FelipeBlu’s Outdoor Hempy Photos & Autos 2020

how the watering and nutrients are supplied.

It’s very easy. Mix up your fertilizer solution, pour into perlite (I like to cover the hole with my finger, fill it up about 2 inches above the hole, and then let go) until you get at least 10-15% runoff. That’s it! I like to fertigate often as I am a big fan of refreshing the air in the pot. I believe it provides better hygiene and results in a healthy plant.

Try it! You might like it!

And did you think that I forgot, or that the training wouldn’t continue..just because of a little housing upgrade? :laugh:
AD097C46-CB42-4BEC-ADEA-5374540C50D7.jpeg

I was concerned that if I put the plant too high above the reservoir, and it didn’t wick up past 12”, I wouldn’t get good root growth filling the upper part of the perlite. I put the top of the existing root ball about 11” above the reservoir, so that the upper roots would have moist perlite to grow into, and hopefully populate all of the perlite. At the end, I want to pull out a tub-shaped mass of perlite and roots.

I was concerned that if I put the plant too high above the reservoir, and it didn’t wick up past 12”, I wouldn’t get good root growth filling the upper part of the perlite. I put the top of the existing root ball about 11” above the reservoir, so that the upper roots would have moist perlite to grow into, and hopefully populate all of the perlite. At the end, I want to pull out a tub-shaped mass of perlite and roots.
Of course! I get it. I forgot about the wicking ability of the Perlite. Makes complete sense at that point. I guess going with the bottom of the root ball at about 8inches or so would be the highest you could start with. Have you actually found documented info on how high perlite wicks?

Only what was documented by my own experience. And it’s in keeping with what @Tead found with his hempy pipes.

Hi Tead, welcome! Scroll up.
We need to see what type of research can be done on this. You know some scientific process type stuff.

Ya pour a gallon of water into a 5 gallon bucket, fill with perlite, let sit overnight, dig down until you hit moist perlite, measure.
Not sure but that might be fairly technical. I'll give it a shot though when I do up my 2gal bucket to start with. :p

We’re on the first day of a 4 or 5 day heat wave. Currently 93F in the shade, but there’s a nice breeze. Going up to ~103-105F on Tuesday, before dropping back to the 70s by next Saturday. Such is our summer bake - aaah cycle. The kids are loving it. The bucket awaits BeBo2 later this afternoon. Don’t want to expose roots in midday!
B428B7CC-90B0-4947-B88B-60B7E686D850.jpeg

And the baby Kryptonites are enjoying the sunny day too.
509E8323-F9CB-422A-8FA2-0C7167D0D4AD.jpeg

Since I’m just sitting in the shade, I wanted to follow up on a post in Shed’s thread. And explain why I am cautious about providing too much potassium.

From
Here:

Over-use of high-potassium fertilisers can cause magnesium deficiency, as plants take up potassium in preference to magnesium.

So basically, the plant doesn’t get its Mg first like it should - it sucks up K like it’s sugar. If you let it, the plant will reach what are called “Luxury levels” of K, to the exclusion of Mg.

Say, hypothetically, a plant can only uptake 300 cations a day, and the choices are K, Ca, Mg, and Fe. If your plant uptakes a total K and Ca of 275 cations, and your plant needs 40 cations of Mg, there will be a Mg deficiency. Most Mg deficiencies are caused by giving too much K.

And if that happens, also from the RHS:

In the short term, apply Epsom salts as a foliar feed in summer. Dilute the salts at a rate of 20g of Epsom salts per litre of water (1/3oz per pint) plus a few drops of liquid detergent. Apply two or three times at fortnightly intervals, spraying in dull weather to avoid leaf scorch.

We need to see what type of research can be done on this. You know some scientific process type stuff.
I don't wear a lab coat but, I did fiddle with some of this theory with the hempy pipe tubes I made. All that was based on @Tead findings that perlite wicks up at 12 inches. I did post that stuff at the headquarters around page 140 or so.

I was fertigating every 48 hours. The roots travel 7 inches in 8 days. I verified that with them shooting out the drain hole. These numbers are close but not exact as I didn't do this in a see-through container. My hands-on experience tells me that 12 inches is a good base number. I feel the reservoir distance can be increased but, doing so might include more than usual fertigating to help the roots stay humid.

I am sure if Blu wanted to put more perlite under his transplant he could have. If he was willing to dump some nutes down it every day for a few days or more. At that point you would be certain that the plant was feeding itself. At the 12 inches he went with the roots don't really skip a beat.

Hi Tead, welcome! Scroll up.

Dammit. Pain in my old ass.
Big tubs and ropes! I really think the ropes are key here. Support and falling plants is always a problem if you start playing with larger plants. You're shooting for a big mass of top heavy plants here... hell, I'd bet you end up in some sort of tomato cage configuration with large supports up the sides of the tub.

No apparent trauma from the up-pot.

I've never seen a problem with a perlite to perlite change. One of the things that remind you you're really in hydro.

I had thought you would have more Perlite
didn’t wick up past 12”

My experience exactly. That's why I never made pots larger than 12" high. I tested taller, but quickly discovered the wicking limit.

Fun stuff man! Outdoor? Are you mostly rain free? Rain and storms will be a big enemy.

Heya my man! Good to see you.

No, not much rain here (likely zero) until right before Thanksgiving. Fires, yes. Rain, no.

Ya, I was going to get some 4” welded wire mesh, and provide caged support up to 5 feet. I’m hoping to keep the tops of the colas below 7 feet.

Back
Top Bottom