Fellow Canadians - So What's The Deal With Dispensaries?

flytier

I thought dispensaries were places to obtain MMJ and basically the same as an LP, but apparently not. I'm in Canada, and if a fellow Canadian could enlighten me on the legalities and stuff I'd appreciate it.

So I'm in the process of getting my MMJ prescription - I think I'll have it next month - and during my consultation this morning I was told that it would be illegal for me to get my stuff at a dispensary. It has left me rather confused as to their purpose. If they're not for obtaining prescription weed, and if it's still not legal to sell in Canada, what is a dispensary for? Or is there something so blatantly obvious WRT them that I'm just missing it?

It has me curious more than anything. Have a good one.

The LPs are the delivery system for MMJ in Canada. Your prescription is actually a medical document specific to an LP. It's likely your physician will send it directly to the LP. You will then be able to order to your limit with that LP, and ONLY with that LP. You need a separate medical document for each LP.

Some people split their scripts between multiple LPs. Let's say your doc prescribes 2g/day. Some people have that split to a gram each at 2 different LPs to give them more selection and stock reliability. The doc then completes and sends in a 1g document for each of the LPs.

Dispensaries operate outside of this structure. They're legal business selling something illegal. Caveat emptor. That said, I think the chances of getting into trouble buying from a dispensary are small and for some people that's an acceptable risk. If you have a prescription, the purchase from the dispensary is the only illegal part, since you can legally enter the premises and can legally possess and transport as many as 150g.

The dispensaries typically have you sign up for an ID specific to the dispensary. Some ask you for proof of your medical condition but this isn't enforced in my experience. The dispensary bud is sourced by the dispensary (LPs sell only that which they grow themselves, or contract from other LPs). So it's "street weed".

Our LP system is supposed to cover us, but once you've been in the LP system a few months you'll realize there are at times significant availability gaps. Some people use the dispensaries to bridge those gaps.

The LPs are the delivery system for MMJ in Canada. Your prescription is actually a medical document specific to an LP. It's likely your physician will send it directly to the LP. You will then be able to order to your limit with that LP, and ONLY with that LP. You need a separate medical document for each LP.

Some people split their scripts between multiple LPs. Let's say your doc prescribes 2g/day. Some people have that split to a gram each at 2 different LPs to give them more selection and stock reliability. The doc then completes and sends in a 1g document for each of the LPs.

Dispensaries operate outside of this structure. They're legal business selling something illegal. Caveat emptor. That said, I think the chances of getting into trouble buying from a dispensary are small and for some people that's an acceptable risk. If you have a prescription, the purchase from the dispensary is the only illegal part, since you can legally enter the premises and can legally possess and transport as many as 150g.

The dispensaries typically have you sign up for an ID specific to the dispensary. Some ask you for proof of your medical condition but this isn't enforced in my experience. The dispensary bud is sourced by the dispensary (LPs sell only that which they grow themselves, or contract from other LPs). So it's "street weed".

Our LP system is supposed to cover us, but once you've been in the LP system a few months you'll realize there are at times significant availability gaps. Some people use the dispensaries to bridge those gaps.

Thanks for that info, it does clear up a bit of fuzzy area there. Now if I were to go to a dispensary, would I have to be registered with them or anything like with an LP? Not sure if I have any intention to do so, but if nothing else it'll satiate my curiosity.

For now, I'm growing a few plants of my own to try bridging gaps. I get my scrip in 10 days time, so as long as I have something for the chronic back pain for now I'll be happy.

Thanks for that info, it does clear up a bit of fuzzy area there. Now if I were to go to a dispensary, would I have to be registered with them or anything like with an LP? Not sure if I have any intention to do so, but if nothing else it'll satiate my curiosity.

For now, I'm growing a few plants of my own to try bridging gaps. I get my scrip in 10 days time, so as long as I have something for the chronic back pain for now I'll be happy.
Yeah, they usually have you register with them. I've gone to a couple. One had me fill out a form and list my medical conditions treatable by cannabis. Another had me show my LP ID card as proof I was a medical user and wanted to see my driver's license as well. Up to you how comfortable you are with them having that kind of info.

Good luck bridging those gaps. I know how tough having reliable access to good bud is back east.

Do you have a list of the best LPs to order bud from?

It's entirely subjective. Some LPs have better options than others for CBD strains for example. Some offer oils while others don't. Most people have only used a fraction of them so it's hard to get a more objective view. The Canadients subreddit and the Lift Q&A section have no shortage of opinionated people. There are review up on Lift if you want to get a feel for what people are saying.

Broken Coast is the LP I've seen recommended the most, but they don't offer oils and have few CBD options. If I was adding another LP I'd give them a try. I'm with 2 LPs and both have strengths and weaknesses.

Yeah, they usually have you register with them. I've gone to a couple. One had me fill out a form and list my medical conditions treatable by cannabis. Another had me show my LP ID card as proof I was a medical user and wanted to see my driver's license as well. Up to you how comfortable you are with them having that kind of info.

Good luck bridging those gaps. I know how tough having reliable access to good bud is back east.

Sounds interesting for sure. Once I'm set up I may just have to take a look around. The bud situation really sucks bad for me because I'm not from this area and I'm sure you know yourself that paranoia runs high in the black market. But once the days get a bit shorter I'll have some real beauties budding. They are out on the front deck and when I walk out the door I'm almost blown away from the beautiful aroma.

Do you have a list of the best LPs to order bud from?

I'm going to be set up with CannTrust in Ontario. They have 3 oils, a CBD, a THC and a 1:1. Not much for CBD weed, only 1 strain I think, but a few different THCs, Plus quite a bit of paraphernalia, for lack of better term, like vaporizers and the like.

Search for the Jane Exchange for a good listing of LPs in Canada & their products. That said, you can easily buy online from numerous dispensaries in BC & get product in the mail. Most just require age verification.

Yeah, if you're comfortable going outside the legal system, the MOMs are gaining in popularity significantly. I know people who swear by them. The Canadients Subreddit might be a good place to start learning about MOMs.

Search for the Jane Exchange for a good listing of LPs in Canada & their products. That said, you can easily buy online from numerous dispensaries in BC & get product in the mail. Most just require age verification.

Once I get set up I'll have mine delivered right to my door in something like a day or two. And speaking of those oils, even though they are made for oral ingestion, is it possible to smoke it? I like the idea of getting the ingredients hitting as fast as possible.

Yeah, if you're comfortable going outside the legal system, the MOMs are gaining in popularity significantly. I know people who swear by them. The Canadients Subreddit might be a good place to start learning about MOMs.

MOMs? Not familiar.

MOMs are 100% illegal. Same as dispensaries. Some claim their bud is generally superior to average street or LP bud. It's generally cheaper too. I've seen LP prices go up to $17.50/g at MedReleaf, which is highway robbery and in my view, exploitative of sick people.

LP oil is edible but not smokeable. The oil I have had is olive oil, sunflower oil, or coconut oil infused with extracted THC or CBD.

Make sure your LP expectations are managed. Yes, you'll get bud to your door quickly. But not all LP weed is great. I'm pretty selective these days about buying from LPs. I bought fairly frequently early on but I'm far more picky now.

One interesting wrinkle. If you go through the ACMPR process to grow at home, you can buy from ANY LP.

Really Dobe? How does that work? I just send the LP a copy of my ACMPR license?

Yep! Send that in with the LP's registration form, apparently. Not sure if you had to tick the "I require interim supply" box for this access. I haven't done it yet. Trying to stop buying LP bud (he says, as he opens a new shipment of LP Purps). I might try in the fall though, I want to see if Broken Coast is that good or just hype, and I wanted to try some of the smaller LPs.

If anyone cares to listen, dispensaries are not bad and evil. They have been serving medical patients before the LP'S. Just do some research, yeah it's "street weed" but so is everything we all grow. I've personally had great experiences with The Dispensary in BC. Much better pricing than my LP, and more choices, better availability, etc. Dispensaries buy from growers, like us, most with integrity, and morals. People who actually care about their crop.

If anyone cares to listen, dispensaries are not bad and evil. They have been serving medical patients before the LP'S. Just do some research, yeah it's "street weed" but so is everything we all grow. I've personally had great experiences with The Dispensary in BC. Much better pricing than my LP, and more choices, better availability, etc. Dispensaries buy from growers, like us, most with integrity, and morals. People who actually care about their crop.

Totally agree. I have bought mail order from BC & local dispensary. Excellent product, great selection, fair pricing. But, I am ready to grow so I am trying the legal route.

I actually agree with you both, was just trying to lay out the facts. There are definitely some dispensaries on the shadier side, but I've had some fantastic dispensary bud from places that clearly care about what they're doing. Just like your "guy" - I've had "guys" over the years who have been all over the spectrum. Some of the MOM bud is amazing from what I've heard. I just wish we didn't have sham laws that no one wants to respect or enforce. Once the federal government announced their timeline for legalization, they should have had a better solution to get dispensaries running legally. This was part of the Liberal campaign platform in the 2015 election, and it really seems to me like they're taking advantage of the political appetite for legalization to score political points heading into the Trudeau reelection campaign.

Apologies for bringing politics into it.

Back
Top Bottom