FelipeBlu’s Outdoor Hempy Photos & Autos 2020

You don't grow all year/inside?

No, I no longer grow inside. 1. Domestic tranquillity 2. Domestic tranquillity 3. I’d rather grow out in the sun 4. No need to grow any more for a good long while. :lot-o-toke:

This post is a continuation of the musings on setout times and light dep that I started over in bluter’s journal. It seems more polite to think out loud here in my own space.

So, I’m going to start with what I know:

During May - August, I have useable light (>2 DLI/hr) in my garden from ~0830 until ~1830.

Daylight starts decreasing 6/22.

With most hybrids here, I usually see bud set in mid- to late-July (~7/24), stretch until about second week of August, bud stacking begins mid-August, finished by mid-October.

From Here
During daylight, Pr absorbs 660nm red light and is converted to Pfr, which accumulates throughout the day. Pfr is the active form of phytochrome which inhibits florigen production when it accumulates in short day plants.

Pfr is unstable and during the hours of darkness slowly reverts back to Pr which then accumulates. The plant measures day length (or more precisely the length of darkness) by the amount of phytochrome existing in each of the two forms. In daylight Pfr is the main form.

Now, I’m going to muse..

Since the full moon doesn’t affect flowering, the end of Nautical Twilight/beginning of Astronomical Twilight should be dark enough (AT is when the sun is still within 18 degrees of the horizon, and provides enough light to prevent astronomers from seeing dim stellar objects - but the full moon is brighter).

Sometime between June 22 (17.2 hrs Nautical) and July 24 (16.57 hrs Nautical) the plants accumulate enough florigen to initiate bud set. This happens after the daylight is short enough/there are enough hours of darkness.

I would expect that once the critical level of florigen has been reached, bud set probably occurs fairly quickly - maybe within a week?

So, let’s say that this occurs on July 17, when there are 16.78 hrs Nautical here (04:52 - 21:39).

(May 24 = 16.78 hrs Nautical (04:44 - 21:31)

If I want to initiate flowering, I need to restrict total daylight to 16.78 hrs Nautical or less.

Easiest for me is to cover in the evening.

If I want a 10-week flowering plant finished by mid-August - I need to start initiating bud set in late May.

So, the plan will be:

Start seeds late April - set out mid-May - start covering on May 25 from 20:00 to 22:00.

The plants will be covered for 2 hours after the hot light is gone for the day (minimal ventilation needed - and the gathering twilight is less useful anyway), and they will be able to breathe uncovered all night.

I always check the times when you actually post these thesis. Seems to fall sometime after the 4:20pm time of the day. Some very deep thinking but is all checks out. So i feel you are on to something with this idea of pushing flowering.

I'm curious what your procedure is for the dry ice hash. I've got lots of trim that I'm wondering how to use. :reading420magazine:

And this too!

Well, I’ve never done it, but it looks easy on utube. From what I have seen, you put a couple ounces of trim in the 73 micron bag, add a couple of ounces of dry ice, and then shake gently over a smooth surface (glass is good). Scrape up.

For my “COBs”, I tightly rolled the pretty fresh trimmed bud in the Foodsaver bag, vacuumed, sweated in an old slow cooker (with an inch of water) at 110 - 130F (I would try to not go over 110 next time - it’s supposed to preserve the colors better and be less narcotic) for 24 hrs, then opened, dried, revacuumed, and they are now fermenting at 75 - 85F for a week. Basically trying to follow the directions in the Tangwena thread - just without the corn husks.

For my “COBs”, I tightly rolled the pretty fresh trimmed bud in the Foodsaver bag, vacuumed, sweated in an old slow cooker (with an inch of water) at 110 - 130F (I would try to not go over 110 next time - it’s supposed to preserve the colors better and be less narcotic) for 24 hrs, then opened, dried, revacuumed, and they are now fermenting at 75 - 85F for a week. Basically trying to follow the directions in the Tangwena thread - just without the corn husks.

Whoa, I've never heard of this!

This post is a continuation of the musings on setout times and light dep that I started over in bluter’s journal. It seems more polite to think out loud here in my own space.

So, I’m going to start with what I know:

During May - August, I have useable light (>2 DLI/hr) in my garden from ~0830 until ~1830.

Daylight starts decreasing 6/22.

With most hybrids here, I usually see bud set in mid- to late-July (~7/24), stretch until about second week of August, bud stacking begins mid-August, finished by mid-October.

From Here
During daylight, Pr absorbs 660nm red light and is converted to Pfr, which accumulates throughout the day. Pfr is the active form of phytochrome which inhibits florigen production when it accumulates in short day plants.

Pfr is unstable and during the hours of darkness slowly reverts back to Pr which then accumulates. The plant measures day length (or more precisely the length of darkness) by the amount of phytochrome existing in each of the two forms. In daylight Pfr is the main form.

Now, I’m going to muse..

Since the full moon doesn’t affect flowering, the end of Nautical Twilight/beginning of Astronomical Twilight should be dark enough (AT is when the sun is still within 18 degrees of the horizon, and provides enough light to prevent astronomers from seeing dim stellar objects - but the full moon is brighter).

Sometime between June 22 (17.2 hrs Nautical) and July 24 (16.57 hrs Nautical) the plants accumulate enough florigen to initiate bud set. This happens after the daylight is short enough/there are enough hours of darkness.

I would expect that once the critical level of florigen has been reached, bud set probably occurs fairly quickly - maybe within a week?

So, let’s say that this occurs on July 17, when there are 16.78 hrs Nautical here (04:52 - 21:39).

(May 24 = 16.78 hrs Nautical (04:44 - 21:31)

If I want to initiate flowering, I need to restrict total daylight to 16.78 hrs Nautical or less.

Easiest for me is to cover in the evening.

If I want a 10-week flowering plant finished by mid-August - I need to start initiating bud set in late May.

So, the plan will be:

Start seeds late April - set out mid-May - start covering on May 25 from 20:00 to 22:00.

The plants will be covered for 2 hours after the hot light is gone for the day (minimal ventilation needed - and the gathering twilight is less useful anyway), and they will be able to breathe uncovered all night.
:ciao: Hi @FelipeBlu, I found your Bebo1 in the rubbermaid tote when I was waiting on my first ever seeds to arrive... long story short-ish it enticed me into an intense 5 month crash course here at 420 and I generally don't play well with others...
Wanted to say it is good to see you back and your notes encourage me to keep at it and learn more and more.
Kudos, teach!

Thanks Felipe! The dry ice hash does seem pretty straight-forward. I'll order a set of those mesh bags and give it a try. The cobs sound interesting - maybe I'll give it a try on a few buds when I harvest my last plant (Killer Haze). :thanks:

:ciao: Hi @FelipeBlu, I found your Bebo1 in the rubbermaid tote when I was waiting on my first ever seeds to arrive... long story short-ish it enticed me into an intense 5 month crash course here at 420 and I generally don't play well with others...
Wanted to say it is good to see you back and your notes encourage me to keep at it and learn more and more.
Kudos, teach!

That’s very kind, Konk - Muchas Gracias!
:Namaste:

Have you started a hempy yet?

:love: your avatar! (and a Canuck ta boot!)

Muchas gracias Felipe!

Wow.. I'm slowly making my way through that thread.

Makes me wonder whether Thai stick back in the day had some similar attributes, for being wrapped and stored for long periods etc.

That’s very kind, Konk - Muchas Gracias!
:Namaste:

Have you started a hempy yet?

:love: your avatar! (and a Canuck ta boot!)
I have not started a hempy, I have sort of a cobbled together style here on the dirt empire lol ... maybe someday ;)

Back
Top Bottom