval appears to be reserved only for Big Pharma, as the marijuana plant itself could continue to remain a controlled substance at the federal level with no recognized health benefits.

The Associated Press (AP) reports that GW Pharma, a British pharmaceutical company, is currently undergoing advanced clinical trials for the world's first drug made from raw marijuana, which it will seek FDA approval for by the end of 2013. There are currently a number of synthetic cannabinoid drugs on the market that have been approved by the FDA, but none that incorporate actual marijuana

Known as Sativex, the marijuana spray contains both delta 9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and cannabidiol, which are considered to be raw marijuana's two most well-known active components. GW Pharma is hoping to receive US FDA approval of Sativex for the treatment of cancer pain, as the drug has already been approved in several other countries for the treatment of muscle spasm pain caused by multiple sclerosis.

While this is great news on the medical marijuana front in America, it does not necessarily imply that either the FDA or the US Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) will loosen its regulatory grip on the actual marijuana plant. Like regulators did with the stevia plant, marijuana could receive approval only in patented form from drug companies.

"To the extent that companies can produce effective medication that utilizes the components of [marijuana], that's great. But that should not be the exclusive access for people who want to be able to use medical marijuana," said Kris Hermes, a spokesman from the pro-marijuana group Americans for Safe Access.

"That's the race against time, in terms of how quickly can we put pressure on the federal government to recognize the plant has medical use versus the government coming out with the magic bullet pharmaceutical pill."

If the federal government does approve Sativex and other drug-based forms of real marijuana, though, it will have to change its official position that marijuana has no medical benefits. If the plant's two most known ingredients are approved for medical use as a drug, in other words, the government's only choice to remain consistent will be to finally admit that marijuana does have medicinal value, and thus legalize it.

m.gif

News Hawk - 420 Warrior 420 MAGAZINE
Source: Natural News
Author: Jonathan Benson
Copyright: Natural News Network © 2011

It may happen as explained above, initially. Either way I think it will be a benefit in the long run. Sativex, with it's $1,100 per month price tag will certainly be labeled as a "rich man's drug" and we may get the big insurance companies lobbying dollars on our side that will have to pay for it. Insurance companies don't like the prospects of Sativex when they don't have to pay for anyone's use of MMJ now.

It may happen as explained above, initially. Either way I think it will be a benefit in the long run. Sativex, with it's $1,100 per month price tag will certainly be labeled as a "rich man's drug" and we may get the big insurance companies lobbying dollars on our side that will have to pay for it. Insurance companies don't like the prospects of Sativex when they don't have to pay for anyone's use of MMJ now.

Hmm? Very interesting out take on this budbro. :bravo:

I haven't even thought about what the insurance companies would say about this stuff and I would have to agree with you that they would probably deny patient coverage of it.

Where did you come up with the "$1,100 per month price tag"? I haven't seen the pricing for this in any of the articles I've been reading about it...Just curious?

I've seen the price floating around the web and on different youtube vids. Official site says roughly $500 per month base price, then everyone else has to get their cut. They also have major shortage problems, as we all know it takes 4 months to grow and if approved in the U.S. it will definitely be on the shortage watch list for a while.

I could certainly see a need for this stuff, where a person is in the hospitable, hospice or in a situation where they can't get medicated with Cannabis any other way?

I would think this wouldn't be too far off from a tincture though, so my question would be..."Exactly, what's the difference in this stuff and what collectives and people who make tinctures, have already been doing for years now?"

Why should this be approved? When edibles and tinctures have been around for decades!...What makes Sativex so much more special than the tried and true medicine, people have already been using for years?

I don't believe an aerosol can makes this any different than what should have already been approved to start with...IMO!

I could certainly see a need for this stuff, where a person is in the hospitable, hospice or in a situation where they can't get medicated with Cannabis any other way?

I would think this wouldn't be too far off from a tincture though, so my question would be..."Exactly, what's the difference in this stuff and what collectives and people who make tinctures, have already been doing for years now?"

Why should this be approved? When edibles and tinctures have been around for decades!...What makes Sativex so much more special than the tried and true medicine, people have already been using for years?

I don't believe an aerosol can makes this any different than what should have already been approved to start with...IMO!
It's not much difference than a tincture at all. One difference is that it is derived in a strictly controlled environment that produces a constant and consistent dose. The HUGE, HUGE, difference is they don't call it some ridiculous name such as "meanie greenie oil" that scares the hell out of the general public. Not trying to bash dispensaries, but 99.99% of them provide a disservice to themselves and the industry by selling medicine under the names of "green crack", "LS*D", and etc. Big Pharma hires smart people to do their marketing and win over public opinion, dispensaries, well, I'm not sure they even realize there is a battle to be fought, yet?

"If the plant's two most known ingredients are approved for medical use as a drug, in other words, the government's only choice to remain consistent will be to finally admit that marijuana does have medicinal value, and thus legalize it."

Is the author assuming some rationality on the part of the government?

Is the author assuming some rationality on the part of the government?

I find it funny, yet totally frustrating when and author, obviously has no idea what their talking about, when they talk about Cannabis.

It's humorous, in the fact that they stumble in their wordage and real-life-based facts about Cannabis.

But when you look at the big picture of the deception and false statements they make about it, it's a total travesty and negates the facts that we, as Canna users, have known forever.

I just wish these people would dig deep and do their homework before publishing articles about our beloved plant, whether they are in favor of it or not...just get the facts straight!

They just need to consult with real world veteran smokers before they publish things that aren't true, or even things that dance around the truth.

It's easy for us to know the difference between an article that's written by a novice or non-user and when it's been written by a real, long time user of Canna...at least, it's easy for me to tell the difference anyway...lol

I hate to tell these writers this but..."Smoking pot a few times in collage, doesn't make you an authority on the subject"

Personally, I started occasionally smoking herb back in 1983 and became an everyday/all day smoker in 1987 so, I'd consider myself, pretty much an authority on the subject (Much like most of you) and I can honestly say that most of these guys are really struggling to get it straight with their limited knowledge of real-world life as a devout user of the sacred herb...They are just not as passionate about it as we are.

All that being said, I'm glad to see them, at least trying it on for size anyway...And in that respect, I welcome their attempts, feeble as they may be.

It's all part of the learning process that we call "Cannabis Awareness"

Maybe we should "campaign" to contact these authors, in an effort to fill in the blanks that most of them are missing in their writings? IDK?

If any of you see something an author misses or get's wrong, just go to the source info we provide at the bottom of each news post and use the contact info to actually contact them and let them know the way it really is!? Does that make sense?

Maybe, you can teach them something? Maybe, they might even start getting better with their wordage and facts....MAYBE, you can even talk them in to coming here to use us as a source of better research for their articles!?

The mass media needs a "Cannabis based face lift of truth" and it's people like us that will have to set the record straight!!!

IMO, "Sativex" is nothing more than an already, well established delivery system, placed in an aerosol can and the people backing it are being allowed to obtain a patent on it, while all these authors are writing about it and just acting like it's something new to the scene...sorry but...it ain't!

"If the plant's two most known ingredients are approved for medical use as a drug, in other words, the government's only choice to remain consistent will be to finally admit that marijuana does have medicinal value, and thus legalize it"

Wish it worked that way, the feds have had a patent on it for decades and a had a government program where they grew and dispensed marijuana to American patients. I hope it helps legalize it, but politians and hypocricy are known to go hand-in-hand.

Back
Top Bottom